Uh-oh. I think I "caught" conceited.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uh-oh. I think I "caught" conceited.

This is almost exactly what my incoming voicemail said tonight. (Names have been changed)

"Yes Miss, My name is Jim and you spoke to my wife, Celeste, a week before Christmas about grooming our 13 yr. old Chow Mix that we just adopted in August.
    Because you told her you were booked full, we are calling to ask if you have 2 or 3 referrals for us"?

Sooooo...I call the gentleman back, pleasantries are exchanged, and I proceed to give him the names and numbers of 2 friends who groom and I trust.

I have NO idea what I was thinking????? Just trying to answer his question and help him out I guess?

I am met w/ TOTAL silence. The long, uncomfortable type where you finally say "hello, hellooooo"?

So he finally says..."Madam, we would like to talk to 2 or 3 of your clients to see if THEY would refer TO YOU"?

I was caught SO off-guard, I intelligently responded "Well, OF COURSE they would...they are my clients"!
    I can honestly say...this is the first time in 30 years...anyone has ever asked me for a [reference!], AND used the wrong word. ("referral")..ta boot!

I'm not dismissing the fact that he is doing the responsible thing...I think everyone should, and I would,...but jeez...it could have gone ALOT smoother!

How do you guys provide someone w/ this type of info? I have a few great Chow and ChowX clients, some I've been doing dogs for...for 25 years. Do I impose on them?
    How does this work????????

AND...what about ME getting "references" on the temperament and condition of his "just adopted in August" Chow Mix? He was referred by a vet that sends me some tuffies.
    Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Originally posted by 4Sibes View Post

How do you guys provide someone w/ this type of info? I have a few great Chow and ChowX clients, some I've been doing dogs for...for 25 years. Do I impose on them?
    How does this work????????
    WOW, now those are some old dogs! What is their secret?

Seriously though, I'm sure you probably have a few clients you've gotten fairly friendly with. I would call them and ask if they would mind providing a reference for you for a potential new client. One of my clients is my fathers ex-girlfriend and when I needed someone a reporter could interview I asked her. I knew she'd be honest of course, but I felt more comfortable and I was still pretty new and didn't have a lot of clients yet.
    What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

I actually have four or five clients I can refer to no questions asked. I am going tro have referene letter written by them and put them on my website now that you mention this. I think it is a great idea to clear with several good clients that you can give out their information to those requesting it. Most will not mind, if they know you are not handing out their information willy nilly. I have been asked three or four times for references. Not much different I would think than having references on a breeder.
      <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

i give out NO client info to anyone. i explain that i value my clients privacy. what you could do is ask a couple of clients to write a testimonial you could keep handy.
        that was one of those "huh" moments to be sure.
        Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
        "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Comment

websites

this is a really good reason to have a website and then have a section for photographs and client testimonials. It avoids having to impose on clients if there is a place you can point "inquiring minds" to
          You should have no problem setting up a flashy site to refer to!

Comment

Originally posted by AuntieBeth View Post
            this is a really good reason to have a website and then have a section for photographs and client testimonials. It avoids having to impose on clients if there is a place you can point "inquiring minds" to
            You should have no problem setting up a flashy site to refer to!
            Sigh. I know, I know. I actually went as far as putting one together (cuz it was FUN!)...but then thought "what the $#%& am I thinking"?
            My client roster is essentially full, has been for years,...I take on a very few REFERRALS from the local vets to maintain decent repoire w/ them, and the same applies to referrals from really excellent long time clients.
            It's all I can do to stay on top of my call-backs every night, I'm working as hard as I want to, and I don't want to expand/lease a shop/hire-train another groomer. Actually...I don't think I even can...given the conditions of my permit...but I don't want the head-aches anyway. BTDT.

Oh well...on the bright side...if this only happens once every 50 years...I don't have to deal w/ it again until I'm 100. By then....I'll need those references!
            Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

Client Phone numbers are private!

I would not allow any one that does work for me to give out my number, so that idiots I don't know can call me and ask personal questions or otherwise. Even if I really liked the job that person did.
              I've been asked. The best I will do is give them a phone number ofl a vet who refers me out. That is it. I have spent 30 + minutes talking to new potential dog owners before they give out an appointment. But when they ask for phone numbers, I get real nervous because I don't know who they are or if they have ulterior motives. I also have some pics on my website they can view.

Comment

lol.... kitty's avatar pic.

Kittypaw007! ( I see you have a twin to my cat in your avatar LOL )

To sibes, I have not had to deal with that situation yet, but I have a feeling you can handle anything! ( Ive been lurking long enough to know that Mikes thingies cure all! )
                Attached Files

Comment

Are you positive you even WANT to cultivate a 13 yr old, just adopted Chow as a new client???? Why don't you just give them Chicken Debbies name and hope for the best. Or better yet, you can give them my number. I will be happy to tell them a few Bernie grooming adventures! ^~^
                  SheilaB from SC

Comment

I don't give any client info either...Madam or not..

Comment

Originally posted by 4Sibes View Post
                      He was referred by a vet that sends me some tuffies.
                      That should have been enough of a referral for the guy..I think he was trying to stick it to you for not grooming their dog for St. Nick.

Comment

Yeah, maybe it's just me but I would be like well I'm still really booked up and unable to help you out at this time! I'm sure the other groomers would be so happy to have you as a client!
                        I love chows and have only one I like that doesn't have behavior issues and he is a mix!
                        Good Luck!

Comment

I want to clarify something. I have a few select, long term clients whom I have gotten permission from to give out their information. As I said in an erlier post "I think it is a great idea to clear with several good clients that you can give out their information to those requesting it." I would also never hand out willy nilly client information. BUT these people have agreed to talk to anyone who wants information. That makes it a different kettle of fish. WHY would you NOT want to have a few clients on a list to give out references? References are a good thing. ASKING for them is a GOOD THING.
                          <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

I don't get it...If you are booked full and sending them to another groomer, why do they need references on you?

Comment

There have been occasions when a "new" client has asked me for references for aparticular breed. I will contact some of my clients of that breed and ask them if it's ok to give out their # . Generally it's no problem, but I also have personal letters from vets for a reference. On my truck it states that I give references upon request.

Reading your post the first thing that came to my mind was...who adopts a 13yr old dog? then if they have had the dog since August where oh where have they taken it to be groomed?

Most of the time when I go into my speil about my experience and longevity working with dogs it usually placates them.

Comment

Working...
                              X