How to walk your yorkie (and toy poodle) in the winter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to walk your yorkie (and toy poodle) in the winter

First, you bundle up your bundles of joy in the nicest, coziest sweaters you have. Your yorkie must have one that covers his underbelly, because that is where the cold air really "bites."

You bundle yourself up in your sweater, gloves, warm socks, jeans, and a fluffy down vest, and head for the sidewalk. Oh, thank goodness, everybody has "mostly" cleared the snow away, so it's mostly sidewalk with packed flat snow.

You head up your lane, dogs in tow. You get halfway to your destination when your yorkie is limping. And gives you the 'It's just too cold, mom!' look. So you pick him up and carry him to the end of the lane. Turn around and head back down.

You're heading back down, and your poodle decides the same thing. "I can't take it anymore mom! Pick me up too!"

So you continue to head back down your road, carrying both of your dogs. You pass by friend's on your way, walking their border collies and other fluffy dogs, having a good time. And you look like a dork, carrying your yorkie and your poodle all the way home.

Ok, I concede, I concede! Dog booties MIGHT be a necessary thing. MIGHT. Hmmph!

Tammy in Utah
    Groomers Helper Affiliate

YOu can add 5 lb chihuahua's to that list !!!!

Comment

LOL, I believe it! I tell you I felt silly carrying BOTH of them down the street!

Tammy in Utah
      Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

ROFL

Thanks, I needed a giggle. Reminds me of my bichon who would attempt to pick all 4 feet up off the ground 5 seconds after they first hit the snow. Looked like one of those lizards on the hot sand.

Comment

Haha!

Wouldn't be even attempting to walk my small dogs in cold/snow.

Play fetch or tag indoors for the winter, that's my answer.

Comment

Back when I lived in Virginia, I would have to shovel the lawn when it snowed. Talk about feeling like a fool. My dog would not go potty unless she saw some blades of grass sticking through the snow.

Comment

I just

kick my dogs out the back door and they deal with it!

Comment

Tammy, I know what you mean!

I have a new addition to my family, a puppy-mill, rescued, twice rehomed Iggy with short little legs! And wouldn't you know, this weekend it decided to turn Arctic here in Wa. Well dang an Iggy will FREEZE in even cool weather, so bone chilling low teens is just not even a happening for outside activities ...!

She's actually a bit vocal about the cold, and poor baby she is trying to be a good girl. Litter box and wee-wee pads! Whoohoo- it worked! Now I have a happy home!

Last summer a client had given me some doggie duds that no longer fit her little girl, so my little Iggy- BB now has some things to keep her warm...this is new to me, I have to get her some house jammies and a body suit for outside!

Needless to say my grand daughters are in love with a live doggie that they can actually put clothes on! Oh, what fun, new adventures!
                Pam Julian CMG

Comment

My Daisy does the same thing! She has little pink boots with a matching sweater she doesn't seem to mind.

Comment

LOL My little toy poo doesn't do cold, wet, snow, etc, either. She will walk out on the deck where I've shoveled the snow and hang her little tush off the edge and do her business.

Comment

Originally posted by janelle View Post
                      YOu can add 5 lb chihuahua's to that list !!!!
                      Haha yep and a 4lb Chihuahua also.. although we normally only make it out the back door. If we walk i get maybe to the road before I get the limp and then the sit and not move , Que shaking until I pick her up.

Comment

Working...
                      X