Do Bathing Systems cause skin damage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do Bathing Systems cause skin damage?

I was talking to my Salon Manager and former vet tech. She says that systems like Hydrosurge, Hanvey etc cause damage to the dog's skin and that even the sprayers we use are bad. Can anyone enlighten me on this or direct me to where to get the facts? Trying hard to learn...

I have never heard of this before. I am not sure how this is even possible. Anyone else hear of this?? Did they say why it would cause skin damage?

Comment

Well, that would seem to be in direct opposition to the study that was done at the university (in Gerogia I believe) that did a study on dogs bathed with a recir. system as opposed to hand scrubbing...they discovered the dogs done with the recir. system actually showed improvement over the hand wash dogs...
      Curtis reported this (on the old board) but I can't seem to find the post in the archives...Curtis...can you tell us again about this?

Comment

I am afraid your source is wrong. These machines do not in any way cause skin damage. They actual can improve a dogs skin by improving circulation. It gets down to the skin and actually cleans it, when hand washing a dog it is hard to get the shampoo down to the skin, harder to rinse the shampoo because it is not diluted enough. So if anything hand washing would be worse for skin than a hydrosurge or like machine. People get strange ideas in their head sometimes, I had a client that told me not to bathe her husky because the breeder said bathing causes skin problems. I said on a husky that has a thick pelt that hasn't been brushed in a while, it is hard to get shampoo down into the skin and rinse well. We have to brush your dog out while it is soapy to get all of the undercoat out, and work the shampoo into the coat. So it is possible to rinse the dog. The bath will not hurt your dog, if you continue to leave your dog in this condition you will hurt your dog, this is Texas ma'am, it gets really hot for this breed. Use a hydrosurge on your own arm -it doesn't hurt it feels nice, it feels like a massage.

Comment

Originally posted by lbboop99 View Post
          I have never heard of this before. I am not sure how this is even possible. Anyone else hear of this?? Did they say why it would cause skin damage?
          Not really . . . she just said she couldn't recall at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by azoci View Post
            Well, that would seem to be in direct opposition to the study that was done at the university (in Gerogia I believe) that did a study on dogs bathed with a recir. system as opposed to hand scrubbing...they discovered the dogs done with the recir. system actually showed improvement over the hand wash dogs...
            Curtis reported this (on the old board) but I can't seem to find the post in the archives...Curtis...can you tell us again about this?
            I'd love to find that study. . .

Comment

Well

He sounds like a mizer. that just doesn't want to pay for a system.

Ask him to tell you about whatever study came up with that thery.

I for one would like to know.

Comment

Nonsense!

Last year I went to some of the Oster skin and coat seminars at Hershey. I knocked them a bit for some of there content but I did learn some things about skin.

Chris Pawloski did one of the seminars. I felt like I really got something out of that seminar. She talked about a dogs skin replacement cycle. While I think too much force from a sprayer is not good it is also not necessary. The force of the water is not what gets a dog clean, it is the volume of water that gets it clean.

Anyhoo, I dont believe it is harmful to use a normal type sprayer.

Jason

Comment

then I guess when we take showers it is damaging our skin?

Comment

Hogwash.

Tammy in Utah
                    Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

HUH??!!

HUH??!?!

Comment

Tammy, I don't wash Hogs!

If I did, I would use my Hydro-surge. I figured Azoci would set ya'll straight. I know for a fact it improved a Corgys' skin with doctors Benzol peroxide shampoo in less weeks than the vet anticipated. I know, it massages and cleans better. To not have a bathing system is doing it the hard way. People tell me the dog is cleaner and stays cleaner longer than the shops they had been to without it.Hard call...Ivac, Hydro-surge, or CV? If I could only have one and the others didn't exsist..the hydro-surge would be first, because of the suppurb cleaning.I hate false statements like that....so not true.

Comment

Take it with a grain of salt

You probably could do damage if you really tried hard enough to with anything.I would be very sceptical of the notion it causes damage if the source was some one who stands to lose sales on medicated shampoo.
                          If it was by intent you could certainly scratch a dogs skin to ribbons with a good set of long finger nails so should we all have them removed from our hands? I do not have long nails btw. Sprayers of any kind are only as powerful as the water preasure reaching the tip will permit and to reach a dangerous preasure you will be getting a bath along with the rest of the room.What reason would a person have to want to do something like that.
                          Hog washed?Is that hog vet checked dipped and tar'ed certified and sanctioned? well send it back cause he is way to toxic to eat.lol

Comment

Working...
                          X