Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home made items, do you use them?

Hi everyone,
    I'm setting up my new shop and dumped most of my money into the top of the line big stuff. My tube,table,and dryers are top notch, but now that leaves me to cut corners in a couple other places until next year when I can afford them. The two main items are the bathing system and the vac system. I have found intrustions online to make both those items for just around 100$ a piece. I was just wondering if anyone else uses a home made clippervac (shopvac) or a home made hydrosurge (sump pump). Thanks!

If you want the top notch stuff, wait. All of us have groomed without clipper vac and bathing systmes and 1 year won't kill you.

Comment

Oh, there's no way I'm waiting on getting that stuff, I'm just talking about getting by without the "real" stuff until I can get it next year. I would die with out a bathing system I do a bunch of Newfies and couldn't imagine handwashing them, lol.

Comment

Grinch,

I don’t use a clipper vac or bathing system. But, I do remember on the old board someone posting that they used a homemade clipper vac. I think they used a clipper vac attachment on their clippers and attached it to a shop vac. I don’t remember who is was, but if I remember correctly they were happy with it.

Comment

i believe hanvey will sell you the taxi vac on a payment schedule. i will never be with out my taxi vac and i do have a homemade bathing unit that i cannot be without.

Comment

Romani Clipper Vac will also let you make payments without interest.

Comment

Originally posted by Grinch View Post
              Oh, there's no way I'm waiting on getting that stuff, I'm just talking about getting by without the "real" stuff until I can get it next year. I would die with out a bathing system I do a bunch of Newfies and couldn't imagine handwashing them, lol.
              For the short term, here's an EASY and quite inexpensive fix..... Get some of those Hose-end sprayers (Ortho is one brand) at Home Depot. They're in the yard spray/insecticide area. I dilute shampoo in the bottle 50/50, then set the per gallon spray rate according to how concentrated the particular shampoo is (for Griminator, usually 1 oz/gallon--unless a FILTHY dog--then 2 oz/gallon). It works just like a bath system.... Spray directly on the pet, and make sure you're DIRECTLY spraying all over not just having suds everywhere.... It blasts out the undercoat better than the Hydrosurge wall system.

I keep three different sprayers on hand, switching between them as needed.... One full of Stazko's; one Speed Dry; and one Griminator.

Comment

Originally posted by k9stylist1968 View Post
                For the short term, here's an EASY and quite inexpensive fix..... Get some of those Hose-end sprayers (Ortho is one brand) at Home Depot. They're in the yard spray/insecticide area. I dilute shampoo in the bottle 50/50, then set the per gallon spray rate according to how concentrated the particular shampoo is (for Griminator, usually 1 oz/gallon--unless a FILTHY dog--then 2 oz/gallon). It works just like a bath system.... Spray directly on the pet, and make sure you're DIRECTLY spraying all over not just having suds everywhere.... It blasts out the undercoat better than the Hydrosurge wall system.

I keep three different sprayers on hand, switching between them as needed.... One full of Stazko's; one Speed Dry; and one Griminator.
                This is an AWESOME tip! I can't afford a bathing system at this time, but can afford a couple of these sprayers. I'm picking some up today and will try tonight on my own dogs. THANKS

Comment

The sump pump comment just brought back nightmares for me! I worked at a place using a sump pump system that they NEVER cleaned out. The thing was coated in sludge and algae. The dogs all came out smelling like fish tanks; it was awful. I still have nightmares, lol.

Comment

For the bathing systems, we started with a hydro surge 12 years ago and have made the rest ourselves. The home made versions can be as good if not better than the mfg type. You have options of the gpm (gallons per minute) which will determine the force of the water coming from your bathing system. We use the home made ones in both our shop and the mobile units.

Comment

Originally posted by Grinch View Post
                      Hi everyone,
                      I'm setting up my new shop and dumped most of my money into the top of the line big stuff. My tube,table,and dryers are top notch, but now that leaves me to cut corners in a couple other places until next year when I can afford them. The two main items are the bathing system and the vac system. I have found intrustions online to make both those items for just around 100$ a piece. I was just wondering if anyone else uses a home made clippervac (shopvac) or a home made hydrosurge (sump pump). Thanks!
                      yeah I have a friend who found out years ago how to do the homemade versions of almost everything.her name is Denise of Denises Barking Beauties

Comment

i just have to comment about the sump pump being dirty. if you use it the way i do you will never have that problem. my sump pump sits inside a 3 gallon plastic trash can that sits inside my tub. i even have enough room to bath st.bernards with this setup. for those of you that are using the ortho spray bottles i promise you if you get a sump pump(about $60.00) and put it in the can and make sure to get a garden hose spray nozzle(.89 cents) then you will be amazed at how clean the dogs turn out. there is no reusing water or any skin/fleas getting recirculated to the next pet. just think about it, if you are wetting your dog first why not get them wet with water that has shampoo already in it? it WILL save you time/money i promise! i just cannot bath with out mine. i use to use it as a recirculating type but since i switched to this way i can never go back.

Comment

I have a home made sump pump system too.... And I don't pre-wet the dogs when I use the Ortho bottles. I just spray the shampoo solution directly on the pet. Both methods get the dogs quite clean. The only reason I've been using both was I hadn't figured out yet how to make the sump pump stable enough that a big dog won't tip it over. I might try the trash can, though....

Comment

I use a 3 gallon yard pump sprayer with a five foot hose attached for dispensing shampoo. The tank sits on the floor beside the tub. Bought the sprayer at Home Depot (I believe a Gilmore) but got a special attachment at a garden shop so the trigger sprayer is not on the long wand attachment like most yard sprayers, but more like a pistol grip sprayer. Pump it up and there's lots of pressure. I also frequently don't pre-wet dogs, especially little ones.

Comment

I have a homemade one. I use the little giant pump it has a handle and it looks very similar to the bathing beauty. I saw the bathing beauty demonstration and I have to say my homemade version kicks out alot more pressure than the other.
                              My pump never gets really dirty it has a screen on the bottom and I put that flexible window screening over it with an elastic to keep hair out.
                              I just put hot water in my tub once a week with vinegar and pump it through for a bit. Haven't had any problems at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X