Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• teeth brushing

do alot of you groomers do teeth brushing on dogs

not anymore. read the old threads on this and the harm it can cause.

Comment

Nope, Brushing every two months won't help!

Comment

After reading the controversy I won't [I][B]admit[/B][/I] to brushing teeth.
        "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Comment

I tell owners that unless your brushing the teeth every day then it is a waste of time and money on your part to have a groomer do it every 6-8 weeks. Also since you cant see inside the mouth very well, you have no idea what could be going on in there. Something could happen and open you up for liability.
          Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of mental illness.- Richard Carlson

Comment

I used to but after reading a lot of the posts here, it made sense to me and I quit offering it. I started to feel like I was ripping people off.

Comment

Fill me in on the controversy I missed it, its been awhile since I have been on the board.

Comment

Look up "teeth brushing" through the search option. The one I know specifically was a thread started by dogsinstyle.

Comment

Thanks for the search. I did read the posts and have to disagree with many of you. I agreed with Mica the vet tech wholeheartedly.

Sorry guys. I am a dental hygienist and SSDW owner. All you need to do is use some common sense.

People with heart problems and artificial joints do need premedication before a professional cleaning, not brushing their teeth. You can't remove tartar by brushing the teeth but you can remove the plaque. The dog is constantly swallowing its own plaque everytime it eats.

Brush the teeth, unless there is a problem.... abscess, mobility, severe bad breathe. Refer to the vet, don't be freaked out that you will kill the dog unless you are removing tartar. Brush gently! dont scrub. If it was that dangerous to remove plaque people would be dying by the thousand everyday, trust me, I have been in thousands of mouths and treated thousands of patients and not one has died on me from polishing their teeth. But if I am picking up a scaler you bet my medically compromised patients are on antibiotics. Vets send dogs home with antibiotics because they did a professional cleaning, not a tooth brushing. There is a huge difference.

I would say start brushing again if you are not. At least the dog is getting used to it. Buy some toothpaste and toothbrushes to sell at your shop. There is nothing opportunistic to selling good health. Recommend to the parent to purchase these products and use them at home. Also if there is alot of tartar stress the vet. Then stress maintenance so they don't have to pay 5-700 for a dental cleaning. Its a great opportunity to educate! Ask your vet for some brochures to have at the shop on periodontal disease to give to your clients.

Caine and Able has a great toothbrush and minty toothpaste. Its quite pretty!

Stephen: There are states where teethbrushing except by vets is illegal. There are also MANY cases where dogs have died from teethbrushing and claims won in court with vet testimony backing the pet owner claims. Almost always the deaths occured from tooth decay loosened into the blood system. Yes, had the groomers checked better for teeth problems this could have had a better record, but then again, what of the groomers providing teeth brushing where it was not legal? Third, referrals are the lifeblood of grooming, we built one of the largest salons in history by accepting referrals daily from 44 vets, and we sent them teethbrushing and scaling work, and they sent us grooming. Everyone should know the laws of THEIR state as this is not a Federal issue, and study the cases if any in their state and define acceptable risk for your business. As a consultant to groomers I have had over 20 cases of pet deaths related to teethbrushing releasing foreign matter and infection into blood systems, and the groomers all lost. At seminars we have had even more get up and share their experiences as well with others making mistakes with teethbrushing where it was either illegal or resulted in illness or death...so just be wise and consider this carefully, study your state laws and consider your working relationships with vets.

Comment

Stephen....

how would I go about finding out what the laws of my state are?

Comment

I don't offer teeth brushing because it gags me.

Comment

Absolutely Not!

It opens up the gums full of tarter to infection! No waaay! This Petzlife is going to revolutionize the dog/cat teeth problem. Buy that and sell it. The only way before this product arrived was for owner to brush every week gently. Anything else does NOTHING> it rips the client off IMO. I can't wait to get this product and keep my baby girls teeth good for the rest of her life. Then fix all my clients' dogs' teeth and make extra $$$$$.
                        Last edited by mustluvdogs1; 10-12-07, 03:20 PM.

Comment

i've never heard that it was dangerous

i read some of the threads on here by doing a search but i'm not totally convinced. i will talk to my vet before i stop doing it. i've seen dogs that come into the salon regularly who's teeth look better after being brushed each time they come in. it also helps seems to help with bad breath by removing what's on the surface of the teeth. we've never been asked to do anything but lightly brush or even just apply the paste with our finger. it's a enzymatic paste so just getting it on the teeth makes it work, even without brushing.

Comment

I brush teeth. I look at the dogs teeth if they are in good shape, I explain that brushing every 3 or 4 weeks will NOT prevent tartar or eliminate the need for a cleaning once a year.
                            Their choice...
                            I do not brush teeth that are decaying or have copus amounts of tartar.
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            Annette, who's very graciously allowed to live with the dogs.

Comment

We will if asked but after reading what stephen had to say, it's gonna stop. My career and livlihood isn't worth brushing dogs teeth.

Stephen: And just last week another groomer called where she was brushing teeth and a tooth fell out and now the client and vet are after her as the cause of the infection that supposedly came as a result.
                              ~*~*~Shawn, C.M.G.~*~*~
                              Apparently common sense isn't all that common
                              *~*~emipoo on egroomer*~*~*

Comment

Working...
                              X