Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SpikeyTheYorkie
    replied
    It's true, Elizo, you don't need the SuperCoats module. It helps for the DermaTech portion but we could easily help you through that.

The tests are difficult, but with that knowlege comes confidence! I am CONFIDENT that I can't remember all of the material, lol, yet I look back and realize how far I have come. Like Betty Davis said about old age, "It ain't no place for sissies."

I think Pudel made a great point. THey know who is taking it seriously and who is not. They know me, they know my name, who I am, what I am like. I have put in the time and effort, and Pam and Chuck Lauritzen have both spent oodles of time with me on the phone. So far I've not had to do any waiting, maybe that is why? Not sure.

Anyway, information of any type is excellent, and I think you should go for it. I saved my tips to buy my packets and memberships and what not. I still save my tips and it pays for my shows. I don't spend my tips on lunches, snacks, ciggies, beer, etc...lol, it goes back into grooming.

Don't give up! It's better to aim for the stars and miss, than to aim for a pile of dog poo and make it!"

Tammy in Utah

Leave a comment:

• pudel
    replied
    elizo..you don't NEED the module. All of that info is in your ISCC book. And the new ISCC study guide has even more info on animal behavior. I am very excited about that. It's all there in the book. And the module will only help you with 2 tests. If you are having problems with the material, there are mentors. Don't be afraid of it. Just go for it. There isplenty of help out there, and on here.

Leave a comment:

• elizo
    replied
    I sure wish money weren't an issue Keyray....but $125 just to join, and then $400 for the SuperCoats module puts it out of my reach right now. I would love to be able to study that material for sure....maybe some day when I am rich and famous!

Leave a comment:

• pudel
    replied
    Just my 2 cents on behalf of ISCC.
    I have personally worked with at least 5 groomers who were all Gung Ho about getting certified. ISCC assembled the test packets. Sent them to Proctor. And the groomers took 1, 2 maybe 3 tests. Then lost sight of their goal. The tests sit there with the proctor. And the Proctor waits for the groomer to call and make an appointment to take the next test. The call never comes.
    To me, it's a big waste of time and money to do that. On the part of the groomer who thinks they can do it. Or thinks they want to do it. The tests are proctored to insure that there is no cheating or anyone else being able to touch your test before it goes into the mail. It's sealed. I can only imagine the files that ISCC has that are from groomers that just put it on their list of things that are not that important any more.
    ISCC grades these tests. Just like the others. Time spent. In the meantime, they try to figure out who is serious. And that is figured out pretty quickly.
    So, as Spikey said, call them. And keep up your good work.

Leave a comment:

• keyray
    replied
    Originally posted by elizo View Post
    But their fees are so much higher than the other organizations and I hear about their disorganization a lot. Like I said, they teach great stuff, but I decided not to go the certification route with them because of cost and because of all the bureaucratic confusion.
    It's too bad that you let that dissuade you. Their fees might be higher (I actually haven't compared), but their education is comparable to NONE. Like Windy said the Super Coats module is incredible! It IS the information that every groomer should have had to start out. I have not had a single problem with testing. The members are so generous with their time and help. I can think of a dozen people, off the top of my head, that have given me their number and told me to call them anytime I had a question.

I wouldn't give up, you deserve the best education out there.

Leave a comment:

• windywaycavaliers
    replied
    I have all of ISCC's current learning materials, too- I would recommend anyone getting them because they are SO great for our industry. Anyone who can afford to get the materials they have- especially Super Coats- and to study them, will not regret it.

Leave a comment:

• elizo
    replied
    Your organization IS amazing Windy! I am oh so impressed by what you have accomplished and I wish we could do something similar here in NC. And I hear what you are saying about how things can slow down getting done depending on whether others who take on tasks actually get them done on time for you , etc. My coworker joined ISCC, took a bunch of exams with them and they lost her results. She is still going back and and forth with them about it. They certainly have a lot of great information to teach and I am a big believer in furthering one's grooming education for sure. But their fees are so much higher than the other organizations and I hear about their disorganization a lot. Like I said, they teach great stuff, but I decided not to go the certification route with them because of cost and because of all the bureaucratic confusion.

Leave a comment:

• windywaycavaliers
    replied
    Originally posted by Max'sMom View Post
    Windyway, my hat is off to you and what you have done in WI....don't you want to make it a national organization?
    Hey, thanks! It is a lot of work- but, it is incredibly rewarding to come thru for others.
    WAPPS actually has almost 1/3 as many out of state members as it has in state members AND, we have quite a few member in other countries. So I guess that it technically is a national level Org.. You have no idea how proud I am to be offering things for pet stylists and groomers that compels them to join from 1000s of miles away. It certainly isn't just my good looks! *giggle*
    I won't actually get down on other Orgs. for being slow to get certain things or do certain things, but I have been a frustrated member of other Orgs. as well, and that is why I try to do things a little differently- still, not perfect by any means....
    I understand that there is a lot of work that goes on behind the scenes (think of how we say our clients "will never understand all of the work that goes on" in our grooming- its the same thing of members when running an Org.), and that people sometimes fall thru on their end with volunteering or finishing things, so one ever knows just who dropped the ball- sometimes not even the one that dropped it! But, the growth of our Assoc. over the last year has been both exhilarating, and at times, hard to get my arms around. So for now, with our roster growing so rapidly, we press on with high hopes that if anyone is ever let down with their membership, that they would come to us and not just give up so that we have a chance to address their problems, and therefor grow for members in that way also.
    If it were me, I would call like Tammy said- calling does get faster results usually.

Leave a comment:

• SpikeyTheYorkie
    replied
    Originally posted by Max'sMom View Post
    I was starting to take in personally. I had a vet all lined up as a proctor, which they suggested in their materials, but then when I called to arrange it they suggested a community college. So I got that lined up and now I just email, and email and email. I joined in Atlanta just for the Derma Tech and so far, except for the study guide, nice certificate and code of ethics have not received much for my dues. These orgnizations drive me crazy, but I also have high standards since I used to manage associations. Windyway, my hat is off to you and what you have done in WI....don't you want to make it a national organization?
    Hi,

Hey, don't email them, CALL them. I get a person on the phone 90% of the time. Don't leave a message, just call back.

I also found out that my First Aid test was late because the proctor's husband had died, I hadn't known that. I just found out yesterday from someone who read this thread. So nothing has been late yet, other than that, and for good reason.

I think if you make phone calls you'll have better luck. Get to know them over the phone, I have. Pam has been great to work with and we even got her here for a seminar, and it was VERY VERY good and VERY organized! It went very well!

Tammy in Utah

Leave a comment:

• Particentral
    replied
    Don't take it personally. I had the same problem and they came to me asking me to get certified and even talked about me being a certifier. I gave up, like I said.

Leave a comment:

• Max'sMom
    replied
    I was starting to take in personally. I had a vet all lined up as a proctor, which they suggested in their materials, but then when I called to arrange it they suggested a community college. So I got that lined up and now I just email, and email and email. I joined in Atlanta just for the Derma Tech and so far, except for the study guide, nice certificate and code of ethics have not received much for my dues. These orgnizations drive me crazy, but I also have high standards since I used to manage associations. Windyway, my hat is off to you and what you have done in WI....don't you want to make it a national organization?

Leave a comment:

• SpikeyTheYorkie
    replied
    I've heard this from others, not getting the tests, etc...It just hasn't been my experience. My stuff was sent pretty diligently to my proctor, all of my tests have been graded very quickly. But none of it was done at the time of the Pet Pro Classic.

Wait, I lied. My First Aid Test was done AT the classic, and the person who proctored me took FOREVER to get my score in. But that wasn't ISCC's fault, it was that proctor's fault.

Tammy in Utah

Leave a comment:

• pudel
    replied
    I used the Public Library as my Proctor. I went thru my written tests pretty fast. Took one about every 2 weeks. I got my results on a timely basis. But that could be because I was quite diligent about getting them done.

Leave a comment:

• Particentral
    replied
    I gave up trying to get a proctor approved. I got tired of waiting months for test results too. It is a wonderful organization with a lot of educational material. HOWEVER you have to put ina lot of time on the phone, emailing, reminding, bothering.... It is rewarding, but a lot of work to get anything done. SOme people seem to get it done quite easily. Others have to fight tooth and nail to get stuff done and then others, like me, give up altogether. I have all my practicals passed and gave up.

Leave a comment:

• windywaycavaliers
    replied
    I am still awaiting my Super Coats enrichment certificate also from Atlanta. Any ideas?? I know, I know--but I am tired of emailing...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X