Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which one?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Which one?

    So, I've been thinking a lot lately about associations and joining, but I'm so confused about which one is best or better. Like, member bene's, certifications, etc etc etc.

    It would be very helpful to hear opinions from others and also from association organizers. How do you decide?????? What do they have to offer? Which one is going to provide me with the most?

    Is so confusing.

  • #2
    Well.....

    NDGAA has some really, really good workshops with their certifiers all over the country. You get in depth demonstrations on several breeds in a day. National offers all kinds of discounts on insurance, has a newsletter with good tips and information etc....check it out!
    Peggy Harris
    Joan Anderson
    Julie Ostosky
    Chris Pawlosky
    Sarah Hawks
    Lisa Leady
    Carol Kokkler(sp)
    Sue Zecco
    Nancy Kallenbach Han
    Wendy Booth
    I probably missed a couple but you get the idea, most are past Groom Team members and most have show handling experience as well.

    Comment


    • #3
      I am member of NDGAA and the ISCC. I am getting my certification through the ISCC. I liked how challenging their program is. Eventually I may get the NDGAA certification also.

      Comment


      • #4
        Well, NDGAA has the most impressive and well rooted roster. The names of their members speaks volumes for their credibility and the knowledge pool members get to draw from.
        I am a member of all 3 national organizations as well as a few different state assocs., and I cannot say that I like one more than the other, but I will tell you publicly that I am the most comfortable talking with Jeff and Daryl and the other officer members and certifiers of NDGAA. I think it is just because while their history and reputation precedes them, they have always all been so down to earth, approachable and friendly with their guidance & help.
        Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
        www.ChrisSertzel.com

        Comment


        • #5
          Oh my gosh, Neanea, that was me a couple of years ago! I was so lost. "Where to start? How? Is it possible?!" Certification seemed so impossible, virtually unattainable. I'm not kidding. I just thought you had to be a Jodi Murphy to achieve anything that "high." LOL Now I understand it a little better.

          What you get out of it really depends on what you put into it. I mean, Sarah Hawks is with NDGAA, Jodi Murphy is with ISCC (and just recently NDGAA), Melissa Verplank achieved certification through IPG and ISCC. What does that tell ya?

          I am with ISCC, I chose them after doing research and just liked all of the educational opportunities. They have a multi-level education program and I can go at my own pace. :

          PDS (Petcare DermaTech Specialist (tm). You have to exhibit knowledge in:

          *Skin and Hair Anatomy
          *Topical conditioning of skin and coat
          *Ectoparasites and Insecticides
          *Basic Canine Terminology
          *Animal Behavior Parts I & II
          *Anatomy (Eyes/ears/anals/airways)
          *Zoonotic diseases & sanination
          *Breed ID & Coat/Sporting & Hounds
          *Breed ID & Coat/Working & Terrier
          *Breed ID & Coat/Toy, Non-sporting & Herding

          Then you do your practical skills test on two animals with two different skin and coat types. AND, even if both dogs or dog/cat have good skin, you have to tell them what you would do if they had certain issues such as allergies, cutaneous yeast infections, dry skin, oily skin, etc...along with bathing/drying/brushing/combing out the animals for your exam.

          MPS (Master Pet Stylist) I call this the "Masters Degree" in Pet Styling

          For this you have to exhibit knowledge in:

          *Clipper Techniques
          *Clipper Maintenance & repair
          *Dynamics of Scissoring
          *The Art of Pet styling
          *Hand-stripping techniques
          *Knowledge of all of the dog groups

          Then you take your practical tests on Non-sporting, sporting, and a hand stripped terrier. You have to demonstrate your carding and thinning shear techniques on your sporting breed, and yep, that terrier has to be hand stripped. I thought I'd never be able to do it, but in my door one day walked a Parson Russell Terrier, from a champion dam and sire!! She is a pet though. One day she may be my certification dog!!! She is hand stripped and easy to learn on!

          From there you can move on to your MPS, Meritus which makes it possible for you to be a certifier/consultant. This is like your PhD!

          Other members and MPS/MPS, Meritus are:

          Melissa Verplank
          Jodi Murphy
          Scott Wasserman
          Grace Woodford
          Paul Bryant
          Kathleen Putman

          There are many others, but these are from the top of my head. The Founder, Pam Lauritzen was the first CMG AND Certifier in the United States, and she's really got a lot of knowledge packed into a small program. I read her SuperCoats module all the time and I can't get over how much informaiton there is!!!

          Whatever you choose, Neanea, keep Jodi Murphy's words in mind:

          "Knowledge Leads To Confidence, Confidence Leads To Success."

          When I read that, it really struck a cord with me, and it's true. The more I've learned through ISCC, the more confidence is has given me. That knowledge gets passed on to my clients when I talk to them about their pets, and I can word it in a way that makes sense. Combine what I've learned through ISCC with what I've learned on here and other materials and it's helped me a LOT! Good luck with your decision.

          Tammy in Utah
          Groomers Helper Affiliate

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by SpikeyTheYorkie View Post
            Oh my gosh, Neanea, that was me a couple of years ago! I was so lost. "Where to start? How? Is it possible...ISCC with what I've learned on here and other materials and it's helped me a LOT! Good luck with your decision.

            Tammy in Utah
            Well said, Tammy. I might add that you also have to exhibit knowledge in Pet first aid for the Dermatech level.

            Also, Neanea, ISCC has a Petcare Facility Certification program available. This certification recognizes pet styling and mobile operations which operate in accordance with local, state, federal and ISCC rules, regulations and pet industry standards of care. The ISCC Standard of Care includes business practices, housekeeping, animal housing & handling, and workplace performance.

            There is also a mentoring program, where you can work one on one with someone who has already been through the program as you work towards your certification at any level.

            The newest program available through ISCC is the Authorized Skin & Coat Care Center. to become an Authorized Skin & Coat Care Center, you must:
            - be an ISCC Member in good standing
            - have on staff a trained and certified ISCC Skin & Coat Care Specialist, and
            - have completed the ISCC Petcare Facility training and certification program.

            As an ISCC Authorized Skin & Coat Care Center, you will be able to access ISCC's branded marketing materials including brochures and a consumer oriented website.

            Kathleen Putman, MPS, Meritus
            ISCC Director of Public Relations and Marketing

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by kputman View Post
              Well said, Tammy. I might add that you also have to exhibit knowledge in Pet first aid for the Dermatech level.

              Also, Neanea, ISCC has a Petcare Facility Certification program available. This certification recognizes pet styling and mobile operations which operate in accordance with local, state, federal and ISCC rules, regulations and pet industry standards of care. The ISCC Standard of Care includes business practices, housekeeping, animal housing & handling, and workplace performance.

              There is also a mentoring program, where you can work one on one with someone who has already been through the program as you work towards your certification at any level.

              The newest program available through ISCC is the Authorized Skin & Coat Care Center. to become an Authorized Skin & Coat Care Center, you must:
              - be an ISCC Member in good standing
              - have on staff a trained and certified ISCC Skin & Coat Care Specialist, and
              - have completed the ISCC Petcare Facility training and certification program.

              As an ISCC Authorized Skin & Coat Care Center, you will be able to access ISCC's branded marketing materials including brochures and a consumer oriented website.

              Kathleen Putman, MPS, Meritus
              ISCC Director of Public Relations and Marketing
              Kathleen, I have heard of the mentoring program, but don't know much about it. Can you tell me more about it?

              Tammy in Utah
              Groomers Helper Affiliate

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by SpikeyTheYorkie View Post
                Kathleen, I have heard of the mentoring program, but don't know much about it. Can you tell me more about it?
                Basically, you get paired up with someone that has already been through the program and you and your mentor communicate via email or phone. They help to guide you, encourage you and keep you on track throughout the process.

                Comment

                Working...
                X