Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Very important survey- so please give me your input!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very important survey- so please give me your input!!!

Alright, many of you know that I started WAPPS, Inc. a few years ago. It is a non-profit association for groomers with many membership benefits, and we have in state members as well as grown to have members from many other states such as FL, CO, MI, MN, IL, IA, GA, KY and a few others. So, that said- our roster is doing well for itself and our members are very proud to be with us and have good things to say. BUT, being on this forum I have a great opportunity to ask others their honest input and to share their feelings. So, while some in my position as an Officer to this Assoc. would never put themselves out there to public opinion, I think a lot of all of you on here, so here I go anyway!
    Here are my questions for you, now please take a minute to put some thought into your replies because this will help me with a lot of upcoming changes and ideas that I want to decide on:
    AND ONE MORE THING!!!
    **Absolutely, please, no nastiness or opinion throwing in one direction or the other at members who reply. And please no bashing of groups or assocs. that you are unhappy with- you don't even need to tell me which ones you belong to, for that matter unless you are proud to tell!
    I need all of your input and I do not want this thread to become a 2 partied face off. Please. Thank you!**
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1.-A. For those of you who are a member of a grooming industry specific association, society, or group (not an inclusive animal interest group like IACP or ASPCA, etc.)- why did you decide to become a member in the first place? BE HONEST! Even if you tell me it is because you wanted a certificate for your wall, I want to know the truth behind your decision.
    B. Do you pledge your time and share in volunteer efforts?
    C. What do you feel you get from your membership?
    D. What would you like to see offered for you that you currently can not get access to?
    2.-A. For those of you who were members of certain groups and didn't renew your memberships, what caused you to discontinue your pledge?
    3.-A. For those of you who do not want to be part of any organized group, could you share with me what helped you form your opinion or make your mind up that it is a poor fit for you? And what is your opinion on grooming groups? What- if any- social stereotypes have you heard of associated with groups at a local, state or national level?
    B. For those of you who are not members, would government talks of officially moving forward with administrative or legislative acts get you to join in efforts of being grandfathered in- in the case of mandated certification or licensing?
    Thank you again, very much for your thoughtful replies and input.
    Last edited by windywaycavaliers; 03-29-09, 09:59 PM.
    Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
    www.ChrisSertzel.com

Best I could give.

1.-A. For those of you who are a member of a grooming industry specific association, society, or group (not an inclusive animal interest group like IACP or ASPCA, etc.)- why did you decide to become a member in the first place? BE HONEST! Even if you tell me it is because you wanted a certificate for your wall, I want to know the truth behind your decision.
    I wanted to start my master certifying. I also wanted my clients to be reassured.
    B. Do you pledge your time and share in volunteer efforts? yes
    C. What do you feel you get from your membership? not much yet, my fault
    D. What would you like to see offered for you that you currently can not get access to?Closer organizational seminars. The closest I've seen so far is Chicago, not extreamly far but 7 hours away...I live in a major metropolis, I would like to see things sponsored here.
    2.-A. For those of you who were members of certain groups and didn't renew your memberships, what caused you to discontinue your pledge?
    3.-A. For those of you who do not want to be part of any organized group, could you share with me what helped you form your opinion or make your mind up that it is a poor fit for you? And what is your opinion on grooming groups? What- if any- social stereotypes have you heard of associated with groups at a local, state or national level?
    B. For those of you who are not members, would government talks of officially moving forward with administrative or legislative acts get you to join in efforts of being grandfathered in- in the case of mandated certification or licensing?

Comment

I'm a retired Association Manager....

so here is my opinion, but not in your survey format. Any organization has to have worthwhile member benefits. If you are going to fork out membership dues what do you get for them. This is my complaint with soooo many pet grooming organizations. Hotel discounts and car rental discounts are easy to give, but do the members really use them? I joined one organization when I first started seemed like a really great group. I paid a huge membership fee, got a really nice certificate of membership and nothing else. No newsletter, nothing. So needless to say I did not renew. Especially in this economy people want something for their money. Semianrs, small local contests, monthly get togethers, newsletters, insurance packages, marketing materials, useful website, these are all quality benefits. Hope my ranting helps.

Comment

Originally posted by LJRSnowcat View Post
        I wanted to start my master certifying. I also wanted my clients to be reassured.
        B. Do you pledge your time and share in volunteer efforts? yes
        C. What do you feel you get from your membership? not much yet, my fault
        D. What would you like to see offered for you that you currently can not get access to?Closer organizational seminars. The closest I've seen so far is Chicago, not extreamly far but 7 hours away...I live in a major metropolis, I would like to see things sponsored here.
        1. I have joined twice. I feel that belonging to a legitiment organization in a service industry shows integrity. In my opinion this organization was just collecting dues.

2. I volunteer my time but nothing is set in stone.

3. I received nothing from my membership..other than the pathetic package they give you on receipt of your cash and a discounted fee for some seminars. The later you can get for free from some of our product suppliers if you ask.

4. I would like to see a good effort atleast at communication. Maybe updates on seminars, get togethers, meet and greets..ect. I would like information (tips and tricks) on testing to be certified. I would like to see an upgrade in products sold. I don't have a VCR for tapes and most people don't so why do "they" keep selling them??? How about Ipod downloads..at the least a dvd.

5. I would also like to know their politics. Are they going to fight against licensing or fight for it. Seems most groups "won't go there" when asked but really do have a strong focus and opinions.

I will not join ANY organization based on fear of testing or one that makes promises to protect me from these same rules and regulations they helped organize and pass into law. That being said, if the grooming industry decides to willingly add themselves to the list of government regulated business, I will be rouge.

Comment

Originally posted by Max'sMom View Post
          Semianrs, small local contests, monthly get togethers, newsletters, insurance packages, marketing materials, useful website, these are all quality benefits. Hope my ranting helps.
          OK- Now, here you go! Thanks Max'sMom! We do offer every single benefit you have listed here PLUS members only access to a health insurance program and business management councelling, employment and career relocation referral networks, PLUS a master Pet Stylist certification program. The only think I am lax on is monthly meetings because no one ever wants to show up except the same couple of people, I am worried that most think it is a hen party, which it is not. But, I NEEDED to know if I am forgetting or leaving out something crucial that is being over looked. I really want to offer all I can for area members, like no other group that I have looked at on a state or regional level, so please keep your input coming!
          Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
          www.ChrisSertzel.com

Comment

Originally posted by A1Mobile View Post
            1. I have joined twice. I feel that belonging to a legitiment organization in a service industry shows integrity. In my opinion this organization was just collecting dues.

2. I volunteer my time but nothing is set in stone.

3. I received nothing from my membership..other than the pathetic package they give you on receipt of your cash and a discounted fee for some seminars. The later you can get for free from some of our product suppliers if you ask.

4. I would like to see a good effort atleast at communication. Maybe updates on seminars, get togethers, meet and greets..ect. I would like information (tips and tricks) on testing to be certified. I would like to see an upgrade in products sold. I don't have a VCR for tapes and most people don't so why do "they" keep selling them??? How about Ipod downloads..at the least a dvd.

5. I would also like to know their politics. Are they going to fight against licensing or fight for it. Seems most groups "won't go there" when asked but really do have a strong focus and opinions.

I will not join ANY organization based on fear of testing or one that makes promises to protect me from these same rules and regulations they helped organize and pass into law. That being said, if the grooming industry decides to willingly add themselves to the list of government regulated business, I will be rouge.
            I also offer two free Jodi Murphy DVDS, so I get you, too- not videotapes for the same reason. And we DO go there with politics concerning state and local grooming related newsworthy pop-ups and what is mumbled about in the aftershocks with any mention of stepping in to set in effect and governing on the industry. I don't see this happening in my lifetime, but is important to send out alerts to members, signature sheets for membership opinions on issues and surveys and have some discussion and common ground. Thank you also for even more helpful advice.
            www.ChrisSertzel.com

Comment

1.-A. I joined, because i like being a part of something, i like expanding my knowledge, I want to be a cmg, I LOVE certificates, i thoughtit would make my clients more at ease. And one of the groups I joined had a number they said you could call and ask questions, but no one was ever there or answered their phone, so that part didn't work but it was a nice idea.
              B. Nothing is ever done anywhere near me, and there are no newsletters so i wouldn't know if they ever needed help or volunteering
              C. I have thus far been disappointed. I don't feel like i get anything out of it. The study guides for two of them seemed a little outdated (being honest not mean). I don't feel like i am part of anything being a member of these groups
              D. Newsletters, even if it's just an online newsletter at their site, or emailed newsletter, with new tricks or tips or hints, or general advice
              2.-A. I didn't get the things i was told i would receive, all their testing sites were too far away, no one would ever call me back when i had a question or when i tried to have a testing set up in my area

hope i was helpful

Comment

Mostly for info and cool events, workshops seminars etc
                Humane society I try-Recruiting duty sucks-I am like a kidnapped single mom-so I don't get much time
                C. What do you feel you get from your membership? Alot (from you guys!!)
                D. What would you like to see offered for you that you currently can not get access to?
                Nothing really! In Marry Marry land I would love dogs I could rent to certify with, but that is my play land and only because of the remote location I live in.
                The only other one I remember belonging to was MNPGA (or MPGA?) they were very involved, but became more exclusive over the few years I was part of them. Also, they got much smaller and stopped holding total look (when I first was with them total look was almost the size of Charlotte two years ago)
                Thank you again, very much for your thoughtful replies and input.[/QUOTE]

Comment

I'm not a member of any association yet, though I want to be. I don't have enough knowledge about each one and which one would benefit me.

I'm with Snowcat in wishing there were a large (or small for that matter) seminar/tradeshow in the MN/St. paul area, I've got family there so could visit and go to seminar. I love the area.

I also agree with Max's mom on what benefits should be.

Comment

There is going to be something in Blaine (some nice boarding kennel w/grooming) is having something in the October timeframe. I have the email barried somewhere

Comment

1- I belong to ISCC and NCGIA. I joined both for the same reasons; I wanted access to the best information so that I could become the best possible groomer. Also to compensate for the shoddy grooming education I received from the cut rate school I went to (that was probably 75% of my reason for joining ISCC).

B- No. Because 1) I have no idea where I could volunteer and 2) I come home from work so exhausted I barely have time to take care of my own responsibilities.

C- Access to some of the best grooming minds out there. Instant support system. Pride that I belong to the most demanding, educationally, groups. I think that being able to say I belong to these groups signifies that I put on high value on my career. I also think that both of the groups I belong to are at the forefront in educating their members. The ability to certify as Master groomer with both organizations.

D- Monthly newsletters so I can stay informed of the changes in grooming and the organizations.

2 A- I purchased a Lifetime membership with ISCC. And I just renewed, last week, my NCGIA.

The rest don't apply.
                      "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Comment

1A) To eventually become certified through the group and also to advertise as people seem to like if you're a part of something bigger and for the betterment of the group.

1B) I have not had them call on my services as of yet, but have offered to 3 nearby shelters for free grooms, and groom foster dogs at a big discount....oohhh, you mean with the group I'm associated with? No, didn't know if there were any volunteer efforts taking place.

1C) Discounts to some things/seminars, certification (once I complete it), again, recognition by the public that I'm a part of something bigger than just me trying to make a buck.

1D) Nothing comes to mind...though I'm sure there's something.

2) Have yet to renew, but I think I will still because of wanting to certify and will renew to keep the certification current. However, if I didn't feel the group was benefiting me at all besides the certification aspect, I think I'd drop it unless the dues were not hefty.

3A) I"m not much of a group person....well I am, but never join on. Now that we're in the works of starting our own state group though I'm seeing the benefits of it. I never did it before cause I was greedy and wanted to save the $$, sorry, being honest, lol. I also thought a lot of people joined these groups and there was never any checking up to see if the shops/businesses were adhering to the code of ethics, etc. I've seen a lot of BBB signs on places that look pretty shoddy, or whatever, not a great example, but you get the idea. Its hard when you get too big to keep tabs on everyone and everything. Even the small ones have places slip through their sites.

3B) Yes, gov't talks have and would lead me to action if I thought me being a part of a natnl or state association helped my cause.

Hope these answers help!
                        Erin
                        No Fur, No Paws, No Service.

Comment

Originally posted by scullysmom View Post
                          There is going to be something in Blaine (some nice boarding kennel w/grooming) is having something in the October timeframe. I have the email barried somewhere
                          Hey, will you keep me posted on this?
                          www.ChrisSertzel.com

Comment

Okay

IPG mostly to be certified, mostly to show that I know grooming. So. CA Groomers Assoc. because it is my area and the people seemed nice.

Not yet. IPG doesn't really need non-certifiers and I'm not going to be one of those so I'd say I am not in a position to help. I'm new to SCGA so haven't helped yet.

C. What do you feel you get from your membership?

I got certification and pride from IPG. I have a beautiful solid plaque from SCGA that a years sticker comes for it each year I renew. I get some newsletters, they have forums I think 3 times a year that look great but I've been too darn busy to get to one yet.

Just a bit more timeliness with IPG but I understand the current difficulties. Both are great.

N/A

N/A

I have to admit when I had believed (not true) that SCGA was pro licensing I ignored them. Not interested. Then I've changed and can see some good points to licensing so I inquired about SCGA. I find out they are just working to benefit the members and finding out what their wishes are. I have to admit too that part of my desire for certification was in case they do demand certification or such for licensing if they demand licensing.
                            Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

Originally posted by windywaycavaliers View Post
                              Hey, will you keep me posted on this?
                              Oh gosh yes, hey PM me your emal. I could post the flyer (crumpled up and scanned) by my mom, but they don't link right from thier website (odd)

Comment

Working...
                              X