Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brit
    replied
    I know old thread, but S_Toast if you are around, did you go forward?

Leave a comment:

• S_Toast
    replied
    I've been grooming for 11 years. I went to a great school where I got a fantastic education in grooming, nutrition, breeds, skin and coat, etc. I am finally working for myself and now at the "what's next?" stage in my career. Master Groomer certification seems like the next step to me. Not because i want to pay someone a bunch to say I'm good at what i do. Happy clients tell me that. But for me, i would like to brush up on my skills, remember why i got into this business in the first place, and prove to myself that i can do it. 5 years ago i had no interest. But for me, this is a way to keep myself in check and make sure I'm not taking shortcuts and that I'm turning out my best work every day. It's about the personal challenge, not a piece of paper.

Leave a comment:

• keyray
    replied
    Originally posted by Nikya View Post
    dollar bills! Oooh & egos! I can hear the backlash now!
    We are most likely to see faults in others that we have in ourselves. I will state it plain, maybe for YOU it would be about $ and your ego, but that doesn't mean that is why others seek it.

My seeking certification has absolutely NOTHING to do with money or my ego.
    I am certifying for the exact same reason that I just took an online course through Nash and for the same reason I get Jodi Murphy's DVDs, I want to know as much as I can about grooming. I want to be the best [B]I[/B] can be.

Leave a comment:

• Nikya
    replied
    It's all about the

dollar bills! Oooh & egos! I can hear the backlash now!

Leave a comment:

• lexapurple
    replied
    I am late to conversation but despite the fact that I am certified and won some awards, my grooms with exception of my competition dogs are simple maintenance grooms (by owners choice)that range from 7 blade to #1snap on all over, scissored face and round feet.
    I am glad I certified with NDGAA and I am working on my certification with ISCC now, but I am doing for myself, to keep me from getting bored, getting a certificat is just a goal post to me and gives me a feed back if I am in rigth track in my studying and my breed understanding.
    My clients are happy with their seven strips and could care less if I was a chop shop and poured kerosine on their dogs instead of expensive la pooch, IOD and CC products tailored to their dogs skin and coat type.

Originally posted by Particentral View Post
    I learned a long time ago to NEVER ask for more poodles, or say "I never get to groom" unless you REALLY REALLY want to do them! LOL They WILL Show up. Like the day I said I never got to do a lot of scissored poodles, then ended up with 5 or 6 the next day that were ALL scissored including a standard who gets bellbottoms.....I was sore for days!
    My fortune is wicked.
    I was wishing for more excitement and practice in my every day grooming and what did I get?
    A cocker in full coat who is being groomed every two weeks, but... the owner is cheap, and wants leg coat to drag on the ground not beveled and skirt cut off.
    I also got a bedlington a size of a kerry, who looked like a poodle from fourties, with pantaloons about 5 inches long, poodle top knot, MUSTAGE AND BEARD, mohawk on bridge of teh nose and matted. The dog was a doll to groom and I was happy to do some scissoring. Owners were happy with the transformation but wanted to know why do I charge 20 more than the previous groomer did and could I possibly drop the price that low?

Leave a comment:

• Particentral
    replied
    I learned a long time ago to NEVER ask for more poodles, or say "I never get to groom" unless you REALLY REALLY want to do them! LOL They WILL Show up. Like the day I said I never got to do a lot of scissored poodles, then ended up with 5 or 6 the next day that were ALL scissored including a standard who gets bellbottoms.....I was sore for days!

Leave a comment:

• RudyRoo
    replied
    [QUOTE=Particentral;352260][QUOTE=RudyRoo;352003]

NAh, you aren;t the only one doing this. this time if year (there was ICE on my windsheild this morning which rather freaked me out after being 93 last Tuesday) I get a comb on the body, c on the legs with the vac, or zero on the body, b on the legs OVER and OVER and OVER. I called Scott one day last year after three days of the same haircuts over and over and said I was grooming my cocker just for something DIFFERENT! I felt like a robot.

THe way I make it through without getting depressed is seeing the money at the end of the day and I KNOW I made the clients happy.

There was ice on the windsheilds in SC too!! You are right, the money thing does help... I guess it's all revelant to where a person is in their grooming career,, I feel like I'll never get better shaving down Shih's all day,, and pink wishes she could do more than just baths & nails. I guess the grass is always greener over yonder,,,lol

Leave a comment:

• Particentral
    replied
    [QUOTE=RudyRoo;352003]
    Originally posted by Particentral View Post
    Getting my certificates made me a better groomer. I still feel that. AS for pushing certified grooms on clients, HECK I sometimes do more 7 all overs in a week than anything else! .[/QUOTE

I am so glad I'm not the only one doing # 7's all over. I went back to work part time grooming at the shop I worked for last year. Fri, I had 7 dogs, only one was a real haircut, the rest were # 7's with short faces,, gets me so depressed.
    NAh, you aren;t the only one doing this. this time if year (there was ICE on my windsheild this morning which rather freaked me out after being 93 last Tuesday) I get a comb on the body, c on the legs with the vac, or zero on the body, b on the legs OVER and OVER and OVER. I called Scott one day last year after three days of the same haircuts over and over and said I was grooming my cocker just for something DIFFERENT! I felt like a robot.

THe way I make it through without getting depressed is seeing the money at the end of the day and I KNOW I made the clients happy.

BTW I "specialize" in small fluffies. Shih-tzus, mixes there of, maltese (local breeder found out I dont think a maltese has to be skint or all the way to the floor and I get all their puppies), mixes thereof, yorkies, mixes thereof.....you get the idea. MOST of my client base is under 8 pounds. I learned how to do those clips by certifying. It improved my scissoring so much and I learned about angulation. Competing helped with that as well. And my attention to detail is higher than it was before I did those two things.

Leave a comment:

• Maltese_mama
    replied
    Originally posted by SpikeyTheYorkie View Post
    I hear ya!!! Statistics my fanny!!! LOL But the math nearly did me in! We did have a take-home test that took me 18 hours to finish! (Attention span issues, lol).

Tammy in Utah
    Yep, my stats homework is due Tuesday at noon. I was going to get it out of the way today, but my attention span is on the fritz. I've found my attention span has diminished w/ age. The homework is very repetive when it come to the math and there are just so many forumulas! I made my head spin today, so I'll just do it tomorrow, lol!

Leave a comment:

• SpikeyTheYorkie
    replied
    Originally posted by Maltese_mama View Post
    Very OT, but I'm halfway through a college stats class and I really like it. I've always payed close attention to BSL and now that I've learned so much about stats, I can see what a huge joke the stats used to support BSL really are. I find myself paying close attention to any stats mentioned on the news and disecting it. What was the sample size, how did they pic the sample, are the result really representative, did the study author have any bias, etc? I think it's a very useful class. English on the other hand....
    I hear ya!!! Statistics my fanny!!! LOL But the math nearly did me in! We did have a take-home test that took me 18 hours to finish! (Attention span issues, lol).

Tammy in Utah

Leave a comment:

• kputman
    replied
    Originally posted by windywaycavaliers View Post
    . . . and especially if they want to ensure themselves longevity in their careers, even for well after when their bodies cannot physically do grooming day after day anymore, that taking these steps and getting out of our corner of the grooming world will open up an entire new horizon for us. . . .
    Windyway is right — even though I would have a hard time grooming day in and day out since my accident, I do have numerous options available to me that will allow me to stay within this great industry because I followed the certification/competition route.

Leave a comment:

• kputman
    replied
    Originally posted by keyray View Post
    My happiest day is when a shampoo rep came and she didn't have to "dumb down" the conversation (she originally started to) because she was talking to a groomer, not a vet. I was able to discuss the issues we see and what I needed in a shampoo. I was beeming after the conversation was finished.
    Keyray, wait til you get a chance to explain to a client why your topical conditioning program will work better than what has been done in the past. Sure, you have to dumb it down for some people, but being able to explain it to them gives you so much credibility!

And I agree with Epilady — certification took me from being a bored (and at times, a very burned-out) groomer to a stylist that is a leader within the industry and very passionate about what I do. That passion makes such a huge difference in my wanting to get out of bed every day. It also gave me the resources to find out about things I might not know off the top of my head (just because you're certified DOES NOT mean you know everything!) and the confidence to educate my clientele about what would be best for their dog (doesn't mean they always did what I suggested, but many of them did follow my suggestions).
    Last edited by kputman; 10-19-09, 07:33 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Maltese_mama
    replied
    Originally posted by SpikeyTheYorkie View Post
    ...I once took a "hellish" class in college called Statistics, lol, and many students came out of it with a "C" or lower. I got a B+ and I felt so good because I'd worked SO hard. I have ZERO use for that class now but I have no regrets.
    Very OT, but I'm halfway through a college stats class and I really like it. I've always payed close attention to BSL and now that I've learned so much about stats, I can see what a huge joke the stats used to support BSL really are. I find myself paying close attention to any stats mentioned on the news and disecting it. What was the sample size, how did they pic the sample, are the result really representative, did the study author have any bias, etc? I think it's a very useful class. English on the other hand....

Leave a comment:

• keyray
    replied
    Sure it takes money and time, but so does a college degree. If you could go take a couple tests in one week and get a Bachelors degree it really wouldn't mean anything.

I originally planned to get certified within a year from first becoming a groomer (I've been grooming 2 1/2 years now). I researched the different organizations and picked the one that was the hardest and had the most educational material. I'm sure I could have still done it if I had stayed 100% focused and 100% motivated But life happens. AND I picked the organization that had the highest education requirement. Sure I took biology and chemistry in college but I only paid attention long enough to get a good grade. Now I was actually learning stuff that I needed to know and use on a daily basis. This isn't stuff that you can just cram for a night and be able to "get" it.

My happiest day is when a shampoo rep came and she didn't have to "dumb down" the conversation (she originally started to) because she was talking to a groomer, not a vet. I was able to discuss the issues we see and what I needed in a shampoo. I was beeming after the conversation was finished.

Leave a comment:

• TheBigLebowski
    replied
    My next goal after finishing my apprenticeship is to work on certification. I want to do it for myself and I feel that it WILL make me a better groomer. Anything that I can do to make my grooms look better I'm game.

I've wanted a career in grooming for 8 years now and getting laid off in July was my sign to get it started. I'm loving it and frankly am looking forward to learning more. Certification seems like the best way to do that for me.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X