Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canopener Sally
    replied
    I too find this frustrating. I'm in Tennessee and there's nowhere in reasonable distance to do the testing. I'd like to be certified but it's not realistic. It's just not worth having to board my dogs and rescue can't pay to board my fosters. Not to mention blowing the cash. I'm so low volume, and more focused on my photography, I really don't know if it's worth the investment.

I read some groomer's website (no clue who) recommending pet owners look only for certified groomers. Conveniently, she was certified. I don't know if it's a state requirement there, but if not, lame. Ugh.

Leave a comment:

• Particentral
    replied
    Also, ISCC will protor your tests (written anyway) so you can do them at your leisure in your home town. You would only have to do the practicals elsewhere or bring in a certifier to test you. YES its expensive, but to me, the certificates on the wall set me apart and made me a better groomer. Worth the time and money. I got my NDGAA tests done in one weekend, btw.

Leave a comment:

• luvpups
    replied
    I am not done certifing yet, but want to get done in the next 6 months, if I really wanted to I could have been done months ago, but I am in no rush. I tested out with 3 of the 4 dogs at one show. I competed with them and used them for certification. It can be difficult, but if you really want to do it you can. I know people who have done all their testing in a day or 2. I think azoci on here did that with some others from her area. I am sure it is not easy, but it can be done. If you really want to do it, you have to make the time, and the committment and save up the money. While it is not mandatory to be certified, I am doing it because I am learning more than I would if I did not do it. Some of the grooming techniques I can use on my everyday dogs, even if I am not grooming the whole dog to the standard. That is another reason I like to compete. I dont know where you are from, but in our area, many of us have come together to do seminars, travel to shows etc...Try to get some people from your area together and set up some test dates. You are here on Petgroomer.com and that is definately a step in the right direction.

Leave a comment:

• chipoo
    replied
    thanks for your replies

I have been grooming for 5 years now and thought it would be educational and helpful to get certified. I have talked with other groomers who have thought about getting certified but like me, are discouraged because the process takes so long and can be very expensive. I just hope that eventually testing to become a certified groomer will become more convenient. Thank you to all who replied.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Good advice Tammy

Like the insight you have into how you operate.Thanks

Leave a comment:

• SpikeyTheYorkie
    replied
    Debbie is right, you don't "need" to be certified to be a good groomer.

Certification is a goal I have in order to improve my skills (which I feel are already pretty good), and for the sake of accomplishment. I like working hard, and I like that feeling of reward. I once took a "hellish" class in college called Statistics, lol, and many students came out of it with a "C" or lower. I got a B+ and I felt so good because I'd worked SO hard. I have ZERO use for that class now but I have no regrets.

And, while I feel that I am a good groomer now, I know there is always room for improvement. I learn so much by working toward my certification.

Now, why are there not representatives in every state? Through NDGAA your chances are greater at finding someone, but the problem is that, like Debbiedogs, not many people feel the 'need' to certify and therefore there are not a lot of certified groomers out there.

Here is what I do to pay for it all: I save my tips! I do not blow them on lunches, or smokes, or my kids (if I had kids), or anything else with a few exceptions when I need something or really want something. After a year of saving them, with a few bucks spent here and there in between, I have a LOT of money to spend. If I saved every dime I made from tips, I'd have about $2000 at the end of the year. I used to think I didn't make much in tips, until I started saving them. AND, as I started saving them, I realized how much I loved getting them, which helped my customer service skills improve, although I always tried to be kind, and the tips increased.

So, my suggestion to you is to save your tips!

Tammy in Utah

Leave a comment:

• Debbiedogs
    replied
    Part of the reason is...

It is not necessary to be a certified groomer in order to groom professionally. You can go to school, or apprentice with someone, and build your skills and expertise. Certification is not at all required.

So since it's optional, and since groomers are not as plentiful as hairdressers, I guess it's a bit expensive to offer certification, as well as to get it.

I am not certified, and don't really want to be. I dislike jumping through hoops for other people when I know that I do a good job. Now if I wanted to learn show grooming on specific breeds, that would be a challenge I could enjoy. I already specialize in Bichons. Other groomers like the challenge of getting certified and want to say that they are a "master groomer". Some call themselves master groomers even when they don't have the certificate. Some master groomers aren't all that good as daily groomers. Some states apparently have some kind of "certification", but of course it is not remotely like the certification for "master groomer".

So you see, it's not readily available because it's not really needed.

Leave a comment:

• chipoo
    started a topic why so difficult?

why so difficult?

I am very interested in becoming a certified pet groomer and have been researching the major certifying organizations in this industry. I find it very discouraging that in order to become a certified pet groomer you need to plan on it taking many years and a lot of money. The amount of opportunities offered thoughout the year for testing is very limited. If you do find a testing site that you can go to, many times you have to spend a lot of money traveling to the site and paying for a hotel. If these certifying organizations really want to make certifications available to the majority of groomers out there then they need to provide much more opportunities for testing. They need to have representatives from their organizations in each major state that can regularly offer tests to interested groomers. I know that I will not be able to test for certification until more opportunities for testing become available.
Working...
X