Assoc. in Pa????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assoc. in Pa????

I know there is a good amount of groomers from Pa on here, are any of you interested in starting an Pa Associaton? I think it would be a great idea with the push for groomers to be lic. in Pa.

Aimee

Hello, I would be interested in looking into it. I know several people have mentioned it before but no one has done anything.
    Cathy

Comment

I agree it's a good idea because I think if we don't organize ourselves...the government will step in and do it for us. But where to start??

Linda

Comment

Hi. I'm from Pa. Where are you guys from? I think it would be nice for there to be something in Pa. Some type of Network. But I think it will easier said than done.

Comment

I'm in the west end of Chester County, about an hour or so from Philly and just east of Lancaster.

Linda

Comment

I am in Southern York county Red Lion area. I will cross post something from the another member who started a Assoc. in Wa state. If this looks like something you are all intereted in, I will start to look into things. Maybe start spreding the word around. The more people we get together to start the less out of pocket we will have to put out. Also start to think how you would like to be involved. We would need board members and all that good jazz. Also we will have to make up bylaws and all.

I know a few of us have been wanting to have a groomers meeting for us Pa groomers, so this would give us a GOOD reason to get together. Here is the post from another thread, read over please.

"You need to have your "core" group.

When we set up our association , Washington Alliance of Groomers, we had a small core group, we all chipped in equal dollar amounts to get things going. Our Corporation papers were around $400, we did that on-line, and had them in hand in less then a month. We had our By-Laws and Constitution ready,a Code of Ethics, our officers for our corporation, our mission statement and web site all going within just weeks of deciding to do this, and within about a month we were up and running as a Corporation with the State of Washington. We have a bank account for WAG, with a copy of our corp. papers, and a copy of the minutes from our first meeting.

Your association is just what you make of it, and where you plan to take it. One thing we added to our by-laws, was a clause in the method of membership renewal...that of 4 hours of continued education...which is easy to do if you attend any of the seminars, workshops that we hold, or do a major Trade show...

Just north of us in BC, there is another group, that focuses on certification...members are required to become CMG's or be working on it to maintain membership... so it's where your members want to take their organization that is important.

I can send you a copy of our by-laws if you are interested. There are several web sites to do a corporation on-line. I guess the biggest problem is the money issue. Like I said before our core group put in enough funds to get things done. Then we have to charge enough for Charter memberships to set a core dollar amount in the treasury. Our Charter memberships will be availible only for the next year, at which time we'll go to a regular membership at a reduced price if the membership so decides.

Our state is diverse and split with a mountain range, so we have decided to offer members the option of being a Regional Director, to be come a RD, they have to plan and hold some sort of an event locally... there are several planned. This option keeps things local for groomers that may not ever get to the Seattle area, but can get to Spokane, Bellingham, or Tri-cities, Vancouver,WA...all of which are many hours drive(some day-long) from each other.

WAG,Inc is still pretty new, but we've had a great response. We also maintain an internet yahoogroup for washingtongroomers, but you do not have to be a WAG,Inc member to be in the group...this is helping to maintain communication state-wide.

Granted, not all groomers in WA are WAG members, or are even on the Internet group, by far we are in the minority, but we are here, watching, educating, and building a presence for our groomers, by our groomers. As are other state associations formed by groomers. Arizona has an active group that I was a part of for 10 years...

www.wagroomers.com"

Comment

Pa Association

I am in Western PA, just north of Pittsburgh. If there are no current local associations, I would love to know if there are any other interested groomers in this area to start a professional group.

Perhaps creating an email list, once a month 'support' group meeting at a local coffee shop, start a newsletter, launch an interest drive ( invite friends/coworkers) any or all of these could aid in getting a local group to actually manifest.

I opened my big mouth, anyone else like to join me for coffee

Pavla

Comment

PA

I'm in northeastern PA and would be interested. I can pitch in with web and design work, as well as writing and such. A bit short on the cash contribution part, but I'm good for "sweat equity"!!

Comment

Permission to plan

I know associations are not permitted to recruit sooo,,,

I guess we should ask our hosts if planning/organizing a group is ok here. Or if our Mod / Stephan would prefer we discuss the particulars of web design/newsletters/local meeting dates/agendas to a email list such as a yahoo group?

Pavla

Stephen: You can list your association in the Yellow Pages here. You can post an invitation to join here. Your events can be listed here. But day to day operations, web design, newsletters should be in your own group.

Comment

Originally posted by Pavla View Post
                    I am in Western PA, just north of Pittsburgh. If there are no current local associations, I would love to know if there are any other interested groomers in this area to start a professional group.

Perhaps creating an email list, once a month 'support' group meeting at a local coffee shop, start a newsletter, launch an interest drive ( invite friends/coworkers) any or all of these could aid in getting a local group to actually manifest.

I opened my big mouth, anyone else like to join me for coffee

Pavla
                    I'll join you for coffee and maybe a donut too! I'm north of Pgh also.
                    Cathy

Comment

I am just outside of Reading, Pa. I would love to see us get organized. it is time.
                      If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

I'm in Western Chester County as well, about 30 min East of Lancaster, an hour west of Philadelphia. Sounds like a good idea!

Comment

western PA also... will meet with all to join an org. for groomers.
                          Trish

Comment

Easton ...

I'm in easton, pa. Just at the NJ border.
                            Hey, since we're all spread out how about we set something up to meet at Hershey?

Comment

PA Groomers Association Forming

Ok, seems we have interest. So far nine different people have chimed in and alot more are watching, yup we see you

PA is also a deceptively large state. If we are ever going to create a viable active group, we must meet, create involvement, friendships and bonds. That being said, first we need to get meetings started, for me grass roots local seems to work best. What do you say we divide up geographically West, Central and East.

How about some initial volunteers to Host / Coordinate for their area?
                              I volunteer for West as I am fairly centrally located. Anyone want to volunteer for Central and East?

Also, Stephen would prefer our planning particulars to be handled off this board. That being said I have formed an email list. If you are interested, send an email to [email protected]

Once we have Coordinators/Hosts and have set the meeting frequency dates and times, we can post them to this area, or the events section.

Thank you all for being willing to chance something new. No matter if you work alone from home or for a larger/ corporate shop, do mobile or house call, as a group we can all learn from each other as well as support each other. This is the first step to creating a professional future that we all will have the opportunity to express ourselves.

Paula

Comment

Working...
                              X