Grooming on credit.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grooming on credit.

Well, I thought I'd post this story since it just sort of happened; very unplanned today. I went to a semi-regular client of mine with two spaniels. She's fairly young but has been battling cancer. Her hubby is a farmer, and times are always tough economically for farmers. When I got to the door, she looked surprised and said "OH! I forgot to cancel! We've had a.... financial setback... and I can't pay you today." Well, I figured I already booked the time so I might as well groom the dogs while I was there (they really needed it and I hated to let them go longer). I suggested that I groom them and she send the payment when she is able. So, I extended a line of "grooming credit" to them. I think she appreciated it, but in these economic times, well, you do what you can to help? Or maybe I was just in the Christmas spirit!
    A Light exists in Spring, Not present on the Year, At any other period -- When March is scarcely here...~~ Emily Dickensen~~

i'm proud of you, wouldn't normally recomend it, but i think of it as storing pennys in heavin, or wherever you call it, i like to think most of us have done this in a way. but you did a kind thing and that is what is neede sometimes,
    ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Comment

How cool
      I have a client that's been homebound for the last 8 months or so and since then I go to her house and pick up the dogs for their grooming appointments. I don't charge any extra since she lives in the immediate area and I feel it's the least I can do for 5 years of grooming dedication.
      ~*~*~Shawn, C.M.G.~*~*~
      Apparently common sense isn't all that common
      *~*~emipoo on egroomer*~*~*

Comment

Yeah it was a risk. But's what's life without taking some risks? I think they are good for it though, I wouldn't do it for a freeloader. That's the advantage of knowing your clients personally as a small business.
        A Light exists in Spring, Not present on the Year, At any other period -- When March is scarcely here...~~ Emily Dickensen~~

Comment

Because of the economy, I have offered some customers to split the payment between two months. Several have taken advantage of this and been reliable about sending the second half of the payment. Kudos to you!

Comment

Years ago I had I had a client call me and she was near tears. i could hear it in her voice. She asked me if I could tell her where she could buy a pair of clippers because she wanted to groom her two Shih Tzus. I asked her if I could ask why she wanted to start grooming them. She told me her husband had just lost his job and she found out she was pregnant with their fourth child and she just didn't know how they were going to make it. She knew they wouldn't look nice but they really needed to be shaved down. The really sad thing is, I only charged her $16 per dog (12 years ago and it wasn't our normal price, it was a discount set by another groomer). I knew clippers would cost her more than coming in and having me groom them. I had been doing her two Shih Tzus and her families other 9 (spread out over different family members) for a few years. They always referred people to me and were all great clients.
            So long story short, I told her to bring the dogs in, no charge, I'd be happy to do them. I knew (and still know) what it's like to struggle financially, and if I could give her just a little bit if help I was happy to.
            What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

Originally posted by MydogMissy View Post
              Well, I thought I'd post this story since it just sort of happened; very unplanned today. I went to a semi-regular client of mine with two spaniels. She's fairly young but has been battling cancer. Her hubby is a farmer, and times are always tough economically for farmers. When I got to the door, she looked surprised and said "OH! I forgot to cancel! We've had a.... financial setback... and I can't pay you today." Well, I figured I already booked the time so I might as well groom the dogs while I was there (they really needed it and I hated to let them go longer). I suggested that I groom them and she send the payment when she is able. So, I extended a line of "grooming credit" to them. I think she appreciated it, but in these economic times, well, you do what you can to help? Or maybe I was just in the Christmas spirit!
              The danger with doing that is when the dogs need groomed again they will feel that they will now have to come up with two grooming fees and can't. Then they feel guilty so they call or take the dogs to someone else.

I'd just tell them 'Merry Christmas' and write it off as a no charge.

Comment

Well, I had a customer with financial issues as well, and I offered to groom her dog as a christmas present...But I would not do "credit" for just anyone...It would have to be a long time trustworthy customer...like what it seems like in your case

Comment

Originally posted by Jedd View Post
                  I'd just tell them 'Merry Christmas' and write it off as a no charge.
                  Ditto! DO it quite often for eally good people on fixed or no income. Two this week in fact.
                  <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                  X