Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tennessee Walking Horses

These are my horses the Spotted Mare is mine her name is Mira and the
    solid black gelding is my husbands his name is Coal.

I plan on breeding my mare this spring I have already found a homozygous
    stallion, because I LOVE SPOTS, or roans, anything out of the ordinary.
    Attached Files

Very cool, I noticed that a lot of people on here have, or are interested in horses. I guess we animal lovers can't just pick one kind, lol.
    Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

They're both gorgeous. I used to have a beautiful hanovarion/thorobred cross and rode dressage with her. Horses are amazing creatures and taught me so much when I was around them.
      don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

I have known far more groomers that have horses than not. Maybe we all have control issues.

Comment

I too own a Tenn Walker..he's 8 years old in April. I've owned him since he was 2. Wish I could put a pic of him on here, but they're all on my other puter and its not all set up now! It has been my experience that anything with spots is a bit nutty lol from dogs to horses! the walkers though has such nice dispositions it might not affect them?? Apps, forget about it! I will never ride anything but a Walker anymore...smooth as silk. I would love to own a Fresian one day though! lol Happy Trails

Comment

Horse, of course!

Beautiful horses! I too have horses. Great friends, all of them.

Have you thought about seeking your new spotted horse from a rescue or feedlot situation? I do equine rescue and there are ALWAYS horses of every color (or colors!) available. Since you can't ride your foal for several years anyway, you could get a younger rescue (spotted, of course!) and even ride quicker than you would with breeding your mare. There are often gaited horses as well.

Yes, I have had a couple of foals, so I am not anti-breeding, but just wanted to let you know that there are lots of horses out there already, looking for great homes. I don't know if I can post links to other sites here, but I visit a bb frequently that lists horse rescues all over the USA, if you are interested. I will probably never find this thread again (I'm still new) so you can email me if you want it. [email protected]

Lovely horses. Looks like you and your hubby get to have lots of fun together on those beauties!

Comment

[hairdevil- Quote-anything with spots is a bit nutty lol from dogs to horses! the walkers though has such nice dispositions it might not affect them??]

Every Animal I have ever owned has been the odd colored, so for me the dispositions don't phase me, its all I've ever known, but yes I do believe the unusal colors have more hang-ups, in general.

Now my horse has a lot of go, but NOT crazy, she was 7yr, green and still with her momma when I bought her, just the basics under saddle had been taught to her.

So I was shocked when a professional TWH trainer came out to evaulate her and told me this horse is NOT trained to riding ques whatsoever !
              But that most Walkers have such a puppy dog personality and are so forgiving alot of novice people buy and ride untrained walkers because they don't realize they are not giving to the basic riding ques most trained horses know. So yes I highly recommend Walking Horses, Bro-in-law has always had appys, and yes, almost no one can ride them but him !

Comment

Originally posted by hairdevil View Post
                t has been my experience that anything with spots is a bit nutty lol from dogs to horses! the walkers though has such nice dispositions it might not affect them?? Apps, forget about it!
                I haven't had that experience at all. My first mare was a paint, WelshX, and had the sweetest, most level headed disposition in the world. She made pretty babies, one was an accidental breeding to an Appy stud owned by the neighbors. She went visiting in the middle of the night, lol. That filly was also sweet and level headed.

I also got a spotted buckskin colt out of her that was dead level from the minute she dropped him. The first time I rode him, I just saddled him up and got on. And we went for a ride. No bucking, no fussing. You'd have never known he'd never been ridden before.

When I was taking lessons, I often rode a big Appy that was just wonderful. They used him a lot for beginners and little kids because he was so well mannered and steady.

However, my sister had a couple of Appys and paints that were nuts. Then again, all of her horses were nuts. I don't blame the horses. I know she drove them crazy, lol.

Comment

Well my paint mare isnt nuts, very calm first time was saddled never bucked, but bless her heart she was zapped on the tongue as a yearling by an electric fence ,she was eating a peppermint, got really slobbery and stuck out her tongue to lick my hand and KAPOW! we both got it so now any string that is on the ground or between a fence post or even in a tree she wont go near! In fact my sisters gelding managed to rip about 200 ft of electric fencing (posts and all) out of the ground and my mare was still in the pasture standing by the gate waiting for me to get home, my sisters horse had drug most of the fencing and post into the barn, knocked over eveything and gotten stuck in the feed room but he wasnt bothered or upset because by the time I had followed the trail of distruction he had opened the metal garbage cans and was feeding himself dinner!!
                  My minis were in their stalls looking at him like oh boy are you in trouble now!!
                  LOL they do keep you on your toes!
                  Tammy

Comment

horse rescue ...

hi ljbrooks -

what type of horse rescue do you do? our friend (I use to board my horse at her farm), has a PMU filly, (well she's probably about 3 yrs now). such a cute little horse ... there's 1,000's of them - anyone familiar with premarin for menopause?? it's made with pregnant mare urine (pmu). so they obviously need lots of pregnant mares to make it - the babies are basically useless and sold to slaughter houses :-( there's a lot of rescue info on the web about these horses.

Originally posted by ljbrooks View Post
                    Beautiful horses! I too have horses. Great friends, all of them.

Have you thought about seeking your new spotted horse from a rescue or feedlot situation? I do equine rescue and there are ALWAYS horses of every color (or colors!) available. Since you can't ride your foal for several years anyway, you could get a younger rescue (spotted, of course!) and even ride quicker than you would with breeding your mare. There are often gaited horses as well.

Yes, I have had a couple of foals, so I am not anti-breeding, but just wanted to let you know that there are lots of horses out there already, looking for great homes. I don't know if I can post links to other sites here, but I visit a bb frequently that lists horse rescues all over the USA, if you are interested. I will probably never find this thread again (I'm still new) so you can email me if you want it. [email protected]

Lovely horses. Looks like you and your hubby get to have lots of fun together on those beauties!

Comment

What beautiful babies. I miss my Standardbred. His name was Cappuccino. Cappy for short. He was the best friend in the world. We were so in tune with each other that we would go out on the trails and all I had to do was think about which way I wanted to go and he went. When I was sad I would go in his stall and he would just lay his head on my shoulder. He went to the Standardbred retirement foundation. Was adopted by a wonderful family with 4 kids that either ride or brush him every day. I still keep in touch with them. he is doing well. Maybe when my daughter is older we will get another.
                      If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

Sensations Spirit

I've seen so many accidents with electric fences and horses..its really not the best choice. A friend of mine had a stallion Walker that got his leg all wrapped up in electric fence almost cut it in half..hes crippled from it to this day... before that he looked like a fantasy horse...mane way down below his neck and tail dragin the ground behind him...and coal black...man hes pretty, crippled and all..

Comment

Beautiful!! I too love horses. I don't have my very own but I have "half" of one, lol. I lease my friends horse but can do anything I want with her. She's a fiesty 6.y.o buckskin quarter horse. I do some fun shows with her but lately shes been naughty. It is the first winter we have her at a barn with an indoor, so it's her first winter being ridden. She's not too happy about it. When I get my own I will get a gelding, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by hairdevil View Post
                            I've seen so many accidents with electric fences and horses..its really not the best choice. A friend of mine had a stallion Walker that got his leg all wrapped up in electric fence almost cut it in half..hes crippled from it to this day... before that he looked like a fantasy horse...mane way down below his neck and tail dragin the ground behind him...and coal black...man hes pretty, crippled and all..
                            not at all trying to argue, but from my experiences ....

If horses are trained to an electric fence it is generally a safe choice of fencing. It should be trained as a psychological barrier, just as a dog would be trained with an underground electric fence (not trained in the same way obviously, but both have a psychological element of training). Electric fencing is often necessary for some horses and even a safer alternative for those who jump out or break through other types of fencing.

Electric fencing is now available in a braided rope as well. My horses have always been in electric fence - and they really respect it. I have seen more injuries with regular fencing, and have actually never seen any electrical fence injuries.

I have had two horses (gift horses), however, that came with some very bad scars from barbed wire fencing which is OBVIOUSLY a really dumb choice ....

Comment

spotted horses

I gave my young mare that I bred for to one of my daughters, but sent her out for 30 days of trainning first, as she was about 6 and only halter broke. A year later my daughter is using her on the Rodeo drill team this year. She is turnning out to be a nice mare. She is a half Arab. and Paint cross. She was born a sorrel and white pinto, but turned grey, as her mom was a grey arab. Being half arab and spotted I was pretty worried, but she turned out OK.

I did have a half Appy and half running Quarter that I bred for once. He was solid chestnut, but he was totally nuts from the day he was born. Even training him to lead he laid down on the ground and played dead as a baby. At three years of age, although he was gorgeous, we took him to the sale and sold him. That was very hard, as it was the second time we took him there and backed out the first time.

On the way home going up the freeway on the on ramp the trailer started rocking and the old time cowboy that was trailering was afraid to stop, as he knew the horse was nuts. My husband looked back at the trailer and asked our friend if his trailer has a side window. He said no. My husband said it does now. It was a walk-thru trailer and when we got home the horse was laying down in the front part of the trailer with its front legs going down one side of the trailer and the hind going down the other side. He was kind of in shock, but was fine. I realized at that point we should have sold him, and almost was wisking he didn't wake up, but he did. Next time old Joe trailered him to the sale, a year later, he brought his stock trailer. Luckily my husband was a very good welder and put the trailer all back together.

Comment

Working...
                              X