Black Russian Terrier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Russian Terrier

Omg, I did my first one today! His name is Gabriel and he's 8 months old, AND it was his first haircut ever! He was so good, except he didn't understand how to get on the table lol. Here's his before picture after his bath and blowout

And the after.

His face is a bit off, as I was afraid to shave his neck area too far back. And notes from the groom table said to shave a square with a 10 right behind the fall, but I was too nervous about messing it up to do it, so I just thinned the area.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

He is gorgeous! They are so rare, I only saw one, but never groomed one.
    You did a good job on him, hope he will become your regular customer!

Comment

what a handsome man! it's always exciting when you get to work with large breeds that are not common. A place I used to work at groomed one, and it's the only one ive ever seen. she was kind of crazy and bouncy, but when it came time for her groom, she was a statue.

Comment

His head/face is all wrong.........you are suppose to shave the side of his face to the tip of his outer eye line then downward and forward 3/4 - 1" beyond the opening of his mouth. Then you are suppose to scissor trim a straight line over each eye, so that the eyes are visible......so the dog can see. He is suppose to have a fall over his muzzle. His muzzle/beard is suppose to be nicely trimmed like a schnauzer, showing the shaved cheeks. The top of the head is suppose to be shaved down to the top of his brows (like a SCWT). Also his throat is suppose to be, shaved down in a nice rounded/oval pattern, about the same length as his muzzle. His overall body length is usually a #7 or #5, depending on the client's request.

Happy letting him see again

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dolly View Post
          His head/face is all wrong.........you are suppose to shave the side of his face to the tip of his outer eye line then downward and forward 3/4 - 1" beyond the opening of his mouth. Then you are suppose to scissor trim a straight line over each eye, so that the eyes are visible......so the dog can see. He is suppose to have a fall over his muzzle. His muzzle/beard is suppose to be nicely trimmed like a schnauzer, showing the shaved cheeks. The top of the head is suppose to be shaved down to the top of his brows (like a SCWT). Also his throat is suppose to be, shaved down in a nice rounded/oval pattern, about the same length as his muzzle. His overall body length is usually a #7 or #5, depending on the client's request.

Happy letting him see again

Sorry.... I followed the directions from notes from the groom table. Which states the the body should have 1-2" of hair left. I did an E comb on his since it was his first haircut. I tried to follow as best I could, without another reference.
          And honestly. I have not found one picture a BRT with a schnauzer style face. (His mom specifically requested that I not touch the beard or fall, so that is a moot point either way.)

If you have a better picture of a show style head on a BRT that YOU have groomed, I'd love to see it.... Or even a better guide than the on in Notes....

Comment

The owner wants to keep him in a show style, since he's a stud prospect for his kennel, like this.

Comment

He looks lovely for an eight month old pup. You did a really nice interpretation of breed profile.

Comment

Originally posted by cockerlvr View Post
                He looks lovely for an eight month old pup. You did a really nice interpretation of breed profile.
                Thanks! I was so nervous about messing it up [emoji4] I had the hardest time trying to figure out the shaved part on the neck, Notes doesn't really show or describe it well..... And I couldn't find a picture online with the fall/beard held out of the way and the ear flipped up, so I could see how it's supposed to go.

Comment

Yes, the grooming book that is specific on this breed is

The Stone Guide to Dog Grooming for All Breeds and Notes from the Grooming Table
                  Attached Files

Comment

The Stone Guide to Dog Grooming for All Breeds and Notes from the Grooming Table
                    Dolly, the pictures you posted are of Kerry Blue terrier, not Black Russian that Catlin groomed.

Comment

Originally posted by Catlin View Post
                      Thanks! I was so nervous about messing it up [emoji4] I had the hardest time trying to figure out the shaved part on the neck, Notes doesn't really show or describe it well..... And I couldn't find a picture online with the fall/beard held out of the way and the ear flipped up, so I could see how it's supposed to go.

I recently just saw something somewhere on necks. It said pretty much to take the neck down to where the tail sets on when the dog is stacked. I've been eyeing that, and it's pretty right on. no matter the breed.

Comment

Originally posted by cockerlvr View Post
                        I recently just saw something somewhere on necks. It said pretty much to take the neck down to where the tail sets on when the dog is stacked. I've been eyeing that, and it's pretty right on. no matter the breed.
                        Yay, go me! [emoji3] (I know they say to do it in reverse with a 10 or 15, but I did a 10 with since he'd never had it done before)

Comment

Originally posted by ABDG View Post
                          Dolly, the pictures you posted are of Kerry Blue terrier, not Black Russian that Catlin groomed.
                          I can understand the confusion since he's so young and doesn't have much of a beard yet!

Comment

Originally posted by ABDG View Post
                            Well, for God's sakes..........How wrong can I get !! So Sorry Catlin..... When I looked at the picture, I automatically thought Kerry Blue.......both of my grooming books do not list Black Russian Terrier.......does it go by another breed, or is this a fairly new one ??

Happy being corrected

Comment

Oh. I understand the confusion now lol It's not a Kerry Blue he's a Black Russian. However, I do appreciate the help that was offered [emoji4] I've only groomed one Kerry Blue ever, but if I get another one those are great references!

Comment

Working...
                              X