Meet Ike, a sweeeet Airedale!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meet Ike, a sweeeet Airedale!

This is Ike, and he's the only airedale I do. I already know what I need to fix about his face--it is poofy on the upper sides of the muzzle area in front of his eyes. SIGH...

I don't care for his coloring, but I think he is handsome regardless. They wanted him trimmed up pretty short, so he got a 1" comb with the clipper vac, if I recall.

Tammy in Utah
    PS: I'll attach a 3rd picture later, after these are posted.
    Attached Files
    Groomers Helper Affiliate

Originally posted by SpikeyTheYorkie View Post
    This is Ike, and he's the only airedale I do. I already know what I need to fix about his face--it is poofy on the upper sides of the muzzle area in front of his eyes. SIGH...

I don't care for his coloring, but I think he is handsome regardless. They wanted him trimmed up pretty short, so he got a 1" comb with the clipper vac, if I recall.

Tammy in Utah
    PS: I'll attach a 3rd picture later, after these are posted.
    Oops, I failed to mention that he got a #7 (no clipper vac) on the body, 1" comb clipper vac on furnishings and face.

Comment

He looks good Tammy! His little bum looks naked, lol, because of the light colored hair!

I know that you said you noticed the face was too poofy. I thought I'd throw a little tip out there to help with the poofiness. I will use a three forward (toward the nose) to skim out a lot of that puffiness, and then a five or seven under the eye to blend it all in.
      Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

Tammy, I know you didn't ask for suggestions, but if I may....

You said you know you need to fix the face. So I'll just tell you how I do it, and you can pick and choose. And you know I don't use a clipper vac, so take that into consideration.

I use a #7 against the growth on the skull, from occiput forward. It should be pretty short. I skim it right down over the brows, not leaving a whole lot of brow. Let it drop off before you hit the "fall". I also take the 7 down the cheeks, and right up to the corner of the mouth, from the outside corner of the eye to the corner of the mouth. Use light pressure, you want to leave a bit to blend. Take the 7 down the underside of the jaw, just leaving a goatee.

Now, here's the tricky part. I use a 3 to skim from the brows to the end of the nose, making the profile level. Then I skim under the eye down toward the table (does that make sense?), and angle off toward the end of the muzzle.

What you're trying to create is a brick shape with a goatee. The top profile needs to be level from brow to the tip of the nose. Blend down from there to take out anything that's sticking out wider than the widest part of the cheeks. The hardest part to blend is the transition from the cheek to the beard. You know the drill, no obvious lines. I can do it with a 7 blade, but I learned to do Aireheads from a breeder, and that's the way he had me do them. It took some practice, lol. If you don't think you can manage it, use thinners. You can take out some of the bulk with a Coat King or Mat Breaker, too. You don't want his beard to look like a donut on the end of his face.

Trim the brows really close, and at a deep angle, corner of the nose to outside corner of the eye. Both corners on same side of head, not opposite sides. The brows should not be standing up, over the eye. They should be short and relatively flat, and blend into the hair between the eye and down the face. Flat profile.

You saw the pictures. That's how I did it.

Comment

Nice job Tammy. I have one "crazy" Airedale that I do so I can't really give you any more advice, I'm still learning too. Helly and Rapuzzled have given you plenty on how to improve. I'm taking those too and will learn from that.
          "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
          Diane

Comment

A Laube 1/2 comb or equivalent with the clipper vac gives you a perfect length airdale head, just go downwards all around then trim to a brick shape and use curved scissors in reverse underneath to shape the goatee.

Linda
            petgroomaustralia

Comment

Thanks all. I thought I'd responded to this thread again, but I was mistaken. Thank you for the advice.

I hadn't done this dog for MONTHS and MONTHS, and could have used this advice BEFORE I groomed him. But I have to say I groomed him in record time. It helped a little that I pre-clipped a little off the back, because that seems to take forever to dry. He is such a handsome boy though.

Tammy in Utah

Comment

Originally posted by SpikeyTheYorkie View Post
                Thanks all. I thought I'd responded to this thread again, but I was mistaken. Thank you for the advice.

I hadn't done this dog for MONTHS and MONTHS, and could have used this advice BEFORE I groomed him. But I have to say I groomed him in record time. It helped a little that I pre-clipped a little off the back, because that seems to take forever to dry. He is such a handsome boy though.

Tammy in Utah
                You can speed up the drying time a lot by using a Coat King before you bathe to pull out some of the undercoat. Scrubbing with a Zoom Groom will also remove a lot of that loose undercoat that holds water like a sponge.

Comment

If I may...

I would like to add to Hellys great info on the head. To define the eyebrows from the hair in the stop you can finger pluck a small half circle from the inside corner of the eye to the top skull, very faint definition. And please take the forechest hair off!

Comment

Originally posted by epilady View Post
                    And please take the forechest hair off!
                    Yes ma'am! Actually I'm horrified at myself, I KNEW better, lol. I was trying to hurry, they had to pick him up by a certain time. Of course, they came LATE anyway!

Tammy in Utah

Comment

Working...
                    X