Hattie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hattie

I've only been grooming a few months, and I've really never had a groomer appraise my work. I see some unwanted "fuzz" on Hattie's belly and elbow, but over all, what do you think of her grooming? I did a #5 on her body, a #30 on her face/feet, and I hand-scissored the legs. I do Hattie about every seven weeks.

I would appreciate your comments!

Jacob H.
    Attached Files
    Jacob

I think she looks very nice. I don't do my top knots as you have done, I like yours very much.

About the only thing that I can see that needs a little more work is the tail, it looks like you forget to finish it. I almost sent home a dog today with an unfinished tail, it was a poodle too.
    "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
    Diane

Comment

Thank you Pixie! Her tail just kept flopping every time I scisssored it. Is there some kind of product or hairspay I could use to make it more "rigid"? The hair there is just so thin and fine...
      Jacob

Comment

Looks pretty darn nice for starting!!

Comment

I am not so "hot" at poodles, and yours looks nicer than mine do, but I noticed you may have shaved too far down the poodle's tail---I believe it is 1/3 of the tail BONE, though I could be wrong. The tail does look a little floppy, maybe you just need to take off a little more hair? But you can't make bad hair good, no matter how great of a groomer you are, lol.

One thing I noticed, but like I said I'm not a great poodle groomer is that the rump looks rather large in proportion compared to the bottom portion of the back leg...and that is JUST ME STARING AT IT, so maybe I looked too hard, if you know what I mean. To balance it, though, I think the leg might need a little more hair on the front rear leg.

Beautiful job, I could not do better I can say that!

Tammy in Utah
          PS: Pixie, I learned to do my topknots like that from my former boss in Bountiful, but if you look at the poodle photos in Notes From the Grooming table, that is what they look like.
          Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Hattie

Thank you, Tammy. So, it might help balance-out her behind if I left some more hair from the knee-down on the back leg? If that's what you mean, I totally agree. Hattie is a rather long poodle, and I tried to make her back look shorter by extending her crest farther back. Could I even bring it back farther? What are some other "tricks" to making a poodle appear taller? This is the kind of stuff that is very helpful to me.

I need to study-up on my tails:-)
            Jacob

Comment

I hesitate to comment on other peoples grooming because I'm not completely 'there' yet myself. I tend to agree with Tammy though, the bottom of the back legs is too small in comparison to the front legs. I seem to tend to take too much off the back of rear legs as well. Also too much tail shank shaved for sure. Just shave about an inch. You don't want it to look like a lollipop. Another thing (it's a pretty small pic so hard to tell actually) but I would trim up a bit higher around the feet. It appears the fur is almost resting on the feet.

Comment

I agree with the previous comments and I think you did a fabulous job for so little experience. Just think what you'll be doing after a little more practice!! The only thing I could add (and keep in mind, it's just one small picture, so I could be wrong lol) is the coat could be straighter. I use a powerful HV dryer and get the curly coats 'stick' straight. It makes the actual trimming more pleasant and improves the finished look.

Good for you for soliciting feedback -- you'll improve very quickly.

Comment

cute poodle

nice job!

i notice on the neck (maybe b/c of the bandana ?) that you need a more gradual transition between the body & neck lengths.

this is kind of hard to explain ... but i put my 2 hands around the dogs neck .... s touching in the front ... and then make a "V" with my pointer fingers on the back of the neck. all hair outside of this V should be the body lenghth and then scissor a transition between the two areas. does this make ANY sense??? it looks nice and makes the neck look long.

Comment

Poodle tails

Originally posted by Full_Groom View Post
                    Thank you Pixie! Her tail just kept flopping every time I scisssored it. Is there some kind of product or hairspay I could use to make it more "rigid"? The hair there is just so thin and fine...
                    The dog looks really good. With the tail, as others have said you shaved a little to much. With the fluffy end what you want to do is work in sections, back comb an area around the tail starting from the base working twords the tip. In those small sections sprits some mega hold hair spray and then do another section and sprits ect.ect.ect. Do this untill you get to the end and then shape the tail. After you shape it how you want it the comb over and over untill it is all even. You probably wont need any more hair spray after the first application but it all depends on the hair. You don't want to over do the spray too much other wise it will get heavy. Hope this helps, its kinda hard to explain over the computer.

Comment

Thanks everyone!

c.c., I do use a h/v drier on all my poodles/bichons. I hardly every use my stand drier, and I don't use cage driers. I agree, I could have got it straighter, though.

DogChic I don't mean to be snobby, but there actually was a good transistion of lenghths between the tk/crest and the length on the body. I'm not saying it was perfect, but it was something I worked really hard on matching the dog in Notes. If you look closely, there is a bug bulge on either side, where Hattie's bandanna is pressing the hair down. I should have taken it off for the picture. Thanks for your description on going-about making a blended neck.

Sassylittlepoodle, thank you very much for your tail instructions! That is the area I'm sure I will improve the most!:-)

I'll be back with more pics! Thanks again everyone!
                      Jacob

Comment

great job,she looks cute,and it looks in her pic looking at her tail,that she doesnt have very nice fur to work with,i could be wrong,

Comment

Very nice for a newbie! I am impressed! If you want to make a longer bodied dog shorter backed and taller, leave more hair on the front of the back legs and more hair on the backs of the front legs-taking out the bulk of the front of the front legs and cutting a nice angle at the bending point of the back part of the back leg, then you gradually (flair) the back of the back leg out to give her more angulation. On a full scissor dog, you would scissor off most of the chest and a lot of the butt, but making a nice 'shelf' if you will. Also you would take the underside really short, do the crest back farther too. The crest should be in line with the back of the front leg. I am going to put a couple of pictures of the same dog out-I am really putting myself on the line with the first picture, it is very incorrect and embarrassing, but you can see the difference. The second picture still isn't quite correct, but much better. The rear needs more angulation cut in...
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X