Ever had one of these??!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever had one of these??!!

I just had to share. This is my guy Norman. He had a bath yesterday, and I just happened to have my camera in the shop! He is a Neapolitan Mastiff, for anyone who doesn't know...
    Attached Files

Wow

Look at the size of those flews. Was his hair prickly like? Kind of like sharpei?

Comment

I have never done one, but I have seen them at shows on occasion and they are not very cute IMO too much extra skin I bet they get really stinky.

Comment

His hair is more sleek than a Sharpei, although it is coarse...

Comment

Is it a young one? It doesn't look like it grew into its face or feet yet. I saw a very young one once. Not quite as developed in the face folds.

Comment

Well, we had one euthanized at my animal hospital not too long ago. He was like a beached whale in the exam room when the owners left. Too bad I didn't have my hydraulic table then, because I don't know how they got that animal to the freezer, or if it would fit in the freezer before the cremator came.

It was very sad, and it was one of the biggest dogs I'd ever seen.

Tammy in Utah
            Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

A little about the breed...

Revwind, they keep growing more and more loose skin! They never grow into it, it just keeps growing. He turned 2 in January. They keep filling out until they are at least 3 years old. Yes, they ARE really stinky. He has a really wonderful personality, and is very much a people dog. I love the way he looks and acts, but all the other stuff that comes with (IE drool, stench, oily coat, etc) I could do without. My hubby loves this breed, so I have to have one around so he can't argue the doggies that I want! But don't get me wrong, I do love him! He makes up for all his short comings with his personality! Poodlefluff, their looks are very different when you are used to tight faced dogs (I have 3 standards, and prefer them over any dog)! Took me a while to get used to the breed. We had a girl for 9 years, and she was the best dog. Wonderful with people, but INCREDIBLY protective of the house and yard and ME! She would have given her life for me. My hubby wanted her and she turned out to be my dog! They are a very interesting breed. They are instinctual property guarders, but Norman didn't pick up that instinct! He will act tough, but that is all it is. I am fairly certain that Ruby would have ripped someone to shreds if she felt she needed to. We had to be very careful who came into the house when we weren't there. I know it sounds bad, but it is the nature of the breed. It was so weird though because she really did LOVE people. We would take her to car shows, and she would just suck up the attention. It is these characteristics that make them scary in the wrong hands. Norman is such a big baby, everyone loves him and wants one! I tell them that they are not like a Golden Retriever or any other kind of dog out there. They are Guard dogs, and will protect their people and property if they feel that they are threatened. You kind of have to view them as a loaded weapon in a sense. As big of a baby as Norman is, I wouldn't leave him alone with a bunch of kids, especially if my son was amongst them (he may feel the need to protect him if the kids are horsing around). They really are cool dogs, but most definitely not for everyone (or even most people!).

Comment

Uggg. All I can think about is all the slober....

Comment

I bathed one a while back, he had yucky skin and a bad eye, but was a sweetie.

Comment

Originally posted by petstylist View Post
                    Uggg. All I can think about is all the slober....
                    Same here. He would have to wear a bib all the time. lol

I must say he is one breed that does not interest me in owning. There are a few more out there too that I'm glad someone else owns.

He has one of those faces that only a mother could love.
                    "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
                    Diane

Comment

Thanks for sharing, I love seeing unusual breeds. Is this the same breed that's in the "Harry Potter" movie?

Comment

Yes Fang is played by a Neo. I like them would never own one but I like them. I think it's the wrinkles. I've heard that they are one of the sweetest dogs.
                        Never gonna know if you never even try

Comment

I for one think that he is adorable! What a cool looking dog! I just love to see unusual looking dogs. We get so many of the run of the mill dogs at work! I have never seen one in person, but would love to!
                          Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

Yes, I like that he is unusual...makes for a LONG walk when we take him out and about! We can't walk very far!!!

Comment

I have only ever seen one, when I worked at the vet. He was most definately intersting looking. In fact I heard from a clinet that they put him down a few weeks ago. I'm not sure of the life span, but this guy must of been getting up there.

What I like best about your guy is his name-Norman, what a GREAT name for him.

Scoop

Comment

Working...
                              X