How is my Angles and Scissoring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How is my Angles and Scissoring?

Frenchie is 11 month old Standard Poodle, I have been practising and practising and when I try to compare to pics. I am intrested in competing. I did over a year ago and crashed and burned at pasadena. (Huge show and no idea what I was getting into) I would be competing in Novice level.

I know I only scissored the main body area and not the lower legs or do her head piece. I am just wanting to know if I am on track or if I seriously need to think about getting lessons again.
    Attached Files

Hi!
    Next time she's in,,take some more photos of her standing square and stacked- a little more up close,,head up and tail up- you know- and send them along to me! From what I can see, your scissoring on her body is smooth, but she's not standing square enough to see her angulation or frame at all. Keep up the good work!
    Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
    www.ChrisSertzel.com

Comment

I don't consider myself qualified to critique your actual groom, so I'll leave that to those "in the know".

I did however want to commend you for even attempting to compete...that's really brave, and no matter WHAT the scenario is...1st time in a dog show, 1st time showing in Obedience, 1st time competing in a grooming competition...it is always HUGE, and none of us EVER really knew what we were getting into. Anyone that tells you differently...is fibbing, lol!
      It's all part of the learning process, and you should be very proud of yourself that you (unlike me) even attempted it...and even more..are determined to try again.

It's also very brave to post pics here for critiquing, so I would say you are well on your way.

I do have 2 tips (that others may mention as well) and the good news is...they will be the easiest ones to remedy.

1. You need to learn the proper way to "stack" (that's posing) the dog. That way you can tell the person who is holding the dog...to move this foot forward, or that foot backwards, or hold the head higher, etc. Proper stacking can really enhance a good groom, and improper stacking...can make a good groom really look like crp.

2. In order to get a good critique...the picture needs to be larger. It looks like your scissoring skills are good, but it's hard to tell when the picture is so small.

It sure looks like Frenchie has a beautiful coat to work with, and I bet you can make great strides! Good luck!
      Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

I am a beginner too, so I am not qualified to give any opinions. I would recommend Jodi Murphy's DVD on competition. It is so thorough!!! It tells you everything to expect and how to prepare. I competed for the first time last September. If I had had Jodi's DVD before then my experience would have been completely different. I am actually looking forward to competing again.

It also would help if you picture was bigger. It's so tiny it would be really hard to see much.
        "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Comment

Thanks for the fast replies everyone...

I had my boss take this picture with his blackberry and for some reason it sized it down. I'll take more pictures tomorrow (hopefully stacked more correctly) and would love for your comments and suggestions again.

Thanks to all!

Angela

Comment

Working...
          X