Please Critique my poodle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Critique my poodle

This is Pippin. I got him from "Lefty"/Karen to practice scissoring on. I've been working on him little by little. He is in a German trim. He is also a little long in body. Please give me your feedback on what I can do to improve the angulation.

Thanks.

P.S. he is not stacked ideally but this is the best I could get from him.
    Attached Files
    "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

He looks like he's low on leg as well as being long backed. Plus he looks like he has a lot of bone for his size.

I think your outline is pretty good, but with this dog you can't leave any hair under him at all. Take a 5f and go forward against the grain on underneath on his chest and do the sides where his rib spring is shorter as well. You'll need more hair on top and trim the legs tighter and smaller. That should help raise him up on leg.

BTW the scissoring looks well done.

Comment

I'm not positive but I feel like his underside is too low. His underchest shouldn't fall below his elbow. And I also feel like he looks a little too flat in the front. Maybe it was just the angle.
      And like I said, I don't know for sure, but that's what I see, hopefully a poodle pro can tell you better

Comment

He really is like a dachshund with curly hair. He has an inch of hair on his topline and hardly any hair left on his belly or his front and back end. I should have gotten a better picture of him, but he wouldn't hold his head up.

His point of rump is too low. And I noticed while he was running around the house that his topknot is lopsided, but I don't think you can tell that from any of the pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by Fast Ellie View Post
          Take a 5f and go forward against the grain on

BTW the scissoring looks well done.
          I am trying to not use clippers on him anywhere (other than face and feet).

Thanks for the compliment. I struggle so much with scissoring. I literally start to panic because I am worried I am going to ruin the haircut. I took me four hours to groom him.

Comment

the scissoring is fabulous. I too would take the stomach way shorter, the rear (right by the butt) in my opinion needs to go shorter as well as the chest. What a pretty color he is!

Comment

I also think he looks like he has too much body. I would take his underline and rear angulation very short with a blade. You need to shorten his body length and increase his leg length. I would also do his topline shorter than one inch. I do a small male standard that is very dumpy and chubby, I finally talked the owner into letting me do a german style on him and I did his underline, rear and sides with a 7f and it made a massive difference to the way his body looks.
              Attached Files

Comment

Key Ray

I think Fast Ellies advice is good. I can appreciate not wanting to use clippers but in the long run , once you can relate to how short you must go you will be able to bust it out with scissors. Your dog looks nice just needs to be shorter all over because of the way he is built. Besides you still need to scissor it for the finish....Keep that scissoring spray handy!

Comment

Getting to this thread late...sorry if I repeat what others have said.
                  I did a rough outline--showing where he could use more or less hair and his angulation. She is low & long...but you sure could hide and sculpt a lot of that in with the scissors. His color is really nice- catches the eye!
                  Attached Files
                  Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
                  www.ChrisSertzel.com

Comment

Originally posted by epilady View Post
                    once you can relate to how short you must go you will be able to bust it out with scissors. Keep that scissoring spray handy!
                    I hadn't thought about that, I will try it. I went back and looked at him and he does have about a half an inch hair on his belly, so I can take more length off. If I can wake up early tomorrow morning, maybe I will try messing with him again.

I used scissoring spray for the FIRST time on this very haircut. Didn't even know I had it but Tammy came over on Saturday and searched through all my "stuff" and found it.

Comment

Thanks for drawing it out Windy. In my mind's eye I can see it, but I could never draw it out on the puter.

What you illustated was exactly what I had tried to convey.

Comment

Originally posted by windywaycavaliers View Post
                        I did a rough outline!
                        THANK YOU!!! I printed out the photo with your corrections. I'm going to take it with me to work to give me an idea.

I don't know how you poodle experts do it. I can't [I]see[/I] the angles and whatnot. Maybe I will figure it out someday, and maybe not.

I just wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions. Some days I'm tempted to take a #7 blade to him. His hair takes so much maintenance.

Comment

Originally posted by scullysmom View Post
                          What a pretty color he is!
                          Isn't he though. Karen (lefty on this site) got him when he was a pup from a breeder local to her. He is coming up on 2 years old. But he has the problem that the reds do, his hair is very very soft. I hand dry him and stretch his coat, I've even tried a flat iron, but within a couple hours of grooming he is curly again.

When Karen first gave him to me I thought I was insane. He is so different from the terriers that I've had for 21 years. But now I love him for all his little quirks and his fun hyper personality. I can't imagine not having him at my heels all the time. I've even carried him into a couple stores with me. Next I'll be getting a hand bag to carry him around in.

Comment

I keep messing around with this photo--I saw in the first one that his actual points of angulation on his body might be off from where I spotted them--his legs are shorter, I think, and his POR and POH are tighter together. These outlines can be difficult sometimes to get just right as the mouse lines hops around, but where the mind wants the line to go doesn't...--here's another photo outline with more flair- more chest, neck, and a tighter underline...
                            Either way- I am not an expert, that's for sure.
                            Attached Files
                            Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
                            www.ChrisSertzel.com

Comment

Originally posted by windywaycavaliers View Post
                              Either way- I am not an expert, that's for sure.
                              When you are at zero you are grateful for ANY help. Looks good to me. I am going to work on him on next Monday. I have to be honest, I can barely get myself out of bed as it is.

Comment

Working...
                              X