Ferris the standard schnauzer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ferris the standard schnauzer

This is Ferris the 10 month old standard schnauzer. He has never been groomed before and was a big hairy monster. I handstripped his body and tail, clipped his head with a 7f reverse, ears 10, and tidied feet. His beard isnt finished becuse he had had enough by this time so I will tackle that next time and he doesnt have much leg hair yet so I left them too. His owners requested the shorter eyebrows. He was pretty well behaved for his age, but very bouncy and playful. His coat came out quite easily. He took about 2 hours total, although he wasnt done in one hit.

Linda
    petgroomaustralia
    Attached Files

Do you do a lot of handstripping "down under" ? Don't they dock the tails or is it just this one that wasn't docked? I'm use to seeing the ears not being cropped but the tail is usually docked.

Nice job.
    "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
    Diane

Comment

Not a lot of groomers do handstripping. I used to have a groomer working for me that showed terriers and I learnt from her, I do quite a few, both terriers and spaniels. Ear cropping and tail docking are both illegal in Australia. Some owners are wanting shaved tails on the terriers, others want fluffy, its a mixed bag. I prefer them shorter. I stripped this one fairly short.

Comment

All of your dogs came out great!

Comment

The tail threw me, I'm use to seeing them with nubbies. He looks very handsome.
          Never gonna know if you never even try

Comment

Wow, you did all that handstripping in one session....he looks awesome!!! How long did it take you? Like another poster mentioned we don't do a lot of handstripping in many US shops. I thought (wrongly apparently) that handstripping was a work in progress. Please share any details, I am trying to get some practice/experience in handstripping so any infor from a pro would be most welcomed!!! Also, what all stripping tools did you use on him? Thanks:-)
            SheilaB from SC

Comment

His coat was ready to come out and came quickly and easily. His owners say they will keep him up at home between grooms...yeah right. I certainly dont handstrip to show standards on pets. First I put chalk in the coat to help the tools to grip the hair, then I use the 18 blade coat king to take out the really loose coat and demat if needed, then I use the coat king with the blades really really close together, I think its the spaniel one, to remove even more loose hair. By this time more than half hair has been removed. Lastly I pull the rest with a stripping knife. This method does not strip them right down to their pajamas but if perfectly adequate for a pet and doesnt kill your hands. The chalk is the key to getting the hair out quickly and easily and so you need to do the stripping before the bath. Its virtually impossible to strip a clean coat.

Linda
              petgroomaustralia

Comment

Working...
              X