Poodle vs Mud!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poodle vs Mud!

Sometimes I ask myself why in the world I ever wanted white/cream colored Poodles... *sigh*

Dallas thought it would be fun to play in the mud and dig holes and get all nasty dirty. I about screamed when I saw him. Seriously.. I could feel the tears start building up! My husband just stood there laughing his butt off. I could have killed them both. LOL He had like 4 inches of coat.. which so clean and soft and mat free... BEFORE the 'mud bath'. UGH. Remind me again why I love my poodles so much? ROFL

Pay no attention to his nasty long nails on his front paws. I trimmed them but I can't find my dremel since we moved into our house we just bought so instead of me quicking him with nail clippers, I'm just gonna find a groomer here in town who will dremel them for me. I tried doing the topknot differently (found another video on how to do them).. but still not looking right.

Any critique welcome. It's the only way I'll ever learn! =P
    Attached Files

I feel your pain! I have a black standard who has decided the horse trough is her own personal pool. Because of her constantly jumping in she's been shaved down and still finds ways to get absolutely filthy.

Comment

That is one happy poodle in the first picture!
      "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Comment

Oh thanks for the good laugh I need one today. I can't help it that is so cute and endearing. Whats wrong with the top knot it looks good to me. What are you trying to go for? I think you grooming looks really nice are you a groomer. Your post implies that you may not be so I wasn't sure.

Comment

Believe me when I say this: I feel your pain more than you will ever know and I'm laughing for the sole reason that I'm SOOOO HAPPYYYY to see that somebody else has a poodle that prefers to be a lab!

I can't find my pictures but Scarlett and Mousse decided to do some mud wrestling in the back yard the other day and it took me three rinses to get Scarlett cleaned off and she had been shaved down the day before!
          ~*~*~Shawn, C.M.G.~*~*~
          Apparently common sense isn't all that common
          *~*~emipoo on egroomer*~*~*

Comment

Yay! I'm not alone! I thought my poodle was the only one who did this. LOL The lady I got Dallas from said he liked water and acted more like a 'dog' than a pampered poodle... boy was she right! He loves getting dirty and yeah, he was a happy as heck after playing in the mud. I couldn't stay mad at him for long.. he was only doing what he liked. Besides, it could have been worse right? It could have been poop he played in! *gag*

tmenne - No I'm not a groomer. Just a hobby groomer. I only groom my own dogs (2 standard poodles, 1 toy poodle, and a Lab). As for the topknot.. I don't know. It just seems.. wrong some how. Hrmm.. maybe I'm just being to much of a perfectionist? LOL I did it using straight shears, as I can't afford nice curved ones yet. I took him to Petsomething this afternoon to get his nails dremeled down and ears plucked and asked the few groomers what their opinions were of his overall hair cut. They said it looks good of course they could be saying that to be nice and I was a customer. LOL

Comment

Wow! That's to funny!

Comment

I got off the bus from school one day (eons ago, yes they had busses then) and a black lab came running to greet me. We lived kind of out in the middle of nowhere. there were about 6 houses on my street which was about 2 miles long and the houses were kind of clustered together. Everyone had about 2 acres, so we all knew each others pets and no one I kenw had a black lab. As I got closer (I was always happy to see a new pet I could drag home claiming they followed me) I realized this was my white Standard Poodle GiGi! She didn't have a docked tail and was packed with so much mud! I was a latchkey kid, dragged her inside and bathed her in our bathtub. My mom was not happy when she had to clean sticks and other filth out of the tub afterwards, but GiGi was clean! Apparently she had gotten out before my mom had to go to work and my mom wouldn't catch her. She would always come back in an hour on the rare occasion she got loose, but with no one to let her in she ran free for the day. Did I mention our property border a swamp? Yeah, it was all swamp water and mudd and ick.
                What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

Dogs will be dogs, is all I can say and it's not limited to poodles! I had my shih tzu in full coat for many years but like it or not ,in her mind , she was not a shih tzu but a lab like her best friend and sister.
                  I finally gave up the last time her FULL COAT was covered in mud and stickers, I shaved her. Her nickname from there on out was PIGPIN becasue she loved to be dirty and roll in the dirt and to do whatever her sister the lab did.
                  They went pontoon boating, hiking, camping and snow skiing, but never again a long silky coat for the shis tzu. And I gave up whatever makes her happy.

Comment

Eww I'm just cringing at the idea of a poodle so covered it's black. LOL I have a feeling Dallas would do that if I let him. I guess I'm just going to have to keep his coat short so it's easier to bathe him when he decides to get muddy. Sucks too because I wanted to grow him out and try my hands at creative grooming and turn him into something cool like a Camel or Ponydoodle.

Comment

Originally posted by LonestarPoodle View Post
                      Eww I'm just cringing at the idea of a poodle so covered it's black. LOL I have a feeling Dallas would do that if I let him. I guess I'm just going to have to keep his coat short so it's easier to bathe him when he decides to get muddy. Sucks too because I wanted to grow him out and try my hands at creative grooming and turn him into something cool like a Camel or Ponydoodle.

Be glad that you have black mud and not our lovely red clay. If your pooch decided to take a mud bath in our nasty clay he might now be a redhead! Not kidding. I have clients w/light colored dogs of different breeds that are actually stained from the clay. No amount of washing will get it out if it has saturated long enough and it also will leave the coat feeling really harsh. Luckily the ones that are allowed to marinate in the clay long enough to be a problem are uisually yard dogs who's owners aren't really concerned.

Thus the reason I have a Boxer and a Lab (chocolate)...........lol.........

I love the picts! Thanks for sharing. BTW, you do a really nice job on your Poodle.
                      SheilaB from SC

Comment

Im sorry, shouldn't laugh...but that is a poodle that knows how to have fun. Looks very proud of his now chocolate coat

Comment

That is some pic. It's like he is saying "Look at me! I've had such fun. Thanks for putting that mud puddle out back."
                          You do a great groom for a hobby. The only thing I would say about the top knot is it is a little flat on top. I'd try to bring it up a little and round it more (it can be done with straight scissors too). Just try and make it look a little bit more like your avatar pic.
                          "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
                          Diane

Comment

LOL!!!!! I got my 2 standards so that I could put them in "pretty, foo foo clips." Nobody told me they were gonna act like Pigpen. Mine spend a majority of the time shaved down.

Comment

Working...
                            X