Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just THOUGHT I had seen the worst case...NOT!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just THOUGHT I had seen the worst case...NOT!

Well, if you remember awhile back I posted some pics of a little white poodle that I groomed for the humane society. She was nasty! Well....today I "groomed" a little poodle/shih mix for a couple of elderly women that was way worse! An 80 year old male friend of theirs called me to set up an appointment for this little dog. He said that he would pay for it if I would come. The owners, I guess, just argue everytime they bring up the subject??? That's what he said anyways?? Sassy is 7 years old and has been clipped TWICE by the owners over the years!! OMG!! Other than that, never seen a groomer! They do take her in to vets office for shots. This really shocked me because there is no way in ^@!! that the vet did not see the condition this poor baby was in! She claimed he had to cut through the matting to find skin for the vaccines! This just really makes me boil to think a vet would go ahead and give the dog shots without saying how desperate she needed to be groomed!! I don't know?? I suppose it's not his "job" to tell them but if it's not his...who's is it?? He's a vet for goodness sakes, people tend to believe everything their vet says. If you see in the video, her legs were complete casts...foot and all! The feet was encased by about an inch (at least) of solid matting. The lady claimed his nails had been clipped!! The video shows otherwise! I HAVE NEVER EVER SEEN TOENAILS THAT LONG! Had to have been at least 3 inches!! Some straight, some curly, some broke off with the chunk embedded in the matting...disgusting! And painful! I would get all the hair taken off down to the toes and I would have to work/cut the matting by the toes then carefully work the length of nail out of the matt before I could actually take it off the foot! Surprisingly, she just had some redness with a few more severe spots that were raw. Once I freed her from the casts on her legs/feet, I decided I'd let her go potty...mistake! She got out there, I set her in the grass and she started flailing around so badly, I had to just bring her back in. I'm pretty sure that she was in pain...her feet hadn't felt anything but these matts for YEARS!! Well, see for yourselves! I'm done. Started at 10:30am and left their home at 5pm!! Had to reschedule my other 3 for the day, couldn't let this poor baby go another minute in this condition. Stupid me...took all these videos of her during her groom and forgot all about getting a final shot! Oh well, not much of a groom anyway. #10 strip all over and her feet looked like **** with her nails pointing in all directions even after being cut down. I was able to save a little poodle pom on her tail I'm sorry but you know the thing that really aggrevates me about this whole situation is this...these ladies love this dog, you can tell. They have a little sweater for her, they had multiple huge bags of beggin' strips sitting there...so why not buy a few less bags of treats...and use the money to keep her healthy by getting her groomed once in a blue moon?? I did ask the friend if he thought they would take better care of her?? He was going to stay on them about this he said..."well, I said, is this something I need to report? It is obviously neglect." He said he would like it if I didn't. I know what you're thinking but this old man LOVES this little dog! It's not his, but he loves her! I know he thought if I reported them, they would take her away and he would never see her again! Poor guy...poor dog! Too bad he can't take her with him to the old folks home he lives in...

Well here's the links to some of the footage of the day...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXonLv8v860
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZsg31j_fMU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry59IHPgbNo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOmsmuj_Uu8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLHmMDL0F8c
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDpbGtNE3xw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YNjrwPCpSo
    Attached Files

OH...MY...GOSH...Oh my gosh...

I have NEVER EVER ....EVVVVVVVVER, seen nails like that. Or mats quite like that.

Where the blankity blank do you live that you get dogs like this? LOL, seriously, you are like the dog rescuer where you are! And you must have a load of patience!

On the lighter side, I showed my husband the nails and he said, "They look like Spike's," LOL. He teases me because Spike's nails are a little long because he turns into NAUGHTY PANTS when I do his nails, and I swear I'll accidently break him!

Tammy in Utah
    Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

oh my god! That poor dog! She must feel so much better, did she act happier once you finished her? I can't even imigine those toe nails. Were you able to talk to the owners at all about keeping her groomed regularly from now on? Maybe call them in a few weeks to check in, try and get them to rebook, and if they don't, call animal control to pay them a visit and have a talk. I can't believe the condition of that dog!!!

Comment

there are no words, only tears.
        I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
        -Michelangelo

Comment

Think of the dog...

I'm sorry, but there comes a time when you just need to think of the dog first. I would be calling animal control ASAP on this one, and showing them the pictures and videos. Either they really don't care for the dog as they claim, or they're incompetent, in either case the dog should be taken from them, there is no reason the dog needs to suffer like this.

That's my opinion anyways.

Comment

I live in Southern WI but really don't get that many matted ones!

Just the few I've had have been horrible. I groom fairly regular for another family one street over from this farm (it's a very rural area) so I told the man I would call these ladies everytime the other family sets appts (which is usually about 8 wks) to see if they would like to schedule. I have mixed feelings about the whole situation. I want someone to know that this is happening and maybe keep an eye on her because I really don't think the ladies understand how bad she was. The one just kept saying that "she is only on carpet everywhere she goes"...?? Whatever that has to do with anything?? I told her her pad would have had to be hidden for years with that much matting so she is going to be in pain and uncomfortable for awhile while she gets used to the feeling of the floors on her feet and without those nails killing her. They do keep her vaccinated so...that shows they do understand she needs to be cared for, I guess?? Why wouldn't the vet mention it to them?? Maybe he did and they never listened, who knows? I guess like others have said on other threads like this, usually nothing will be done becuz they DID get it groomed, but this groom was not initiated and paid for by the ladies but by their friend who couldn't stand seeing her like that anymore.

Comment

How can you enjoy a dog in such condition?

The dogs' legs must have felt tingly, like when asleep, they start to get circulation in them. I have heard of dogs who loose feet from no circulation. Or crippled. can she walk normally? I hope they paid you well. Somehow I think you probably did it for a pretty normal rate but did so for then sake of the dog.

She Had to be grateful. I do hope you can be her savior from now on.

Comment

Originally posted by Jenneversage64 View Post
                The dogs' legs must have felt tingly, like when asleep, they start to get circulation in them. I have heard of dogs who loose feet from no circulation. Or crippled. can she walk normally? I hope they paid you well. Somehow I think you probably did it for a pretty normal rate but did so for then sake of the dog.

She Had to be grateful. I do hope you can be her savior from now on.
                I think that may have been the problem when I took her out to go potty before I started on her face!? She just flung around and rolled on her back like a dead cockroach! I don't know about walking really?? We carried her in and she was standing ok when we got her in the house but she never had to walk yet so?? He paid more than I asked but not as much as I would have charged the ladies...I felt guilty that it wasn't even the man's dog to be paying for it. He did pick me up a burger and brought it out to me He was so nice and had tears in his eyes everytime he'd come out to check on her. He actually came out for a bit while I worked on her face to help make her feel safe. She did really well though, no trying to bite just flinging head and pulling on legs when I was trying to get the nails untangled from matts. I'm sure it hurt!

Comment

Maybe the women need help, you said they were elderly. Did you see the house? Are they even able to be taking care of themselves. I don't know how old elderly is to you. Maybe there are some early "old people" problems. Some dementia or senelity.
                  Older ladies always like company, maybe it wont hurt to stop by on occasion, bring the dog a treat, ask how everyone is etc...
                  Just because they keep UTD on shots, doesn't mean everything still works right upstairs
                  If you sweat the small stuff, all you have is small soggy stuff.....

Comment

Wow! Your videos brought tears to my eyes. That poor baby! I have NEVER seen nails so long. And to think the were encased in the matts. How patient you must be in order to trim all the hair from around them. You did a wonderful thing freeing the pup from the cast he was wearing. The tail was amazing! I just thought it was an undocked tail, but that matt must have been growing and growing for years.

Great job!

Comment

Gracie

That was horrible and brought back memories of some of the pitiful dogs I've had to groom.

Tis no easy job to shave and that is definitely a shave, not grooming.

When faced with a dog with matts like that on the feet where the toenails are imbedded in the matts I would cut the toenails to free the matts. When you get to the point that you are on the foot, knowing the toenails are long and the matts have grown around the nails I have found it easier to free the foot after cuttiing the nails and then proceed getting the rest of the hair off.

i hope that you never have to groom a dog in that condition again. It was always so depressing to me and even tho I may have helped the dog it never made me feel good.

Comment

I've seen some pretty badly neglected dogs...

but yours takes the cake! I can't believe that dog was even still alive! What a terrible life it must be to have to suffer in that condition. What were those women thinking?! What was their reaction? Did they even realize how bad it was? Thank God for that man who got you to come out, and thank God for you! You were so patient and kind to this poor little dog. I would love if you would follow up with them, maybe check in or pay another visit to see how the dog is doing in a few days or a week or so. I hope you check back next time he is due for grooming. I doubt they will keep up with it. Maybe now that man will keep an eye on the dog though.

Comment

Originally posted by Fast Ellie View Post
                          Gracie

That was horrible and brought back memories of some of the pitiful dogs I've had to groom.

Tis no easy job to shave and that is definitely a shave, not grooming.

When faced with a dog with matts like that on the feet where the toenails are imbedded in the matts I would cut the toenails to free the matts. When you get to the point that you are on the foot, knowing the toenails are long and the matts have grown around the nails I have found it easier to free the foot after cuttiing the nails and then proceed getting the rest of the hair off.

i hope that you never have to groom a dog in that condition again. It was always so depressing to me and even tho I may have helped the dog it never made me feel good.
                          Yea...I just didn't know where the foot really was til I got to it...the matt extended a good 4 inches beyond the toes so I was afraid to cut her foot?? Luckily I didn't cut her AT ALL!! I had to use my little pointed shears and cut the matts off her legs that way since she didn't like the clippers there. :/

And, stewie...yes they are elderly. 80's....not sure about their mental status since I only just met them but we'll see?

Comment

Oh that really is the worst I've seen, I had one almost as bad as that.

I was closed out on the other thread, but I wanted to say that calling the AC is a serious matter and should not be done lightly. I prefer to work with the owner first. They are frequently themselves less than "up to par" and for one reason or another don't fully understand the consequences of their neglect even though they love the dog. I would sit down and talk to them about the condition of their dog and how it makes the dog feel and that it's in need of regular grooming to prevent that happening again. In a case like the one above, I may even mention that I will have to call AC if they don't follow up with grooming within a certain period of time and then check on the dog within that time. Most I find are actually GLAD to have my support. It's almost as if they NEED someone to give them guidelines to follow and help them do what's right. I'm not against calling AC, it's just not my first reaction unless the dog is seriously ill or injured. I feel it's my job to work with these cases and if they don't respond THEN get AC involved. Maybe that's not a popular approach, but I want to work with the people too and you can't do that if you call the authorities on them right off the bat. JMHO.
                            A Light exists in Spring, Not present on the Year, At any other period -- When March is scarcely here...~~ Emily Dickensen~~

Comment

Ask around

Ask to find out if these people CAN afford grooming, and if they can, tell them that they MUST get her groomed or the Animal Welfare people could take her away.

Alternatively, just groom her every 2 months when you are out there for a discount price - not a special trip, quick groom because she'll be an easy "strip" (I'll bet owners bath at home, so get them to do that, and you shave down).

Good luck! (Blah!! I can't stand thinking of the poor dog in that condition! And there are so many....)

Comment

Working...
                              X