Kerry Blue: thoughts please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kerry Blue: thoughts please.

Here's Clio, a sweet retired Ch. who I've groomed only 2x. Her owner does most of her maintenance, but comes to me every now and again to get her back into a short version show trim.

I'd love to perfect this breed, as I love them so much. Please let me know where you think I can improve, etc. Thanks.
    Attached Files
    Erin
    No Fur, No Paws, No Service.

here's some more of Clio.
    Attached Files
    Erin

Comment

Erin, I've never groomed a kerry blue (but have always always wanted to!), so I am not one to critique. I cannot tell from the full-body pictures because of how dark they are, so I thought I'd suggest that you lay a while cloth or bath towel down before taking your photos of dark dogs, and that way you can see AT LEAST their sillouhette a little better. It works for me.

The dog's face looks just like the photos, though, so I think you did a very nice job!

Tammy in Utah
      Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

I don't have much experience with them, but I wanted to mention I love the expression in the first pic.

Comment

Geez, Erin....I remember a post of yours where you were implying that you weren't good enough. Every groom you post here is beautiful, in my opinion, including this one. I can't help you at all with a critique. I've never groomed one before and haven't really looked to much at "Notes" regarding this breed. Hopefully, others will be able to give you some good advice. But, like I said, looks great to me!
          don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

Get the beard a little more angled, it look a little like a bouvier head instead of a kerry. I used to groom a former show kerry, so it was easy to learn the lines from the owner. Other than that the dog looks great!

Comment

Erin, Clio looks great. You really do excellent work. I used to do a family of 6 kerries-2 each week, then their scottie, then back to the kerries. I, too love this breed, and have also shown them. Only thing I can say from the photos, is that the fall should be level with the top of the skull-not like a sealyham. Also maybe more rear angulation-take the backs of the rear legs very close to the hock, I have used a 4 blade here on pet trims. Good job!!!!
              Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

I would take the tail shorter, Maybe a 3 or 4 on the top of tail and a 7 or 5 on underside then blend the two. The body looks nice. I would take more off the face I think just more thinning shears around the cheek area to angulate it more and blend it.

Comment

Erin, I think you did a beautiful job! Yesterday I went to a local dog show and I noticed that the Kerry's there had a less styled fall. I always trimmed mine like you did, (though I did take it a down little farther towards the brow. These dogs at the show had the short brows and the fall was left more natural like a Bouvier. They also had a bigger distinction between the legs and body. Like I said, I think your groom is beautiful, this is just what I observed yesterday. What did you use on Cleo?
                  SheilaB from SC

Comment

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Now to give a better angle on the beard, you mean from the eye to the mouth more?

Also, to fix the fall and and make it less like a Sealyham, should I thin/trim the top of it, so it's not a direct line from shaved topskull to fall, its more gradual with the uppermost hairs shorter and blending into the longer hairs??? I always have this problem. I always think it should go from short to long immediately with more of a part than a blend...I must be wrong?

Lastly, the angulation on the rear legs, it looked like the owner used a 10 blade on them before I got there, so there wasn't a whole lot to work with (I'm thinking Poodle thoughts, though). Should I use a 10, like one would do on a Black Russion Terr?

Again, thank you everyone!
                    Erin

Comment

Yes, Erin, think poodle thoughts on the back legs-I wouldn't use a 10 tho. Top of head and fall should be on the same plane-if that makes sense. Just rest your scissors on the top of the head and cut. The client with the 6 Kerries was a show person, and she showed this to me. I was horrified when she picked up my 10" shears and started to re-do the head. Not only did she do the top, but she rested the shears on the cheek area and cut off anything that wasn't even with the cheeks. It did look good, tho. Gave the head a longer, leaner look.

Groom on!!!

Comment

I LOVE these critiques, I learn SO much! I agree, the fall would look nice trimmed over the top, Karla, I hadn't noticed before. I will keep that in my head for future reference.

Still, I think the dog looks lovely.

Tammy in Utah
                        Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Originally posted by KarlaSnyder View Post
                          Yes, Erin, think poodle thoughts on the back legs-I wouldn't use a 10 tho. Top of head and fall should be on the same plane-if that makes sense. Just rest your scissors on the top of the head and cut. The client with the 6 Kerries was a show person, and she showed this to me. I was horrified when she picked up my 10" shears and started to re-do the head. Not only did she do the top, but she rested the shears on the cheek area and cut off anything that wasn't even with the cheeks. It did look good, tho. Gave the head a longer, leaner look.
                          Oh my that makes me nervous!! I'm afraid I'm going to rest my scissors atop the dog's head, and end up with this fall that looks more like I forgot to trim the face, than a purposeful fall. Follow? It seems like it wouldn't fall, but look like perpetual puppy coat that was still growing in. It seems that the fall I had on their would be better corrected by different drying/brushing techniques vs. lopping off what lays above the topskull.

Don't think I'm second guessing you, I greatly greatly appreciate your time and consideration in helping me perfect this groom. I just want to make sure I don't screw this girl up, lol.
                          Erin

Comment

Just take off a little, Erin. Just off the top to get that line from the occiput to the nose. Check out the cover of Groomer To Groomer (Nov/Dec) with Sarah Hawks on the cover with a Kerry.

Groom on!!!

Comment

Erin, that is a beautiful job there - they are a pleasure to groom aren't they?
                              The tail should be quite thick, more so thhan other long-legged terriers. The body should be allowed to curl a little more and the legs should be straight. The head is great but to take a little off the top and the cheeks would tidy it right up. Also as someone mentioned the end of the bread should be more angled to give that wonderful brick outline. You can leave the head longer between the ears as they shouldn't have that severley short head like some others do. Accentuate the rear angulation a little more. Hopefully this dog will be back to you so that you can perfect an already great job.

Bravo though that is a really nice grooming job.

Comment

Working...
                              X