My first Airedale...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first Airedale...

...that I did myself, that is. We don't get a lot of people that want the breed standard trim, so I get really excited when I get some one who says "do what ever you want just dont make him look like a poodle!" This girl was so much fun to groom. Very well behaved! Please let me know what you think. I noticed that I could have blended in the cheeks a bit more and the rear too. The owner loved it so I'm happy.

PS- I just noticed I 'm posting in the B & A instead Check out my groom...sorry... Before, his hair was about 3 inches long when I brushed him out!
    Attached Files

I don't normally critique grooms, but since you asked....

Overall, you did a nice job. You already noticed you needed to blend the back legs a little more, so I won't go there. I'll focus on the head.

I'd take his eyebrows just a wee bit shorter. They really don't get much of a brow. Make the angle deep, from the inside corner of the nose to the outside corner of the eye. Skim forward over the brow (I use a 3) to make it nice and flat. You don't want the brows sticking up at all.

You can blend in the head by skimming with a 7 if you have a steady hand. Skim from the outside corner of the eye to the corner of the mouth. Take out any excess fullness under the eye. The fall looks good. Not to much, just enough to give a flat profile. On most of my Aireheads, I find that a #3 blade will leave just enough hair for a proper "fall", and I also skim down the face under the eye to blend and shape. And clipping the underside of the jaw with a 5 or 7, leaving just a goatee, will give you a cleaner line, and more of a brick shape.

Comment

Thanks Helly! I wrote down everything you said. I am honored to be critiqued by you.

Comment

Originally posted by Helly View Post
        And clipping the underside of the jaw with a 5 or 7, leaving just a goatee, will give you a cleaner line, and more of a brick shape.
        Aaaah! THAT'S how you do that! I groomed an airedale the other day that I felt looked ...just a wee bit off in the face. I think it looked like Bully's. The fall was good, but the face was too poofy on mine that's for sure.

Bully, aren't these great dogs? I've groomed only two of them but both are sweethearts. The ones I've seen other groomers work on are ...CRAZY!

One of the two I've done jumps right into the tub (who needs stairs?!) LOL

Tammy in Utah
        Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Originally posted by SpikeyTheYorkie View Post
          I've groomed only two of them but both are sweethearts. The ones I've seen other groomers work on are ...CRAZY!
          Tammy in Utah
          I just did one of the "CRAZY" ones yesterday. LOL
          "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
          Diane

Comment

I love these guys too. Had one of the crazys at my old shop got to the point we could hardly handle her. She was just young and spastic not agressive. Well her owners started taking her out for a run before coming in (somthing like 5+ miles) WOW much better behavied. LOL She was so popped "you just want me to stand her 'OK'"

Comment

Working...
            X