Husky shave down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Husky shave down

ok, I KNOW allllll about shaving double coated dogs. I do NOT shave double coated dogs unless it truely is nessesary!

This girl was rescued, the owner told me she wanted her shaved (ugh!) so that sparked a long discussion on the phone about why we DON'T shave huskies! But, surprise surprise, the owner actually knows how much of a bad idea it is to shave her. She doesn't actually want to have a shaved husky, but she currently has a thoroughly matted husky that cannot be groomed until the current coat comes off!

So Sashi comes in
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6646..jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	1134059

Sashi goes straight into the bath and gets a lot of shampoo and conditioner put through her coat with the hydrobath system

Name:	IMG_6647..jpg
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	1134062

Now, at this point I do a test, and using two HV [i]at once[/i] I see if I can blow some of the (very packed) coat up and away. I spent ages trying to lift some of the slick coat, and apart from managing to get a few holes along the spine I couldn't even find the skin under there!!! She HAD to be shaved. No dog would tolerate that mess being brushed! I promise you all I truely did spend time trying to get that undercoat moving using all the tricks in the book, but it was going to take one heck of a lot of work, and probably not actually be successful at all.

And so, much to my dismay, I wet-shaved her

Name:	IMG_6652..jpg
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	1134060 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6650..jpg
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	1134061

She went back into the bath for a proper rinse down, HV and got a finishing shave down.

I hate shaving a double coated dog, but darn it, when I have to do it I might as well do it [i]well[/i]!!! lol!

Name:	IMG_6658..jpg
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	1134063

I had a long discussion with the (very happy) owner about keeping her out of the sun until her coat gets thicker (though it is autumn here, so not sooooooo bad) as well as the 'uglies' stage as the undercoat grows in faster than the guard hairs etc etc. We also booked her in for a spring blow out to keep that coat in the best condition we could as it came in, but yes she is aware that she's looking at a good year or so until the coat is going to be more 'normal'. She's had a husky before, so while Sashi looks rather cool now, she is looking forward to her looking like a husky again!! lol.

Ug. I knew before I even logged in and saw the pics...it had to be a woolly. You sure had your work cut out for you...but the end result will be so much more comfortable for the dog.

Warn the owner that those coats are a TOTAL NIGHTMARE to maintain.
    They don't blow out like a normal coat...if they even blow at all. Getting her on a once a month schedule wouldn't be too frequent.

I had a woolly for 15 years (they are SO daggone cute!) and after she turned 6...her coat never blew again. Did every test available, to no avail, just an untreatable hormone thing.
    I have since seen this in 75% of the woollies I groom, and as they aged and could no longer tolerate the extended grooming process... we kept them short. (Not that short of course...I never had one so bad that I had to take the face down...)

They can also grow back in weird stages...w/ things that look like shoulder pads and poodle rosettes, before the coat returns in full. Good thing you warned the owner, lol!

You did a really nice job...I know how time consuming that production is! Blades HATE that coat too!
    Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

PS

The final after picture would have made a GREAT "Guess The Breed"!
      Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

I love the 'after'! Looks exotic! You did what you had to do and well.
        Last edited by Canopener Sally; 03-21-10, 04:22 PM. Reason: typo
        That Tenacious Terrier!
        www.thattenaciousterrier.com
        https://www.facebook.com/ThatTenaciousTerrier

Comment

WOW! How often do you see a bald Husky?
          "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
          People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

oh man Sibes, don't tell me this girl is gonna get like this again if we can't keep ontop of it!!! Poor thing... :/ I've had a 'woolly' finnish spitz in before, and NOTHING would get that undercoat to come out... I never knew about woollies then, though I've heard of it since.
            Ugh, I'm not looking forward to that if this girl is a wooly!

For now she's booked in for spring time (it's autumn here!), I don't think she's going to grow a whole heap of coat in over winter at the moment, so hopefully that'll do ok...!!!!

haha, and yes I did post the after pic on another forum for 'guess the breed' and the main guesses were for samoyed... lol!

Thank goodness this is the first time I've ever seen a naked husky, and fingers crossed it'll be the last time!!! She certainly looks spunky... just not like a husky! hahaha!

Comment

I have never seen a totally naked dog before.

Comment

She looks much better (and I am sure soooo much mo0re comfortable)! BUT, I HAVE to ask...why did you shave her head bald too?
                Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

I've never seen a totally naked Husky before either. Even the face hair is gone!
                  You did a great job. Just thinking about shaving one down hurts my back, arms, legs and hands!
                  "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
                  Diane

Comment

She looks like a rare, exotic Egyptian breed.........one of those unfortunates that they found in the tombs w/kings and queens.......lol.....

I also wondered why the shaved head and face but it gives her a kind of "regal" look. The same look that royal families of old had from to many close cousins reproducing.....haha

You should have done like sibes said and had a "guess the breed"..............be no one would have gotten that one!
                    SheilaB from SC

Comment

Why did I do her head? the owner wanted it all off, including her head! And to be honest, I prefer her butt nekkid, including her head, rather than an odd fuzzy head on a nekkid body...

Comment

Originally posted by sheilabgroomer View Post

You should have done like sibes said and had a "guess the breed"..............be no one would have gotten that one!
                        I agree. Except for hubby guessed it on the first try. I was sure I was gonna have him stumped when I showed him the pic. Low and behold....he said "it looks like a husky".....I couldn't believe it. I would have NEVER guessed..lol
                        Mandy, Birdie, Evie, Willie and The Woo
                        Check out my Blog at doggydivasdish.com

Comment

Great pics. Ive never seen a stripped husky before...neat.

Comment

Originally posted by doggydivas View Post
                            I agree. Except for hubby guessed it on the first try. I was sure I was gonna have him stumped when I showed him the pic. Low and behold....he said "it looks like a husky".....I couldn't believe it. I would have NEVER guessed..lol
                            Heh, I bet he cheated. I dont know what browser you use, but Windows Explorer shows the title of the thread, Husky shave down, in the bar at the very top of the window!
                            Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness.
                            George Sand (1804 - 1876)

Comment

Originally posted by PuppyFluffer View Post
                              Heh, I bet he cheated. I dont know what browser you use, but Windows Explorer shows the title of the thread, Husky shave down, in the bar at the very top of the window!
                              OM friggin G! You are right! He so had to have been cheating! And I am was totally impressed with his breed guessing skills. pfftt...lol
                              Mandy, Birdie, Evie, Willie and The Woo
                              Check out my Blog at doggydivasdish.com

Comment

Working...
                              X