My First Full Handstrip!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First Full Handstrip!

Yesterday I went out to the shelter to see who needed a little TLC. They had a gorgeous dog named Scrubs, they listed him as a (yeah right) Irish Terrier. But I figured, OK, his coat looks a little extra-scraggly, so I took him into the groom room.

I got a nice little surprise when I played with his coat - it was prime for handstripping! We NEVER get dogs with tight wire coats like this! He was a very good sport about getting groomed... until people started walking by the window. Then he HAD to put on a little tap-dance show and sing a song. Ah well, such is the nature of such a friendly dog.

He was a total noodge for his face though, so I didn't get it to blend as nicely as I wanted. Still, I think there's improvement between the before and after shots.

It's been proven that the dogs I groom get adopted faster, so I hope this new sleek style gets Scrubs a family. There were quite a few people passing by his kennel when we were done! Any thoughts, suggestions, and/or criticisms on it are welcome. And feel free to play Guess the Breed. I'd say he's Schnauzer (fidgety like one) and Otterhound (loved the water).

Also, I think I like handstripping
    Attached Files

Nice job! I LOVE handtstripping those wirey lil' bedheads too! my guess is Border terrierxSchanauzer
    "Everyone needs something to beleive in..I beleive I need another Poodle"
    Quote:Cath

Comment

What kinda dog is he?
      "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
      People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

I say he is a Norman Rockwell dog. The type that should have a little boy with a fishing pole over his shoulder. Truckin' down the dirt road off to the local fishing hole, with his best pal Scrubs tagging along.

I wouldn't guess schn...who knows but whatever he is, he's cute.

Comment

Very nice job. He looks so cute!

Comment

Originally posted by Fast Ellie View Post
            I say he is a Norman Rockwell dog. The type that should have a little boy with a fishing pole over his shoulder. Truckin' down the dirt road off to the local fishing hole, with his best pal Scrubs tagging along.
            I have to agree with Fast Ellie!

Oh....he is just so dang cute!!! He has the cutest face ever! Nice job.
            "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
            Diane

Comment

Originally posted by Fast Ellie View Post

I wouldn't guess schn...who knows but whatever he is, he's cute.
              I agree!

Actually, I was thinking if you put a different coat on him and wonked the ears a little...he resembles a SCWT. But then I noted his nice, short, tidy toenails and no pools of blood from trimming them....and that tossed SCWT out the window.

Really cute job JC....I bet he gets adopted real soon....he certainly is adorable!
              Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

Nice job

He looks much neater, but I don't think he is an Otterhound/Schnauzer mix because:

--Both those breeds have shaggy faces and legs, and drop or semi-erect ears, and the dog in your photo looks like one parent had a smoothish coat (Shepherd?) and one had a shaggy coat, but those are VERY erect ears!!

You could even have a Collie/Shepherd/Airedale on your hands, who knows? Collie/Shepherds are VERY common in most areas, and Airedales are not that unusual.

Comment

Thanks everyone!

SnP, your guess is as good as mine

4Sibes, I was thinking SCWT as well, but the temperament just didn't fit. He was a dollface for his nails!

Debbiedogs, my guesses were based on personality, size, and coat type. His coat was definitely tight wire, bordering on scruffy wire, hence me guessing Otterhound for the second breed. I've seen some wild erect ears on uncropped Schnauzers, plus he got a little nibby when people walked by, which is where the Schn. came from. His size was also in-between the two. As I said, I was leaning towards SCWT for a while as well. Your guess sounds probable as well, we've had a few Airdales and lots of GSDs. Whatever his history is, he's still 100% awesome.

I'm happy to let y'all know that he was adopted a few days ago by a lady with a four-year-old; Scrubs loves kids, so now he has a buddy as well as a home. Wag on, buddy!

Comment

Good job for giving hand stripping a "go" instead of just clipping! He's cute!

Comment

Working...
                    X