• Time
  • Show
Clear All
    liiikesunshinee
    Puppy Member

• liiikesunshinee
    replied
    Originally posted by Smart-n-Pretty View Post
    Parti, I'm not trying to be a smart egg or anything, but, Notes from the Grooming Table Westie looks nothing like that.
    Thats what I was trying to say! I have notes from the grooming table AND the all breed grooming guide, and to me they both seem to show a high skirt.

Leave a comment:

• liiikesunshinee
    Puppy Member

• liiikesunshinee
    replied
    Originally posted by petgroomaustralia View Post
    The dark purple comb is the SAME length as a 4 blade. The advantage of it is that it wont give you lines, choppiness and you wont have trouble blending with it.
    Actually, I prefer my 4f blade to my 4 comb. It cuts ALOT better, and it leaves a smoother cut. My attachment combs just catch and pull hair. I've tried everything to make them cut better. But they have been at the vet longer than I have, so I'm thinking perhaps they are just past their prime.

And just a thought, entirely my own opinion. Maybe the AKC way isn't always the best way. Despite that ugly line, I think Mungo looks hella cuter than that Westminster winner.

Leave a comment:

• Particentral
    Best in Show Member & Club 10,000

• Particentral
    replied
    http://www.westieclubamerica.com/per...tlight/martin/

That is the woman that taught me the most about how to groom Westies. I used her dog Sam, at Intergroom several years ago (took a second in HS class with him). Her guide is what I have in PDF format.

Dawn rocks! If you ever get a chance to talk to her she is wonderful and very helpful.

There is a reamarkable similarity in the dogs from her page and the Westminster dog. Westies used to have flowing skirts and now they are more sculpted and "terrier bodied".

Leave a comment:

• petgroomaustralia
    Miniature Member

• petgroomaustralia
    replied
    The dark purple comb is the SAME length as a 4 blade. The advantage of it is that it wont give you lines, choppiness and you wont have trouble blending with it.

Leave a comment:

• Particentral

• Particentral
    replied
    Parti, I'm not trying to be a smart egg or anything, but, Notes from the Grooming Table Westie looks nothing like that.
    I have NOTHING to say in that subject. NOTHING.

Leave a comment:

• Smart-n-Pretty
    Grand Champion & Club 5,000

• Smart-n-Pretty
    replied
    Oh, I LOVE the head. He must have a really beefy coat.

Leave a comment:

• scrubapup
    Standard Member & Club 1,000

• scrubapup
    replied
    LOL!! If I trimmed a Westies head like that I'm pretty sure the owner would come unglued. It may be the "correct" way, but it sure is ugly.

And unfortunately, although all my westie clients like the skirt blended in, they also seem to think it needs to look like a hula skirt. Same with Cockers and sometimes even Schnauzers. I hardly EVER get to groom a dog "the correct way".

Leave a comment:

• 4Sibes

• 4Sibes
    replied
    Originally posted by keyray View Post
    Do you know what "carding" is? Basically you are removing the undercoat with some kind of tool. If you card before clippering the back you won't get the choppy lines. Most Westies have so much undercoat, and if you use a shorter length on the back it's almost impossible to get a smooth finish.
    That's what I find helpful too...or a good once over w/ a Coat King prior to clipping.
    Some of my Westies have ridiculous undercoat....and scraggly to non-existent outer coat...and it's a challenge to not have lines showing.
    The other thing that helps alot as a finishing touch is if I have a problem area....after clipping, the Furminator.

Leave a comment:

• Smart-n-Pretty

• Smart-n-Pretty
    replied

Leave a comment:

• liiikesunshinee
    Puppy Member

• liiikesunshinee
    replied
    Originally posted by keyray View Post
    Do you know what "carding" is? Basically you are removing the undercoat with some kind of tool. If you card before clippering the back you won't get the choppy lines. Most Westies have so much undercoat, and if you use a shorter length on the back it's almost impossible to get a smooth finish.

It's too bad the owners have such particular requests. I would die of embarrassment if an owner wanted me to leave a "skirt line". My whole goal is to have the transition line from the shorter back to the longer skirt invisible.
    no, no. they didnt want the line so distinct. that is the original point of this post; I was asking about different techniques to blend that line. then parti pointed out that his skirt is too high per AKC standarda and I said that the owners wanted a higher skirt.

and you're right; he did have alot of undercoat, which was the reason I was having such a hard time blending the lines in the first place haha.

I do know what carding is and I believe I actually have a carding tool (blade?) in my tool drawer, but I have never done it. I will have to re-read into that (:

Leave a comment:

• keyray

• keyray
    replied

It's too bad the owners have such particular requests. I would die of embarrassment if an owner wanted me to leave a "skirt line". My whole goal is to have the transition line from the shorter back to the longer skirt invisible.

I really do love grooming Westies. Most of my clients don't want them handstripped, but I try to make the clipper cut look as close as possible.

Do you have Notes From the Grooming Table? It really is one of the best books when it comes to breed standards translated for groomers.

Leave a comment:

• liiikesunshinee
    Puppy Member

• liiikesunshinee
    replied
    I didn't until now, hence Mungo's superhigh skirt (:

I like to put my own little spin on the grooming I do, as long as it stays within any limitations the owner gave me. I really enjoy the creative and artsy aspect of grooming more than anything.

Leave a comment:

• pjsgroom
    Puppy Member

• pjsgroom
    replied
    blending skirts

You don't have wait until another skirted breed comes in I learned how to blend with shave downs. Anybreed will do I woud start out on the body and practice blending a skirt. Then shave it off. I made a skirt on every shave down I had in the shop. It really helped me practice doing the skirt and blending. Let me tell ya a malamute looks pretty funny with a westie body.

Leave a comment:

• Particentral

• Particentral
    replied
    You are. I was just making sure you knew it was right. Some people don't understand what correct looks like.

Leave a comment:

• liiikesunshinee
    Puppy Member

• liiikesunshinee
    replied
    Originally posted by Particentral View Post
    You ay not like that Westies head, but I assure you it is correct. That was the winner of the biggest show in the country last year. They really did get it right.
    I never said it didn't look correct. I never said anything of the sort. I was just stating my opinion, which as an artist I am entitled to have?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X