mungo loves carrots!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mungo loves carrots!

this is mungo. he's really obnoxious and tends to bite a little bit. but if you give him LOTS AND LOTS of carrots, he might let you groom him and keep all your fingers (:

i think this is my first "successful" westie cut. i did a 4f back (they don't like it shaved), A comb head, and scissored the skirt minimally. i feel like the pattern line on his skirt is god awful ridiculous. i tried to use my blenders to fix it but it didn't seem to do anything. any tips for next time?

the LAST picture is the before photo..the uploader window is being cranky.
    Attached Files

What a name,,Mungo,,,,hehehe. The skirt looks like you ran your clippers horizontally along the body and stopped at the skirt. On the sides, try to follow the hair growth and scoop at angle downwards to blend the body & the skirt. Not sure that explains it right,, maybe somebody can splain better

Comment

I would blend the skirt into the sides and back.

use thinners or even just the attachment comb. I also use a stripping knife to smooth out the undercoat and then the fur lays nicer. I also neaten the ear edges more. Shave the tip of the ear with a 15, 30 or even 40.

Comment

Originally posted by RudyRoo View Post
        What a name,,Mungo,,,,hehehe. The skirt looks like you ran your clippers horizontally along the body and stopped at the skirt. On the sides, try to follow the hair growth and scoop at angle downwards to blend the body & the skirt. Not sure that explains it right,, maybe somebody can splain better
        that is what I was thinking too. Follow the way the hair grows, down towards the table, not a traight line. Float the clipper off as you get to the under furnishings. that will help. Same thing on cockers.
        <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by RudyRoo View Post
          actually, that is exactly what i did. i always clipper downwards on the sides of the body, in the direction of the hair growth. never horizontally, it looks so choppy.

Comment

Originally posted by Jenneversage64 View Post
            use thinners or even just the attachment comb. I also use a stripping knife to smooth out the undercoat and then the fur lays nicer. I also neaten the ear edges more. Shave the tip of the ear with a 15, 30 or even 40.
            i attempted to use my blenders to thin out the line, but it did absolutely nothing. what else can i do? and I shaved the ear tip with a 15.
            Last edited by liiikesunshinee; 02-11-10, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Particentral View Post
              that is what I was thinking too. Follow the way the hair grows, down towards the table, not a traight line. Float the clipper off as you get to the under furnishings. that will help. Same thing on cockers.
              nope, definitely did not go horizontally. i always follow the direction of hair growth. what does float mean??

Comment

Originally posted by liiikesunshinee View Post
                actually, that is exactly what i did. i always clipper downwards on the sides of the body, in the direction of the hair growth. never horizontally, it looks so choppy.
                Ummmmm, I'm no expert by any means, not sure if I can be of any more help. One thing I did when I started grooming, (cause I was scared I would mess up a pattern), was to start with my longest blade to do the outline of the pattern, then use shorter blades to blend the sides until I used my shortest blade on the body only.. Takes a bit more time but was a big help. Don't know if that would help on his coat. Does he have thin fine hair???

Comment

Originally posted by liiikesunshinee View Post
                  nope, definitely did not go horizontally. i always follow the direction of hair growth. what does float mean??
                  When you are clippering down to the skirt, lightly skim off so you won't have a sudden stop line. You can use your comb vertically to lift both the shaved part and the top edge of skirt, then thin the hair sticking up out of the comb.

Comment

thank you so much! i will try everyones suggestions!

Comment

I must say, if you didn't clip horizontally you did a nice job on making that line very straight!

It should look smoother and not quite so abrupt. When you are taking the clipper down the side of the rib cage gently lift the clipper off the side as you reach the point where the skirt begins...hope that sounds right(?)

Keep trying you will get it!

sittingpretty

Comment

Originally posted by sittingpretty View Post
                        I must say, if you didn't clip horizontally you did a nice job on making that line very straight!

It should look smoother and not quite so abrupt. When you are taking the clipper down the side of the rib cage gently lift the clipper off the side as you reach the point where the skirt begins...hope that sounds right(?)

Keep trying you will get it!

sittingpretty
                        thank you, it took me a really long time to make the line so straight. there is just one little spot on his shoulder that dips down from him suddenly lifting his leg, but other than that i was very OCD on the line up, haha.

i think i understand what yall are saying about lifting the clippers away.. i cant wait to get another "skirted" dog so i can practice!

Comment

Dont use the 4 blade, use the dark purple wahl comb, same length but leaves a more handstripped look and the blending is very easy. Dont clip across the body on the sides, clip downwards on an angle following the way the coat grows.

Comment

Also, the line should NOT be straight it should follow the countours of the dog. Lower on the shoulders, higher on the ribcage. Look at a show cocker and you will see. I have a picture of a westie for you too I will have to find becuase it is not on this computer....you "skirt" strts at the widest part of the dog, and falls from there. You accentuate sholders and hips by taking them tighter.
                            <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by petgroomaustralia View Post
                              Dont use the 4 blade, use the dark purple wahl comb, same length but leaves a more handstripped look and the blending is very easy. Dont clip across the body on the sides, clip downwards on an angle following the way the coat grows.
                              the owners specifically asked for this length. they are very picky about how mungo is groomed, they like the back short (but not shaved) and soft to the touch. i have used comb attachments on his back before and they called for three days afterwards to complain.

also, in response to particentral, they prefer the skirt in a straight line, or else it is "uneven". i can very easily assume that they complained about the bottom of his skirt not being even when they picked him up from boarding the day after his groom. but if i had cut the front to match the back of the skirt, it would have been to short and guess what? they would have complained.

mungo's parents are chronic complainers but they board at my vet at least once a month so i can't turn them down. and he's really a pretty okay dog.

Comment

Working...
                              X