Mini Schnauzer Puppy's first groom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini Schnauzer Puppy's first groom

This little guys name is Smokey. His new dad said he is about 2 1/2 months old. They just got him from a pet shop here in Okinawa called Pet Box. Pet Box sells extremely expensive puppy mill puppies that are registerd by JKC or the Japanese Kennel Club. I have heard horror stories about some of those puppies. However, Smokey seems to be pretty healthy and I think he is going to have a wonderful life with the people who adopted him. He still has that fuzzy puppy hair that just kind of flies around and does its own thing. Amazingly enough, for being a puppy and for this being his first groom he was a pro! I'm looking forward to grooming him again!
    Attached Files

Very cute!

Well, he may be a bit oversize, but as long as he is a good and healthy dog, that is great! I'll bet they loved him all cleaned up!

Comment

He's a fatty

LOL! He is pretty big for being a mini at 3 months and he's got a little round tummy too. His daddy had just come from the vet and they told him not to get his hair cut until after he had all his shots. Just got the first one that day. I'm not sure what that's all about. Daddy was a little worried that I wouldn't be able to groom him since the vet told them "don't do it". I have certainly heard some crazy stories from people about the Japanese vets here on Okinawa.

Comment

Originally posted by Okigroomer View Post
        LOL! He is pretty big for being a mini at 3 months and he's got a little round tummy too. His daddy had just come from the vet and they told him not to get his hair cut until after he had all his shots. Just got the first one that day. I'm not sure what that's all about. Daddy was a little worried that I wouldn't be able to groom him since the vet told them "don't do it". I have certainly heard some crazy stories from people about the Japanese vets here on Okinawa.
        You really should get the puppy's shots done first before their grooming, at least their first two sets. Not only to protect the puppy from spreading diseases it's also to protect the puppy from everything out there that he/she could get. Definitely not a good idea!

Comment

Adorable

I had heard that puppies should have limited contact with other dogs & places that dogs frequent until they are done with all of their puppy shots. Something about it being easy for the puppy to contract something before they have their immune system in place? I don't know if this is true but just some thing I have heard a few times. The groom looks adorable, cute puppy. Terri

Comment

He looks so good. Great job.

Comment

What a cutie!

The salon I work at only requires rabies vx at 4 months or older, but we don't groom anything under 8 weeks. While, a puppy no matter what should be started on it's different vx/vx series as soon as the appropriate time arrives. I think he was fine. Yes you want to keep him and other dogs in your salon safe from the possibilities of parvo/etc, since parvo is so prominent in puppies (more so in puppy mill dogs). I otherwise think the puppy is/will be fine. Generally the recommended time they start each vx for puppies, is when the natural immunity starts to fade. That's why they don't ever give rabies vx's to puppy's before they turn 4 months old. (A) because it doesn't do anything when they've still got their natural immunity, and (B) because most are too small (don't weight enough) for it. On suuuper tiny dogs, some vets won't even do it till they're 6-7 months.

Anyways, super cute puppy! Wonderful job on his first schnauzer pattern!

Comment

One of the most difficult challenges for us when Wyatt was a pup was NOT taking him out for walks and showing him off before he was 4 months old. Up until then, I would carry him, ride him in the back of the truck, or in my bike basket, but them little paws never touched the ground anywhere there was a chance that other dogs had frequented. My vet told me that puppies do not have their complete immunity to parvo until after their third set of shots, and since parvo is absolutely everywhere in this area and so difficult and dangerous to treat, we took her advice.

At APM, although our release form states about a dozen different preventive vaccines that are "recommended", only rabies is required. And because rabies is not given until 4 months of age, we do not do pups under 16 weeks.
                Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness.
                George Sand (1804 - 1876)

Comment

Oh boy what a doll! Very nice job!
                  Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
                  www.ChrisSertzel.com

Comment

Really cute! As far as vax, I think he should be fine. I got my toy pup at 6wks, took her in to get her first set of shots, and took her into the groom shop everyday after. Never got sick once, and one time there was a dog that ended up having kennel cough.. we didnt realize. I was taking her for walks and petsmart at 3months. But she had access to outside un fenced yard since she was 6wks. I am not as worried.. maybe Im wrong, but havent had an issue with my two dogs. I think if the dam is exposed to a lot beore whelp then she will give her pups a strong immunity, that is a theory of course. My mini bitch for example was exposed(by me) to a lot when I got her.. shows, vets when we took her "big" sis in, petco, other people's houses, and dog training areas. She did get sick at a show about one by some stomach bug.. eventually so did her sister at another. Their Dam was only exposed to shows, and the yard.. minimally to the vet only when needed, the breeder's non animal work. So I dont think she was exposed to nearly as much as my dogs were. So I think my bitch had to build her immunity.
                    My mini bitch did build her immunity before she was pregnant, I did out of respect for my friends kennel(she raised the litter) stopped taking her anywhere after she was inseminated. SHe produced 3 beautiful pups, all healthy. Unfortunately a vet tech friend of hers that believed that germs are a dog's immunity best friend walked into the living room where my pups were after work. She exposed the dogs to god knows what.. my friend was PO'd but the pups were never affected. I think there was a case of parvo or something in that lady's clinic too. Sooo makes me wonder if the Dam is heavily exposed to a lot, will the pups be safe with the help of the mother's immunity...
                    Makes me wonder if the vets jump the gun.. my vet never told me to avoid exposure after my toy's first shots. Never said wait till she was 8wks or after the 3rd set... Besides how do you avoid exposure if you are in a vet waiting room exposed to so many other dogs.. yeah feet may not touch the ground but viruses do float around.. At least 3 times before the thrid set, and sometimes more if your pup has parasites...

Comment

very nice job you have done, i like it a lot!

Comment

The pup's groom looks good. He is way too big to be 3mo.
                        Don't get me started on vaccs and puppies and grooms though.
                        Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

He's adorable! I love schnauzer puppies!
                          www.gomobileandsucceed.com
                          http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Comment

Working...
                          X