Jazzy, my favorite scottie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jazzy, my favorite scottie

I'm no scottie expert, but I thought she turned out fairly pretty.

Tammy in Utah
    Attached Files
    Groomers Helper Affiliate

beautiful

I am no Scottie expert either. However I think that she looks beautiful!

Comment

She looks GREAT Tammy, but I'm no expert either. I haven't had 1 scottie come into my new shop yet. I love them, they're just too cute!! Nice groom!

Comment

Great job! I've only done one scottie since I moved from VA. It was old and fat and just got shaved down except the face, but I wish I took before and after pics...When she came in she was so hairy I thought she was a cairn!

Comment

Thanks for the pictures - looks great! I actually have 2 coming in tomorrow...I'm definitely not an expert since it seems they aren't that popular around here. What blade did you use on the back and head?

Comment

Originally posted by amysue2638 View Post
            Thanks for the pictures - looks great! I actually have 2 coming in tomorrow...I'm definitely not an expert since it seems they aren't that popular around here. What blade did you use on the back and head?
            Amysue, I use the clipper vac so I used a #4 with the regulator OPEN, but if I didn't use a clipper vac I prefer a #5 on the back of a scottie. I don't like them really short, in fact #4 without clipper vac is my favorite, but most owners like them shorter, so a #5.

Anyway, so #4 with the grain, clipper vac, regulator open. #4 reverse clipper vac on the head, #10 on the back of the ear (with the exception of a little bit on the innter backside of the ear, which I leave).

Leave rosettes in front of the ears, fold the ears (long ways, side to side) and thinning shear off the hair that sticks out too far. Trim beard and brows, feet, #3 on the tail, shorter underneath though, scissor like a carrot.

Tammy in Utah

Comment

Love the brindle, very pretty. I have a few scotties that come in. Not very popular around here.

Comment

Tammy...I like to use a 2 snap-on on their bodies,,,gives them a more natural look...but if clients say 'shorter', what's a groomer to do? So we go shorter too.

I would offer one suggestion. More hair off those ears. Nothing should be sticking out along the outside edge.
                Shave off all hair on the back of ear...10 blade.
                Fold ear down...tip of ear to top of skull, mark that with your finger, then shave inside of ear to that point. No hair should stick up past that line.

Then fold ear in half length-wise as you stated and trim hair.
                Let ear stand naturally, and then finish by angleing the tuft. Short at outside base of ear, to longer at inside edge of ear. (inside edge...nearest the center of skull)
                Tips I learned from Scott W. (I'm not going to spell his name right, so won't try. Big winner at grooming contests...I took class at seminar)

The Scottish Terrier Club of America has a great grooming guide...years ago it was free for the asking...probably costs money now, but worth it.

namaste...dogma

Comment

Dogma,

Thank you for the info, it is nice to know, especially because I've been "winging" it , lol.

AS you can tell from the photo, not too much hair on the outside of the ear, and it is shorter on the outside then toward the inside part of the ear, that I just do naturally, so I got lucky on that one.

One thing I have learned, though, is not to shave the ENTIRE backside of the ear, but almost all of it, with the exception of a small amount on the part closest to the head, if that makes sense (Notes From the Grooming Table).

Thank you again!

Tammy in Utah

Comment

Looks great Tammy.

I have a problem with Scotties.

It doesn't help that the one I had was not well behaved. I struggle most with the ear tufts.

I think she looks beautiful.

Comment

Thank you, Wisconsin. I don't groom a lot of scotties, but I love how cute they are when done. This little girl has quite the personality. She's a good girl with a naughty streak, but in a cute way.

Tammy in Utah

Comment

Loved the Scottied Tammy.
                        Love the brindle too. I have only done a couple of Scotties and that was when I was working at that other shop we both use to work at. Haven't done any here at home.
                        "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
                        Diane

Comment

I noticed tonite Westminster

I noticed tonite on Westminster dog show that those cute Norfolk. Norwich terriers and Cairn and even Borders do NOT have scruffy fur between eyes removed. I know they are hand stripped and Cairn are scruffy...love those faces. But owners would think we didn't do our job if we left fur there. AKC way looks kinda cute actually.I am terrier lover..Bichon cockapoo too. Oh < I"M just a dog lover really. Bedlingtons' ears really stripped of fur. Bet it is removed w/ Nair...not kidding!Noone could shave THAT close! coat didn't look plush...pink skin showing thru...looked like to me. couldn't stay awake...forced self. And duh..Mcfadden wins. He always wins.I woukld not be surprised if he wins Best in Show...wouldn't be the first time. Those handlers always grab the best dogs...or the judges think so.I knowit is over and taped..but I don't know the outcome yet.Hope on earlier tomorrow.

Comment

Very pretty job Spikey!! I love the way Scotties look, but I am not so enchanted w/the way they act during grooming....lol.... All of my clients have some pretty major attitude especially around their feet (where else!), it is hard to imagine them being boogers because they are so darn cute! BTW tell Spike I said congratulations on Yorkies being #2 on the top 10 list. Cockers are no where to be seen!!! hehehe
                            SheilaB from SC

Comment

Originally posted by sheilabgroomer View Post
                              Very pretty job Spikey!! I love the way Scotties look, but I am not so enchanted w/the way they act during grooming....lol.... All of my clients have some pretty major attitude especially around their feet (where else!), it is hard to imagine them being boogers because they are so darn cute! BTW tell Spike I said congratulations on Yorkies being #2 on the top 10 list. Cockers are no where to be seen!!! hehehe
                              = : O The blessed day has arrived. Cockers are not on the top 10 list. That means it can only be some other naughty dog---but without that dense coat! YES!!!

This scottie is quite the good girl. I really haven't groomed any naughty scotties, to be honest!

Tammy in Utah

Comment

Working...
                              X