Coton de Tulear and whitening shampoo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coton de Tulear and whitening shampoo

Hello, I have a 6 month old Coton de Tulear puppy that I am slowly teaching to accept brushing and baths and haircuts. He will never be a show dog, just a pet, so I plan to do some variation of a puppy cut. My initial question though is about shampoo. Right now my dogs get baths about once a month, depending how much dirt they roll in. I am using a basic cheap Top Paw (I think) whitening shampoo on the Coton. I started noticing last month that he was developing peach patches on his back, and this weekend after a trim and bath they were even more noticable. Now I don't care if he is all white or not, in fact he has had light peach ears from birth that are starting to fade. But it is not normal for the breed to develop new color patches after they are a month old. So out of curiosity I contacted my breeder, whom I have been in regular contact before and since I got my pup and who has always been knowledgeable and reliable, and she said that she has not run across it herself but that she has heard from other breeders that using a whitening shampoo on a Coton cause cause the appearance of color patches. Hunh? I am completely confused by this and now I want to know more. Why would a whitening product cause the appearance of color? Has anyone ever heard of this? Is it a chemical reaction and I need better shampoo, or just not bother with whitening shampoo? Is it breed specific, or do other white dogs have this? The only reason I am using that shampoo is cause I had half a bottle left from bathing our Maltese that passed away early this year.

First pic is from a few weeks ago when the patches were not apparent, second is a post trim and bath sploot from this weekend.

Thank you!

Click image for larger version

Name:	DoolinBefore.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	1139880Click image for larger version

Name:	DoolinAfter.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	1139881

It could be a reaction to the shampoo. Some whitening shampoos contain a bluing agent. Sensitive skin dogs could have a reaction to that. Plus, your shampoo is not new (and a cheaper one). I've used Bio-Groom Super White on many client dogs and my own parti-color show cockers and have never seen any kind of reaction-even on sensitive, allergy prone pets. Or, it may just be the color of the dog. They are, according to the breed standard, allowed 5 % of a light tan color when adult. I'm thinking this color will fade with time, but do try a different shampoo. Bio-Groom would be my choice and it's also tearless.
    Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

Thank you for the info. I don't really care if he has peachy patches, I just know it is not normal for them to start appearing at his age. I'll look into that shampoo, it could very well be that he has sensitive skin. I live in a very dry and high allergen area, even my indoor only cat has seasonal pollen allergies. I used to use an oatmeal conditioner on the Maltese to reduce his itching, I never really thought about it being the shampoo, I always assumed it was because he was old with thin dryish skin. Would you also recommend other products from the same brand? My other dog is a salt and pepper Mini Schnauzer, so definitely not a candidate for white shampoo. And I know the Coton will be transitioning from puppy coat to adult coat in the next few months, so I interested in planning ahead for detangling. Thank you.

Comment

Have had several Coton and Maltese client dogs who seemed dingy after using whitening shampoos ( Double K). Switched to a Chubbs bar for about 3 months and dinginess eased. Switched to Isle of Dog whitening shampoo and conditioner and dogs are all glistening again. Could be he product or could be a build up on the coat, just like people.

Comment

Every single coton I groom has developed darker patches as they got older. Josie for example has them, and they are getting bigger. She's 10. They started 2 years ago. If he had peachy ear tios he will develop more as time goes along and thise spots are that color showing up more as adult coat changes occur.
          <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Btw, the patches are visible in the first photo except for the fact that the puppy hair is covering it. There are darker spots. When you cut the puppy hair away you uncovered it. Happens to other breeds as well. Their spots become very very visible after a shorter haircut.
            <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback. As I said before, I don't intend to show him so I don't care if he has coloring. I just want to be sure I am doing anything to harm him, which was my concern when I was told that the patches could be caused by the type of shampoo. He has been itching a lot so I probably will get a better shampoo and conditioner for him. See if that helps him itch less and see if it does make any sort of difference in the patches. It is just abnormal to see color develop where none existed before at this age. The attached pic is the day I brought him home a 10 weeks old, you can see his ears have peach which has since faded a lot, but there is no sign of color anywhere else, nor was any apparent after his first haircut a couple months ago.
              Attached Files

Comment

The brightening shampoo actually would be ok for the schnauzer as well, if you do want to finish using it up. The blue would counteract any yellowing and really make the "salt" in his coat sparkle

Comment

Hi,

Cotons are not truly entirely white dogs. It really 50/50 whether they are white or marked at birth, and while they typically fade to an "all white appearance", cream/apricot ears, and a marking on the lower back are traits typical of the Coton. These are genetically present, and go hand in hand with good pigmentation, which is essential for a healthy white dog.

If you are concerned about staining and discolouration of the face/feet/underbelly, there are great and safe whitening products available. Markings are markings though.

Comment

At this age, with his markings, a whitening shampoo would make his white appear whiter, and the markings to appear brighter/more vivid.

Comment

Working...
                    X