Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blingwithfur
    replied
    Has anyone tried a perfume free shampoo to see if that even helped a little?

Leave a comment:

• kaida714
    replied
    Agreed. Over-excitement can turn aggressive very quickly. A dog not smelling the same is a huge deal for another dog. I have seen family dogs play hard on their way out of a grooming session and sometimes try to dominate and/or fight each other. Hard to say exactly what you are experiencing based on the post, but I have seen this many times amd it usually settles down, or you need to let the dogs run off some steam as soon as one gets back from the groomer. Consider a dog trainer if it continues.

Leave a comment:

• cockerlvr
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucha View Post
    My whole life growing up, when one of our dogs would come home from grooming, it and our other dogs who stayed home would act hostile towards eachother. I now groom and have seen lots of times when a groomed pet is reunited with it's housemates there is some over excitement which can turn aggressive. I think it has a lot to do with the new smells all over confusing them. Things usually settle down shortly. If your dog approached the other one who just got groomed right when it came in the door, sniffing and following it around, I could easily see an already on edge dog, who's probably had a long day, going after it in an intense moment of oversensitivity.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
    ^^ this

Leave a comment:

• Lucha
    replied
    My whole life growing up, when one of our dogs would come home from grooming, it and our other dogs who stayed home would act hostile towards eachother. I now groom and have seen lots of times when a groomed pet is reunited with it's housemates there is some over excitement which can turn aggressive. I think it has a lot to do with the new smells all over confusing them. Things usually settle down shortly. If your dog approached the other one who just got groomed right when it came in the door, sniffing and following it around, I could easily see an already on edge dog, who's probably had a long day, going after it in an intense moment of oversensitivity.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Hucksmom
    replied
    Cockers can be funny little dogs at the best of times. Our guy, while always happy to see his big dogs, hated every other big dog everywhere!! Not sure what set him off, was just about anything really. When I would groom him, he would get all cuddly for a day or two, then on a spur of the moment, turn into cujo with our big dogs. I have since rehomed him, to a nice elderly couple with no other pets. I still see him for grooming, and they say he is very sweet(all by himself).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Emma123
    replied
    I groom cats, not dogs. With cats, sometimes a cat will even attack another cat if the cat has just been groomed. My guess is that the cat smells different. This behavior wears off in a day or two. You're writing that the dog who was groomed is the aggressive one, but he could be reacting to something subtle the other dog is doing.
    Anything else changed? Food bowls moved? Visitors in the home? Cat outside the home who might be peering in the door?
    Is your dog an old dog? He could be experiencing vision or hearing loss, which might make him feel vulnerable. Could also be a bad tooth ache. If the behavior doesn't stop, maybe a trip to the vet for a check up just in case. Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• Moses
    replied
    Agreed. I am reminded Of a time when I groomed 2 weenies. They were best buds. Crated together and all. Separated them for finishing and sprayed with 2 different colognes. Well I took them out to owner and only got 1/2 way. One of them tore into the other one. Next time i used same cologne for both and they had no problem. As Dragyn said there are many variables and it is hard to say what aggravated your cocker.

Leave a comment:

• Dragynwing
    replied
    How long has this been going on? Has the cocker been groomed before? Was it the same salon? Have there been any changes in your house recently? I recommend speaking with a local dog trainer. There are so many variables that I don't think we can offer any real informed insight online. Sure, something could have set him off at the groomers but it could be any number of things that may or may not be related to the grooming.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Erica124
    started a topic Behavior change after grooming

Behavior change after grooming

My cocker spaniel was groomed an when he came home his behavior towards our other dog changed. He became very aggressive for no reason. Can this be from the grooming experience? Please help
Working...
X