X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Local Veterinarian Treats Pets on Her Hands and Knees

https://www.dailylocal.com/news/loca...1a591c2db.html

EAST BRADFORD—Veterinarian Meghan McGrath does it a little differently.

The seven-week owner of East Bradford Veterinary Hospital, tucked away at 712 W. Nields St., uses tables only to hold things.

Instead, she visits with dogs, cats and exotic animals directly on the floor.

McGrath said that her “style” keeps animals from being terrified on a table. It’s also safer since no pet can jump.

“I can see movement,” she said. “They are not stiff and rigid and are a little bit less nervous and rather relaxed.”

During a visit to the hospital, a Disney animal show depicting bear cubs was playing on the large flat screen television in the waiting room and there were appropriate sayings posted around the room.

“Life is just better when I’m with my dog,” “Love is a four-legged word,” and “Legalize catnip,” are pasted on the walls.

The hospital hosts a full pharmacy, full lab with blood tests able to be read quickly, and the office is completely paperless to make the hospital as “environmentally aware as possible.”

McGrath is the sole vet and works with two full-time and two part-time employees.

There is room for boarders and a separate room for grooming.

Employee Megan Anderson is a groomer and behavioral therapist.

She sees one pet at time, which reduces anxiety. A ramp entrance to the bath eases the tension joints when getting wet.

Anderson uses T-touch to address pressure points and massage.

A digital X-ray machine in the spick-and-span hospital provides immediate and quality results.

A full surgical unit can monitor and influence an animal’s temperature for those undergoing anesthesia.

McGrath learned how to care for and treat exotics at University of Pennsylvania Veterinary School.

She treats birds, rabbits and hamsters (small fuzzies or pocket pets), lizards, turtles and snakes.

“Exotics are underrated when it comes to personalities,” she said. “Every animal has their own style, but like a human they are playful, kind and you can form an attachment.”

McGrath said that for both a bearded dragon from Australia and an Eastern painted turtle from the United States, most sicknesses are caused by environment.

The king of the hospital is “Mr. Pierre,” a gray longhair who serves as the office cat. The 15-year-old will keep close by sick animals and keeps an eye on the office.

McGrath was a chemist working on a doctorate, but was looking for something different.

“One day in the lab I wondered if I wanted to do lab work for the rest of my life, but I love science.

“I did some soul searching and volunteered at a vet hospital to see if I liked it. I fell in love immediately.”

She said she always had dreamed about opening her own hospital—“A gentle, kind, family oriented experience and become a part of every family’s life.”

Several staffers worked together for six years at Main Line Animal Rescue.

“My job as a vet is to provide medical service and then give the information to the owners so we can make the best decision together as a team.”..............
    Coordinators post updates to the message for grooming events, members contests, PG.com Classified Ads, GroomerTALK Radio shows and PG.com Magazine online.
Working...
X