X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life is Filled with Pets

http://www.messenger-inquirer.com/fe...20406c889.html

When Ashley Coomes was growing up, she wanted a big dog.

"But my parents would only let me have a Shih Tzu," she said. "As soon as I was on my own, I got a Great Dane. Now, I have four Great Danes, a Bichon and a miniature poodle."

And that's just at home.

These days, Coomes, owner of The Dapper Dog, spends her days with an average of 30 dogs a day -- plus assorted cats.

The Dapper Dog, which opened in 2016 at 3238 Kidron Valley Way, is an all-breed grooming salon, which offers doggie daycare, pet boarding, dog training and a self-wash station where people can wash their own pets.

In June, readers of the Messenger-Inquirer named it their favorite grooming and boarding salon and rated it in third place as a pet store.

"The award is pretty awesome for myself and my team," Coomes said.

She has 12 employees today.

"I've worked with animals since I was 16," Coomes said. "I've been grooming them since 2010 and I'm now a nationally certified master groomer."

She estimates that there's an average of one to two dogs per household in Daviess County.

And the U.S. Census Bureau estimates that there are a little over 43,000 houses in the county.

That's a lot of potential customers.

Pet owners know that there are a couple of pet chores that can be very difficult -- trimming dogs' nails and bathing cats.

"With dogs, you have to start trimming their nails when they're babies," Coomes said. "They have to get used to it."

And bathing cats?

"Cats hate the sound of running water," Coomes said. "It's not the water itself that bothers them. It's the sound.".....................
    Coordinators post updates to the message for grooming events, members contests, PG.com Classified Ads, GroomerTALK Radio shows and PG.com Magazine online.
Working...
X