Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Are Dogs Dying After Grooming (NJ.com)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Are Dogs Dying After Grooming (NJ.com)

https://lmtribune.com/pets/why-are-d...14dbc460d.html

Over the past decade 47 dogs have died across the U.S. during grooming, or within days of showing signs of ill health after grooming, at the nation’s leading pet retailer, a New Jersey news organization reports, though what the numbers mean is uncertain.

NJ.com said that its count is based on reports by PetSmart customers in 14 states, and said it is not definitive because there is little public accounting of such deaths, and no state requires all individual groomers to be licensed.

PetSmart does millions of groomings a year, so the deaths cited represent only a tiny fraction of the pets it works with..............
    Coordinators post updates to the message for grooming events, members contests, PG.com Classified Ads, GroomerTALK Radio shows and PG.com Magazine online.

Response to similar articles - unfair to PetSmart groomers

https://www.cleveland.com/letters/in...oomers_le.html
    Coordinators post updates to the message for grooming events, members contests, PG.com Classified Ads, GroomerTALK Radio shows and PG.com Magazine online.

Comment

Okay.. 47 dogs over 10 years dying after being groomed does not seem like a trend to me at all. So many questions.. like age of dog, state of health of dog need to be asked. Even if Petsmart only have 47 dogs die in 10 years after being groomed, that does not mean that Petsmart is responsible for the deaths of these dogs (unless it's clear) and according to what is stated above.. these are reports by customers.

I feel like it's a real bashing of our industry frankly to even write a report like this without some hard based facts.

My first lab.. she was 15 1/2 and really going down hill. She was eating, but she was on day to day. Well, the Monday before the Sat that she died, did that make sense? Okay, so Mon I noticed she had a horrible skin infection on her back. I mean.. it was shocking that it cropped up so quickly. She always had a perfect skin and coat. So I shaved her back and it was not good. And I said to myself.. "Eh this'll probably kill her." I gave her a bath, put some medication on her.. panicked on Wed so I took her to the vet. And that did it. She was so stressed, that dog always hated the vet anyway.. He prescribed some abx.. and on Thur she stopped eating. Fri she ate a bit, on Sat morning she died. So, what if I had taken her to another groomer and I wasn't a groomer? I sometimes feel like we are ****** if we do and ****** if we don't. (asterisks are mine)

The cosmetology industry has similar problems with elderly ladies and strokes because of those stupid sinks. It's called Beauty Parlor Stroke Syndrome and I know a lady who it happened to!
      Debbie
      There's always room for another rose in the garden.

Comment

Working...
      X