X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dog Groomer Opens New Shop

http://www.rockymounttelegram.com/Ne...-new-shop.html

TARBORO — A woman with years of experience working in a veterinary clinic and grooming pets has decided to go on her own and start a niche business geared toward dog owners in the Twin Counties.

Susannah Davis, 39, is the owner of Bark Avenue Dog Grooming at 2208 St. Andrew St. in Tarboro, which opened Aug. 12. Davis, who refers to herself as a professional dog groomer on her business cards, offers a variety of grooming services, including baths, haircuts, hair dyes, ear cleanings, nail painting and toe-nail trimming.

“I do everything that involves grooming a pet,” Davis said. “It doesn’t have to be a long-haired pet, but it can be a regular short-haired dog. It’s just a better quality job than doing it at home.”

Davis said she has been a dog groomer for 15 years, while having worked for a veterinarian that taught her how to groom dogs at Live Oak Veterinary Hospital in Beaufort near the beach.

“I just had a very good knack for it and it just went from there,” she said.

Davis underwent back surgery at one point in her life and was out of work for a few years. Davis feared she could never do grooming again. She had to have a walker to get around for about a year. As her condition improved, Davis went back to work on a part-time basis, which gave her the confidence she could go back doing grooming.

With her growing up in Scotland Neck, Davis wanted to use her skills, talent and experience to start a dog grooming business in the area and thought Tarboro was the right area for her new business venture.

“I knew Tarboro only had one other groomer in town, and it’s a growing area,” she said. “I feel it’s a need for it because unlike Rocky Mount, we don’t have the big businesses like a PetSmart. Also, a lot of the dog corporations are all about seeing how many and how fast they can get dogs in and out as possible. It’s all about how much money they can make. I’m more about quality, not quantity. I want to be proud of what walks out of the door.”

Davis said there was a lot of remodeling work to turn her spot into a pet grooming service, but she enjoys her location because of it being in a good traffic area near some retail and restaurants in town.

Several people have brought their dogs to be groomed since Davis opened. She said there are many other people who call after they ride by and see the sign to find out about her services or will stop in to check out how the inside of the building looks.

“I know if a lot of people are crazy about their dogs like I am, then hopefully they will give me a try,” Davis said. “It’s a trust thing because a lot of people don’t want to just bring and drop off their dog with anybody, so I want the owner and the pet to be comfortable when they come here. I’m not about doing the quickest job because I want to take my time because I want to get to know the pet. My satisfaction is the expression on that owner’s face when they come by to pick up their dog and see the results of what has been done.”

Davis asks people who are looking for grooming services at Bark Avenue to schedule an appointment, but walk-ins are welcome. Prices for services vary. Bark Avenue is open from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday.
    Coordinators post updates to the message for grooming events, members contests, PG.com Classified Ads, GroomerTALK Radio shows and PG.com Magazine online.
Working...
X