X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spa Day for Fido? Why Not

https://www.stalbertgazette.com/arti...trend-20180907

“I’ve met people who say, ‘It’s just a dog,’ and I don’t agree with that. Maybe they just haven’t loved a dog the way that I have. I don’t know how someone could have a pet and not see it as a family member.”

Tober operates a doggy daycare out of her home called Tober and Tails Pet Care. On top of that, she’s also a mother of three and owner of two chihuahuas and a border collie mix. Needless to say, there’s never a dull moment in the Tober household.

Today, more and more people treat their pets as legitimate family members. These fur babies are being pampered in a way that pets of the past could only dream about. From pet apparel to social media profiles, there seems to be no limit on the time and money people are willing to spend on pets.

It’s called, “the millennial way of doing things.” Or so says a study by Wakefield Research, an independent market researcher, that claims the millennial approach to pet ownership is becoming the majority view. But what defines this approach? And how does this transfer into the treatment of pets today?

Millennial mentality
    In 2014, Wakefield studied the different consumer behaviours and psychologies between millennials and baby boomers. But when revisiting the study in 2017 they found “boomers were beginning to mimic their younger counterparts, especially in regards to their pets.”

According to Wakefield, millennials (typically categorized as people born in the early 1980s to the mid-1990s) are irrational, conscientious and exhibitionist consumers.

Irrational consumers place more value on non-essential items. In this sense, “irrational” doesn’t refer to a state of mind, but a willingness to spend money on an item that isn’t a life necessity. For instance, millennials in this study spent considerably more money on apparel than other groups. It also said they were more likely to “splurge on purchases for their pets.”

Conscientious consumers think not only about the price of an item, but also the origin of the item and its impact on the growth, development and mood of their pets. For example, the Wakefield study showed an overwhelming 86 per cent of millennials felt that “natural food was essential.”
    Coordinators post updates to the message for grooming events, members contests, PG.com Classified Ads, GroomerTALK Radio shows and PG.com Magazine online.
Working...
X