X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rags to Riches 2018 Winner Makes the News

She is a mobile groomer.

http://www.westsideconnect.com/santa...5ef69b7ba.html

SANTA NELLA - A local dog groomer recently earned top honors in a nationwide contest.

Erika Topete topped a field of 146 entries nationwide to take first place in the 2018 Rags to Riches grooming contest, conducted by Double K Industries in conjunction with Petgroomer.com.

Topete has transformed a personal interest in grooming into a thriving business since starting in 2011.

She was initially self-taught, learning how to groom her own dogs - three Schnauzers.

“My neighbors started asking me if I could do their dogs, and I started putting out flyers,” Topete shared. “I got started there.”

Business took off about five years ago, when Topete and her family moved into their current Santa Nella home.

Topete converted the entire garage and side yard into a business, and more recently added a mobile grooming service.

Along the way, she attended a four-month school in San Jose, regularly goes to expos and seminars to further hone her skills, and networks with other groomers.

“You don’t stop learning,” Topete emphasized.

Her specialty, she told Mattos Newspapers, is grooming to mask any structural flaws that a dog may have.

Doing so, Topete said, requires knowing the ideal structure of each breed.

A groomer, she added, must also be well-versed in knowing the products they use and in the basic handling of the dog.

“The most important thing is to know how to bathe and dry the dog. If you don’t do that (correctly) the grooming will not be effective,” Topete explained..........
    Coordinators post updates to the message for grooming events, members contests, PG.com Classified Ads, GroomerTALK Radio shows and PG.com Magazine online.
Working...
X