X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Groomers Open Southern Paws Salon

http://wilsontimes.com/stories/groom...t-salon,137771

Since Kristin Owens and Heather Nance became coworkers about three years ago, they had dreamed of opening their own grooming business. Now that dream has come true.

“Back when we worked together, we’d always say things like, ‘When I open a salon, I’ll do this or that,’” said Owens, a co-owner of Southern Paws.

“We both wanted to open our own salons, but we didn’t think it would be this soon,” said co-owner Nance.

“Everything fell into place when we found this location,” Owens concluded.

Southern Paws opened July 5 and has grown a loyal following of pet owners who appreciate the one-on-one care its owners provide.

“When a dog comes in, they get started within about 15 minutes and usually we finish with them in one shot, so they rarely go in kennels,” said Owens, 34. “Usually a single dog is in and out within about two hours, not eight hours like at other places where pets have to sit in a kennel and listen to the barking of a bunch of other dogs.

“Because we schedule one-on-one appointments, we’re not stressed out trying to groom a bunch of dogs and it is less stressful on the dogs.”

Services range from a bath to full grooming for dogs of all sizes as well as shaving and nail trim for cats with appointments available from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. every day but Sundays at 2000 Nash St. N. The 1,600-square-foot building used to house Signs Now before the business merged with the Rocky Mount office and was several banks before that. All animals are required to be vaccinated for rabies, but the duo also recommends bordetella, distemper and parvo immunizations.

“I like the artistic part of grooming, but also enjoy the immediate gratification when a dog comes in looking raggedy, but we clean them up and they look better, but you can tell they also feel better,” Owens said. “A lot of dog parents will come in and say their pet is anxious or something, but they do so much better in this environment with the individual appointments.”

Owens has lived in Wilson since 2010, but the mom of four has been a groomer for about 11 years after doing an apprenticeship with a Fayetteville groomer. Nance, a 39-year-old mother of three, worked in child care for 15 years before working as a pet bather, then apprenticing to become a groomer nearly 18 months ago.

“I’ve always loved animals and I’ve fostered dogs for years and wanted to work with them,” Nance said. “When I was a bather, I was pretty good, so I was offered to learn to groom and I loved it. I was finally doing something I felt comfortable doing and enjoyed.”

For more information, visit tinyurl.com/y82eauml and to schedule an appointment, call 252-292-8498.

EXTRA! EXTRA!

The Wilson Chamber of Commerce is partnering two of its most successful programs together for an extended lunch on Aug. 24 that educates as well as engages.

The chamber’s Accelerated Networking Luncheon will take place at noon, followed by the Chamber 101 program that covers the gamut of chamber services for existing or prospective members. Attendees will receive lunch and have the opportunity to meet chamber leadership as well as other business owners.
    Coordinators post updates to the message for grooming events, members contests, PG.com Classified Ads, GroomerTALK Radio shows and PG.com Magazine online.
Working...
X