X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Groomer's Advice: Don't Buy Pet Store Puppy

http://tucson.com/news/opinion/colum...c2052f6cd.html

If you’re looking into buying a pet for Christmas, please do not purchase one from a pet store or from an online puppy retailer.

Nearly 100 percent of puppies sold in pet stores are from puppy mills or high-volume substandard puppy factories (that information is from Elizabeth Oreck, National Manager, Best Friends Puppy Mill Initiative.)

Profit and maximum productivity take priority over the health and welfare of the animals. These breeding facilities are licensed by the USDA, but the breeders need only to provide minimum care.

The cage needs to be only 6 inches greater than the length of their bodies, the dogs stand on open wire mesh 24/7 in deplorable and inhumane conditions, and the “breeding stock” are forced to get pregnant at every heat cycle.

Veterinary care is little to none.

While our pet dogs are considered “companion animals,” dogs living in USDA facilities are considered “livestock” and it’s legal for them to be treated like livestock. They are a commodity like cattle or pigs..............
    Coordinators post updates to the message for grooming events, members contests, PG.com Classified Ads, GroomerTALK Radio shows and PG.com Magazine online.

We have a groomer in town always advertising puppies and cats on her street sign, never a grooming promotion. UGH

Comment

Not every puppy breeder (wven large scale ones) do this....it makes me SAD to see them lumped into this category. Its not fair.
      <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Particentral View Post
        Not every puppy breeder (wven large scale ones) do this....it makes me SAD to see them lumped into this category. Its not fair.
        True, much as I am not fond of commercial or high volume breeding, some of them have setups that many show breeders would be envious of.

Comment

Working...
        X