X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pet Service Tax in Rhode Island Costs Business Owners

http://turnto10.com/news/local/pet-s...usiness-owners

(Note: Customers refuse to pay so the groomer has to pay on their behalf).

EAST PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WJAR) — A push to repeal a tax that brings in about $2 million per year is gaining steam in Rhode Island.

The Senate Finance Committee is set to review a new bill to strike out the pet service tax from state law.

The 7 percent tax for dog grooming, boarding, as well as training, was written into law in 2012 with a promise that it would be temporary.

Business owners told NBC 10 News it's time lawmakers stay true to their word.

"It's a strain on me," Lisa Aguiar, who owns Heaven Scent Grooming in East Providence.

Aguiar said nearly four years of the pet service tax has been a burden. She fought against it when it was first proposed, and now she's literally paying the price for its passage.

"I still have clients that will refuse to pay $2.66 (in taxes). I just put it in for them. They just don't want to pay it in pet grooming. They just don't want to pay it," Aguiar said. "I do the best I can. I tell them what the law is -- that it's a 7 percent tax, but if they don't pay it, I have to absorb it."..............
    Coordinators post updates to the message for grooming events, members contests, PG.com Classified Ads, GroomerTALK Radio shows and PG.com Magazine online.
Working...
X