X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jacksonville Pet Owner Angry with Pet Groomer

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/l...storyid=156074

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Sia is an 11-month-old black Persian cat and her owner is Sheri Soleymani. "This is my baby," said Soleymani.

Earlier this month, Soleymani took Sia to the Pet World on San Jose Boulevard to see the groomer. She had done it before, but this time she regrets it.

"The lady who did the grooming did not come out to explain to us what happened," Soleymani said. Sia was in for a 'Lion Cut' and he was cut three places on his body - the cut on his elbow required three sutures.

"They said it was a scrape. This is no scrape!" said Soleymani.

The groomer, Melissa Spinks, called it a mistake and apologized.

"We make mistakes, but I try to do what is best for the pet and the pet owner," said Spinks.

She waived the $65 pet grooming fee, but Soleymani said this is not about the money. The owner of Pet World said they are willing to reimburse Soleymani's costs for the vet treatment if the vet sends the store a certified letter.

Soleymani said she plans to file a complaint with the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation.

Pet groomers are not required to have a state license, but the store does since it sells pets.

OMG

I am still in shock everytime I see the news actually make a story out of something like this.

Totally inappropriate and unecessary unless a business has tons of complaints.

People need to get a grip on reality and hopefully this business at least has people sign waivers about cats and matting and the chances of nicks and cuts.

Comment

That's not good. I think it's pretty easy to tell a scrape from a cut. If that happened in my shop I would have called the owner, told her the cat needed to go to the vet because I cut it and given her the option of me taking the cat to the vet right then and there, or she taking it to her own vet. I would not require a certified letter from the vet in order to reimburse the bill. Just bring me a copy and I will write a check.

Comment

Sounds like the groomer had an accident and tried to make it right by paying for the bill. If she were a "licensed groomer" she would be facing penalties above and beyond paying for the vet bill..... and/or losing her license to groom. She would have to employ the cost of legal advice to save her career or business as the result of a client complaint even if that complaint was vindictive or unreasonable. If the groomer were employed by someone else and an accident occurs does it remain on her "record" and would that hurt her chances of getting a job in the future? Unfortunately, there are people happy to put others out of business just because they like to feel powerful and there might be some money in it for them.
        Last edited by MydogMissy; 05-15-10, 05:03 PM. Reason: clarification
        A Light exists in Spring, Not present on the Year, At any other period -- When March is scarcely here...~~ Emily Dickensen~~

Comment

Well, I am sorry- it happens. And the groomer is trying to reimburse and follow thru with the owner. 3 cuts is a bit much,,but who knows the whole story,,there's always times when bad things happen and there could possibly have been ways to avoid it. I am not one to judge, and any one of us could be caught up in having a client take their complaint to the media like this, so I can put myself in this groomer's shoes and not judge. I also only know the side that was written in the article, but I'd say there's a good chance that this is your typical case of media hype; the cat WILL be alright, the groomer likely feels awful, and considering that this isn't just blatant abuse or neglectful care that resulted in serious injury, and that the owner was just left hanging for follow up care,,I'd say chalk it up to learning more safe handling techniques and work on your confidence for when to call a groom quits, and try not to do it again.
          Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
          www.ChrisSertzel.com

Comment

The groomer did the right thing

I saw no pictures of the injuries ,sometimes pet owner over react of a little cut.it happens. and how was the cat when it came in the shop
            and 65.oo to lion cut a cat,that's very very cheap
            click on the article and read the comments;there kinda funny like this one:

cookieduster wrote:
            We're talking pets here folks, not kids. Pets have fur and hair..leave it alone, they were born that way. If you don't like the fur, don't buy it.
            5/14/2010 9:50 PM EDT on firstcoastnews.com
            Recommend (3)

Comment

Exactly why you can't pay me enough to put clippers on a cat. Their skin keeps tearing way too easily if they get cut.

Lisa

Comment

Even teeny tiny cuts on cat skin look horrible, and they stretch and spread. Their skin is like that, it tears. Cuts sometimes happen, even to the most careful groomer. I don't know the groomer or the cat, so thats all i can say on the subject

Comment

After reading some of the replies to the story according to the son of the woman who owned the cat. The pet shop refused to pay the bill without a certified letter from the vet although a letter and bills from the vet were presented and that's when they went to the media.

If that is indeed the truth I would also be upset as the pets owner all I ever want from any professional who makes a boo boo is to take ownership of it and do what is right without turning it into a big hassle.

Accidents can and do happen and that's what we have insurance for. Delaying the obvious or making a customer jump through hopes to get a legitimate bill paid is not good business practice IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Dog Daze View Post
                    After reading some of the replies to the story according to the son of the woman who owned the cat. The pet shop refused to pay the bill without a certified letter from the vet although a letter and bills from the vet were presented and that's when they went to the media.

If that is indeed the truth I would also be upset as the pets owner all I ever want from any professional who makes a boo boo is to take ownership of it and do what is right without turning it into a big hassle.

Accidents can and do happen and that's what we have insurance for. Delaying the obvious or making a customer jump through hopes to get a legitimate bill paid is not good business practice IMO.
                    Some insurance companies. Require letters or receipts before they'll cut a check

Comment

Well. Working this exact area that the place in question is.... I will say I AM NOT SURPRISED since they are running a school out of there.
                      The ocean is a desert with it's life underground and the perfect disguise above><((((؛>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((؛>¸.
                      ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((؛>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((؛>

Comment

Originally posted by MydogMissy View Post
                        Sounds like the groomer had an accident and tried to make it right by paying for the bill. If she were a "licensed groomer" she would be facing penalties above and beyond paying for the vet bill..... and/or losing her license to groom. She would have to employ the cost of legal advice to save her career or business as the result of a client complaint even if that complaint was vindictive or unreasonable. If the groomer were employed by someone else and an accident occurs does it remain on her "record" and would that hurt her chances of getting a job in the future? Unfortunately, there are people happy to put others out of business just because they like to feel powerful and there might be some money in it for them.
                        Beautifully written!
                        "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
                        People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

Originally posted by pinkgroomer View Post
                          Some insurance companies. Require letters or receipts before they'll cut a check
                          Thanks I learn something new everyday. Guess you always need to know both sides of the story.

Comment

Originally posted by Dog Daze View Post
                            Thanks I learn something new everyday. Guess you always need to know both sides of the story.
                            No. problem i don't know if all of them do

Comment

This comment made by her son, Dr. (yes, DOCTOR) Sasan Soleymani is really creepy. Even creepier than the entire family trying to string the poor groomer up by her heels:
                              ".WHY DONT I GRAB UR DAUGHTER OR WHAT EVER U CALL HAVING AND GIVE HER A HAIR CUT AND SNIP HALF HER EAR OFF THEN ILL SEE IF U FILE A COMPLAINT,AND FOR THE PEOPLE WHO DONT REALLY KNOW THE STORY PLS KEEP UR COMMENTS TO UR SELF.THANK U SASAN SOLEYMANI!"
                              It makes my blood cold to read that. If anything happens to the groomer we already have a suspect.
                              "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
                              People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Comment

Working...
                              X