This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Gothic' US groomer sentenced

A Pennsylvania woman convicted of animal cruelty for marketing "gothic kittens" with ear and neck piercings has been sentenced to six months of house arrest.

Luzerne County Judge Tina Polachek Gartley also ordered 35-year-old Holly Crawford to close her dog grooming business for more than two years.

Prosecutors alleged that Crawford pierced three black kittens because "she thought it was neat" to sell gothic kittens on the internet.
    Most questions regarding GroomerTALK are answered in the Board Help Talk Forum. Thanks for coming to our community a part of PetGroomer.com https://www.petgroomer.com.

Bummer for her that she has to close her dog grooming busines for two years.

Guess we should watch where we go with creativeness.

Although a tad extreme for most piercing animals. Personally I don't see it being any more cruel than ear cropping, tail docking, microchipping which are all personnel choices.

Comment

I've not modified my animals other than mandatory spaying and neutering everything I can, but as our pets came to us as adoptees and rescues, and a ongoing march in and out of foster dogs, many have been altered with tail docking and ear cropping. That's done without even a thought by most people, and yet piercing is cruel? I think the lady was nailed (no pun intended) because of the word "goth" attached to the case. People likely judged it sociologically. It's also possible that her piercings were really worse than we imagine. A 2 year forced closure of her business is a tough sentence, so I wonder if she made a mess of the kittens.

My position is that I'm against any piercings on pets for practical and health reasons, as piercings on pets will surely get caught on things and rip out.

Originally posted by Dog Daze View Post
      Bummer for her that she has to close her dog grooming busines for two years.

Guess we should watch where we go with creativeness.

Although a tad extreme for most piercing animals. Personally I don't see it being any more cruel than ear cropping, tail docking, microchipping which are all personnel choices.

Comment

\Although a tad extreme for most piercing animals. Personally I don't see it being any more cruel than ear cropping, tail docking, microchipping which are all personnel choices.
        that's what i was thinking also...other than the risk of it being torn out are very high, and i don't agree with it..it's the same as cropping ears....

Comment

I certainly wouldn't condone piercing of animals in this manner but the sentence seems unfair unless she had some other kind of record or warning I'm not aware of. I think a fine and maybe community service in a shelter would be more than a just sentence.

Comment

That sucks

Microchipping uses a bigger needle than piercings... I had a client (who was a bit strange) who had four chihuahuas with earings.

Comment

Personally I don't see it being any more cruel than ear cropping, tail docking, microchipping which are all personnel choices.
              I wouldn't have included microchipping in that list. Especially since most owners microchip a dog for the pet's protection, not for VANITY. Most of my pets were even microchipped while they were asleep when they were fixed. Even my pet tortoise is microchipped (though he wasn't asleep for it).

What that lady did to the animals makes me sick to my stomach. If her sentence had been up to me, it would have been much harsher.
              "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Comment

It's early, and I may be remembering wrong, but I do believe at least in one of the kittens they kept ripping the piercings out and she just kept re-doing it so she could make money. I also thought I read that the one pierced by the base of it's tail got a nasty infection.

I think she got off WAY too easy and I guess she's lucky I wasn't the one deciding her fate.
                What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Comment

There is something seriously wrong with a system where someone that pierces an ear gets charged with animal cruelty and is required to shut down a grooming buisness, yet an owner who treats a dog like the one Canopener Sally just rescued gets off with no discipline at all.

The priorities in this country are seriously messed up.

We don't need to turn this into yet another cropping/docking debate. It's pretty difficult for the anti side to prove cruelty just as it's pretty difficult for those that are for it to prove it is for anything other than tradition/vanity. I'm not against docking newborn puppies just as I am not against docking an injured tail, or even docking a tail to prevent injury in a dog that is prone to it. I'm not against cropping ears when it is done property through a vet and have no issues with the taping/posting that may be required to make the ears stand. Done correctly, it can indeed be a positive experience for a puppy and does not have to have any ongoing issue for the dog.

Certainly I am against any laws that prohibit it, just as I am against any laws that require spay/neuter. I have no issue with laws that require rabies, confinement and anti-dangerous dog as those issues affect human safety, but everything else should be at the option of the pet owner as their pet is their property. I am for laws that allow prosecution of real animal cruelty/neglect. I do not believe the government has any business in our daily lives with our pets and I certainly don't believe the government should be wasting money trying to enforce such rules.

Comment

okay I am from the country and used to have and live around cattle. they tag pigs cattle and Ive seen branding and other stuff. they use huge tags and such and no one ever said anything about it where I am from. I dont know just saying.

Comment

Tail docking, ear cropping and microchipping are done by the vet by under their care. What is not acceptable is having someone who has no idea what they're doing, doing this at home for all the wrong reasons.. I do feel she got a harsh sentence. I think the judge made an example of her as in "Don't even think about doing to your pets" so it's a good thing. That is the proper message to be sent to anyone even considering doing this. It's sick and awful and cruel.
                      www.gomobileandsucceed.com
                      http://thesuccessfulpetgroomer.com

Comment

wet nose, I think you hit it on the nose lol
                        she was doing for the wrong reasons. hmmm something else to think about.

Comment

I was thinking about this at work today and I figured out the reason I have such a problem with this. We occasionally have to hurt or discomfit our pets. A couple of my pets really hate having their nails done but I still do them because it is good for them. I can't understand hurting my pets for my own vanity. That is what I think is wrong.
                          "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Comment

even if she came up with a viable reason for doing it, cat skin tears so easily, she had to have made a mess of the kittens.

Comment

Working...
                            X