Wheat gluten

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheat gluten

So if they are recalling can dog food because of a question of bad wheat gluten , why are they limiting it to just can foods when their dry foods have wheat gluten in it too? You would think it would be bad in ALL their foods!!

Perhaps the dry foods are manufactured at a different plant? Or the new gluten meal was only used in the wet foods they manufacture, and not the dry foods. Supposing that plant manufactures dry food at all.

Comment

I am just playing it safe and not buying any names that were off that list of recalled foods, whether they are dry food or not. The website was on a different thread that gave all names of recalled dog and cat foods.

Comment

I don't feed my dog any of those foods either but I have alot of customers that do.

Comment

Has any one heard of one of your clients or friends getting sick because of bad food?

Comment

Yes

One of my clients little dog had symptoms of kidney problems, not eating, drinking tons of water, low energy. No fever. Just over a week ago. The Vet gave her some antibiotics. She seems to have recovered, but I'm still suggesting she call the pet food company. She seems to not want to. She was feeding a pouch of the kind of gravy food, with the dates mentioned. I think it was Nutro, but I don't remember for sure.
            Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

I had a client call me yesterday. She's in her 90's - sweetest ole thing.... she was crying because she feeds her dog Eucanuba and had seen something on the news yesterday morning about this food ordeal. She said her dog was almost out of food, but she was afraid to buy him more, and he won't eat the food her Vet suggested she buy. Since I hadn't heard much about it, I didn't know what to say to her. So this is ONLY canned food? I'm pretty sure she told me she buys her dog dry food and I would like to call her today and put her mind at ease.

Comment

Yes only canned or pouched food

Has something to do with a Gluten product, they believe, that they used to thicken "sauce/gravy". None of the companies dry foods are said to be affected in any way so your sweet lady, Scrubapup, should feel confident with what she has been feeding her baby.
                Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

From my understanding, all these pet foods were manufactured by Diamond, right?

My concern is that Diamond makes MANY other brands, incuding Solid Gold and some higher end products. I don't *think* dry Solid Gold has wheat gluten, but I'm sure checking because my cats eat it!

I have to say, this makes me lean even heavier to smaller private companies like Wysong, Merrick, etc, who manufacturer their own product in their own plants in smaller amounts.

Comment

Menu Foods

Menu foods and just the wet "Cuts and Gravy" and the reason their saying the wheat glueten is because all this started happening about the time the got a new supplier.

This has happened to certain dry foods in the past. I can vaguely remember Nature's Recipe in the early 90's being recalled. Basically the wheat was contaimted either before Menu foods got it, or while they had it. Think Salem Witch Trails (moldly or fungusy grain caused the mass hysteria)

Once reports for sick pets started happening, Menu foods did their own test on 40-60 (sorry can't pin down the number) and found 1 out of 6 pets died. Cats are more likely than the dogs because they are delicate creatures.

If you see any symtoms call your vet immediatly. If you catch it early your less likey to bad results. Don't wait Renal failure is a very bad thing.

By the way Proctor and Gamble who owns Iams and Eukanuba was one of the first to pull the cans off the shelf, and basically forced Menu foods to pull the rest.

Reatilers have pulled all effected cans and pouches from their shelves.

Nutro and Iams/Eukanba have pulled all their cans made by Menu foods to be on the safe side. It was pretty interesting to walk down the cat food asle yesterday at my work. Looked like one of those mad rushes before a hurricane.
                    Never gonna know if you never even try

Comment

Originally posted by Chicken View Post
                      From my understanding, all these pet foods were manufactured by Diamond, right?

My concern is that Diamond makes MANY other brands, incuding Solid Gold and some higher end products. I don't *think* dry Solid Gold has wheat gluten, but I'm sure checking because my cats eat it!

I have to say, this makes me lean even heavier to smaller private companies like Wysong, Merrick, etc, who manufacturer their own product in their own plants in smaller amounts.
                      It's not Diamond this time. They did have a problem with contaminated grain (I think it was corn) several months ago. That situation has been resolved for quite a while now.

Even though I feed California Natural, I had to double check the cans to be sure; no wheat anything. No grains at all in the Herring and sweet potato. Whiz get's canned Evo (Oli can't eat it, it makes him sick), and there are no grains in that, either.

Comment

Working...
                      X