Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now it's CORN Gluten recall

It's only in South Africa but will be here soon too:

See all latest news, recalls, entertainment, and local info.
    « Recall Update: ThursdayHighlights from FDA’s Press Conference »Melamine in Corn Gluten Linked to South African Pet Illnesses
    The 29 cases of renal failure in South Africa has been linked to melamine in corn gluten used in pet food. Corn gluten is used extensively in the US.

Tests have confirmed that Vets Choice and Royal Canin dog and cat dry pet-food products contained corn gluten contaminated with melamine, says the manufacturer.

The contaminated corn gluten was delivered to Royal Canin by a South African third-party supplier and appears to have originated from China.

We were tracking cases of the South African pet deaths before and have heard rumors of corn gluten contamination.

At this point, we believe that all corn gluten should be considered at risk for contamination and should be tested by every pet food manufacturer and the FDA.

Please help us track all pet food that contains corn gluten in this Forums thread.

Update: 30 pets die from contaminated food. A stunning quote:

An independent pathologist, Professor Fred Reyers said the outbreak may not be an isolated incident. He believed there was sufficient evidence to suggest a link between this outbreak and a similar one in Cape Town as well as one in the United States.

EDITOR’S NOTE: It was a difficult decision (and we know that some will accuse us of sparking panic) but based on patterns of development and expansion of recall in the US, Itchmo has issued an email Safety Alert to pet parents out of abundance of caution. We believe all pet parents should be given the information to make informed judgements to form their own reactions. We believe it is not up to us to decide what you should or shouldn’t know.

We stress that NO US OR CANADIAN CONNECTION HAS BEEN REPORTED.

(Thanks to Howl911)

Cities: All

When people kept saying it was terrorist stuff, I shrugged it off thinking what would terrorists want with our pets??? Then someone said to me that they were just testing the waters to see how easy it would get into the country and their real intent is human food. Now THAT'S scary I think!!!
    Erin
    No Fur, No Paws, No Service.

Comment

That and

all the reports that "all" can read of how Americans think of their pets as family. They could get to the heart of us by endangering our pets? I can't say I think that, but I'm sure beginning to feel some fear of something awful.
      Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

so worried now

I searched the internet. I found something that might make some sense. An article was saying that nitrogen is produced by melamine and that testers for protein might see the nitrogen and see the grain based product as having more protein. The article was suggesting that suppliers? might be adding melamine to the food to spike the protein level appearance.

Too busy tomorrow, and not sleeping now. I need a good dream.
        Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

The FDA was just on NPR this morning stating that they think these companies have deliberately added melamine to foods to artificially boost protein levels.

I don't think this recall is over by a long shot now. Natural Balance/Royal Canin and other top manufacturers are involved, it's now wheat, rice, and corn - there will be more recalls, more deaths. If pet owners are not outraged, they should be. For long enough, there has been no decent governing body presiding over the manufacturers of pet foods (AAFCO is a joke). It's high time we start demanding better.

And on that note, I'm not feeding anything else commercially prepared, by anyone.

Comment

I use nutro max ultra puppy. Hope like heck they don't get dragged in on this too! interesting note: I had a 17 year old Golden Retriever the other day who was fed only boiled chicken and rice daily, followed by a bowl of cheerios at 9pm every evening! And she was in great shape. I was very surprised!

Comment

Originally posted by hairdevil View Post
              I use nutro max ultra puppy. Hope like heck they don't get dragged in on this too! interesting note: I had a 17 year old Golden Retriever the other day who was fed only boiled chicken and rice daily, followed by a bowl of cheerios at 9pm every evening! And she was in great shape. I was very surprised!
              I don't know if it was all types of Nutro, but Nutro was on the original Menu Foods list as contaminated.

Comment

nutro max ultra puppy canned is on the list
                http://www.nutroproducts.com/mfproductlist.asp

Comment

i feed ultra dry, but decided this past weekend i will now feed Lifes Abundance. these companies are rediculous and Im not trusting any of them now...I am going to sell this food in my shop also. check it out...heathypetnet.com very nice

Comment

Contaminated Food

I guess if terrorists didn't think of doing something like this, they will now.

It was on CNN this AM that they are now considering that our food may also be contaminated.

Comment

Originally posted by RightlookPets View Post
                      I guess if terrorists didn't think of doing something like this, they will now.

It was on CNN this AM that they are now considering that our food may also be contaminated.
                      Well, I was waiting for that to happen. So scary.

Stephen: Keep in mind that the news ALSO said that some of the contaminated foods were NOT imported too. Some people still think it is all imported.
                      Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

Working...
                      X