Tainted pet food still on shelves, FDA says

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tainted pet food still on shelves, FDA says

Contaminated pet food is still being sold at some stores, U.S. health officials warned on Thursday after checking hundreds of retail outlets.

The Food and Drug Administration said it had inspected about 400 stores nationwide and still found some dog and cat food products affected by last month's recall by Canada-based pet food maker Menu Foods Income Fund and other manufacturers.

"FDA believes most companies have removed the recalled product; however, some have not," the agency said in a statement.

The announcement comes two days after Menu Foods expanded its recall to include more types of cat food. Last week it also widened its alert to include products with earlier production dates as well as dozens of more varieties.

Initially, the company recalled 60 million cans and pouches of wet pet food sold under various brands including Procter & Gamble Co.'s Iams and Eukanuba as well as store brands sold at Wal-Mart Stores Inc. and Safeway Inc..

A number of other companies including Colgate-Palmolive Co.'s Hill's Pet Nutrition Inc., Nestle SA's Purina PetCare Co. and Del Monte Pet Products have also recalled certain products.

FDA officials have said the affected foods contained wheat gluten contaminated with melamine, an industrial chemical used in plastics and fertilizer. But the agency is still investigating what caused the confirmed death of 16 cats and dogs. About 12,000 pets have been reported ill.

The ingredient was shipped by China-based Xuzhou Anying Biologic Technology Development Co. Ltd. to ChemNutra Inc. of Las Vegas, which then sold it to Menu Foods and other makers, according to the FDA. The Chinese company has denied involvement.

"FDA's priority is to make sure that cats and dogs have safe food to eat," Dr. Stephen Sundlof, head of FDA's Center for Veterinary Medicine, said in the statement.

Sundlof is scheduled to appear before a Senate Appropriations subcommittee later on Thursday to discuss the pet food scare.

Sen. Richard Durbin (news, bio, voting record), the Illinois Democrat who announced the hearing, has said he wants the FDA to work with U.S. states to improve manufacturing inspections as well as create a new database for veterinarians and pet owners to report concerns.

Representative for Menu Foods will not appear before lawmakers. Senators had invited Menu Foods to testify at the hearing, according to congressional staff, but the company instead asked to be represented by the Pet Food Institute, an industry group.
    Most questions regarding GroomerTALK are answered in the Board Help Talk Forum. Thanks for coming to our community a part of PetGroomer.com https://www.petgroomer.com.

pet recall

Has anyone heard anything bad about pedigree dog food? I am feeding my cocker cans of pedigree and my other dog who is over weight gets purina dry food for weight maintenance

Duke

Comment

Food and Drug Administration prohibits the use of some antibiotics for animals for the benefits of the consumer. Farmer’s regular habit is giving of antibiotics to their livestock to ensure the health and weight gained for good market value, but the FDA limits them from using antibiotics because it could affect the health of every consumers. Source: MatchFinancial.com

Comment

Originally posted by duke View Post
        Has anyone heard anything bad about pedigree dog food? I am feeding my cocker cans of pedigree and my other dog who is over weight gets purina dry food for weight maintenance

Duke
        Not sure about any recent recalls if that's what you're asking, but just anything bad? Yeah pedigree or purina isn't something I would ever give any of my pets. If you want info and help on the best possible nutrition, there's lots of us on here that would be more than happy to lend a hand with it.

Comment

Originally posted by duke View Post

Duke
          There was just a recall on pedigree dry foods a couple months back. check dog food advisor for updates.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by killerpaws View Post
            There was just a recall on pedigree dry foods a couple months back. check dog food advisor for updates.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
            That post you replied to is from 2007.
            <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

I noticed that too Parti....we are seeing a lot of old posts lately. On another forum board I'm on, when that happens it is reported as spam.

namaste...dogma

Comment

lol damnit, it's Donyahuntsmans fault

Comment

Working...
                X