Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"A Summer Shave Is Not for Everyone" from the Univ. of Illinois College of Vet. Med.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "A Summer Shave Is Not for Everyone" from the Univ. of Illinois College of Vet. Med.

Link:

http://www.aces.uiuc.edu/news/stories/news5154.html

Joy

Thanks for sharing I am going to print it out for informational purposes for clients to read.

Comment

Maggots!

Wow, that is disgusting! lol...... I was wondering what people had to say about the 'to shave or not to shave' debate-this is good info! So yes, thanks for sharing!

Comment

This vet needs to clarify

Has she ever lived in Georgia, Tennessee or further south during the summer????? Perhaps she meant to speak only for dogs in Illinois?

Maybe Illinois isn't very hot and doesn't have a long summer, but having a wet dog that "might" get maggots is surely not the only concern we should have for a dog with a heavy coat!!

Comment

Sure, a yard dog who's coat is maintained would be best not clipped short. Unfortunately I don't have many yard dog clients that fit this description. They come in matted to the skin and have to be shaved. I always try to leave a little on them for protection, but often that is not even posssible.
          SheilaB from SC

Comment

Originally posted by Debbiedogs View Post
            Has she ever lived in Georgia, Tennessee or further south during the summer????? Perhaps she meant to speak only for dogs in Illinois?

Maybe Illinois isn't very hot and doesn't have a long summer, but having a wet dog that "might" get maggots is surely not the only concern we should have for a dog with a heavy coat!!
            I live in Illlinois. I can assure you that summers here are hot, humid, and long. It's April. Our temperatures have been in the high 70s to high 80s for several weeks. In the summer, it's not unusual for our temps to top 100 and stay there for days, and we also often have 100% humidity. Some days it's so hot and humid you expect the fish to pop up out of the river and go for a swim around town. When things get damp around here, they tend to stay damp.

We also have a lot of lakes, ponds, rivers, creeks, and mud holes. A lot of dogs use those to cool off. Then they don't get dry all the way to the skin, resulting in bad hot spots and yes, maggots.

I agree with the vet. I don't recommend shavedowns unless the dog is a yard dog or working farm dog who doesn't get brushed very often and is likely to spend a lot of time damp. If the dog in question has a properly maintained coat, has shelter and access to water, and an owner who doesn't think taking Phydough for a run when it's 99 degrees with 100% humidity is a good idea, the dogs around here (including my Malamute) do just fine with a full coat.

The only thing I think the vet missed the point on was shaving sheep. We don't shave them to keep them cool. We shave them to sell the wool.

Comment

Great article. Can you find an article that will scare every lab owner away from shaving them? I HATE shaving short haired dogs but some owners will insist on it. I'm pretty great at refusing to shave those Nordic breeds.
              "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Comment

Working...
              X