China firm denies role in pet deaths food scare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• China firm denies role in pet deaths food scare

A Chinese company at the centre of a contamination scare that has led to a recall of pet foods in North America and Europe said on Friday it had never exported wheat gluten to the United States.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) said wheat gluten from China's Xuzhou Anying Biologic Technology Development Company Ltd. contained an industrial chemical called melamine, which was suspected of causing the deaths of 16 cats and dogs.

But a manager at Xuzhou Anying told Reuters the company was cooperating with the Chinese government to investigate the allegations and insisted the firm was only a domestic feed dealer that had not produced anything itself.

"We haven't sold an ounce of wheat gluten to the U.S. and I don't understand how come they are blaming us," the manager, surnamed Mao, said by telephone.

Anying's company profiles on the Internet describe it as a feed manufacturer and exporter.

China's quarantine authorities said the country was carrying out a nationwide inspection on the quality of its wheat gluten.

"Sampling and examination are under way," the official Xinhua news agency quoted Xia Wenjun, an official at the General Administration of Quality Supervision, Inspection and Quarantine, as saying.

Earlier this week, the administration said that China had never exported wheat or wheat gluten to the United States, a main wheat producer, or to Canada, where Menu Foods is based.

Xia said officials would stay in touch with the U.S. Embassy in Beijing on the results of the inspection but made no comment on Xuzhou Anying.

Menu Foods has recalled a variety of its pet food products in the United States, Canada and Europe.

The FDA had said the suspect wheat gluten had been sold by Anying to ChemNutra Inc. of Las Vegas, which in turn had sold the wheat gluten to Menu Foods and a few other companies that have since recalled pet products.

FDA officials said they were uncertain whether melamine had actually caused the pets to become ill. They said limited studies have found melamine is "fairly nontoxic," but investigators are considering whether dogs and cats might be especially sensitive to it, or whether another chemical may also have been present.

Chinese authorities have also dismissed New York state officials' earlier claim that Chinese gluten might have contained aminopterin, a toxin used in rat poison, and might have caused the pet deaths.
    Most questions regarding GroomerTALK are answered in the Board Help Talk Forum. Thanks for coming to our community a part of PetGroomer.com https://www.petgroomer.com.

WOW and double wow..who is passing the buck here?

Comment

That is so scary that they can't trace the supplier of a food source!!! You would think that better records would be kept. This has made me really really wonder and worry about what I am putting in my body every time I open a can of food. If THEY don't know what is in it or where it comes from how do I???
      SheilaB from SC

Comment

and when politics are involved, you can't believe any of what you hear anyway...I'm sure nobody is willing to take the blame..and you're right Sheila..no telling what we're eating!! My grandmother is 87 years old. Not on any meds. Never been in the hospital. Her last physical the dr. said she was healthier than most 50 year olds! reason why I believe? She NEVER buys anything that is premade. She gardens, raises her own vegetables, freezes them or cans them herself. Everything she cooks is from scratch. NOTHING IN A BOX!! that should tell us something? lol I know we don't have time, but really if you think about it...its worth it if you have a healthier life and live longer!

Comment

Originally posted by hairdevil View Post
          and when politics are involved, you can't believe any of what you hear anyway...I'm sure nobody is willing to take the blame..and you're right Sheila..no telling what we're eating!! My grandmother is 87 years old. Not on any meds. Never been in the hospital. Her last physical the dr. said she was healthier than most 50 year olds! reason why I believe? She NEVER buys anything that is premade. She gardens, raises her own vegetables, freezes them or cans them herself. Everything she cooks is from scratch. NOTHING IN A BOX!! that should tell us something? lol I know we don't have time, but really if you think about it...its worth it if you have a healthier life and live longer!
          I have a great aunt like that. She is going to be 87 this summer. She still lives alone, surfs, gardens etc. and has her whole life. She grows and cans her own food and cooks everything from scratch.

I started cooking from scratch and Bubba lost 30 lbs in a little over a month. Homemade pizza, real semolina pasta and mexican food are divine. So are you coming over for dinner or what? LOL I will share my gravy recipe if you want.

Comment

Yes, very scary indeed. All the overly processed stuff we eat, loaded with chemicals-no wonder cancer and other diseases are on the rise. For us and our pets too. Even our 'fresh' produce is loaded with chems. Hard to know exactly what we're putting in our mouths. Hope they eventually find out where this stuff came from...and they tell us the truth.
            Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

LOL, China always denies any wrong doing, (Sorry China!).

When I lived in Korea, they sold frozen whole crabs to the Koreans in large quantities. They got more money for more weight. Then they found lead in the crabs. But NOOOOO, China had nothing to do with it. I guess Chinese crabs like eating lead? I just had to throw this in. This could be correct, there may be nothing to do with China, and it is wrong to blame innocent people (or countries) like this.

Tammy in Utah
              Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

There is alot to be said about the way & things we eat today. My neighbor is 97 1/2yrs.old and her & her husband always had a huge garden & bought sides of beef for the freezer, plus they had apple,pear & cherry trees. So they never bought hardly anything at the store but staples & milk. All she did was can & froze foods. He was 98 when he died.
                But now our fruits, vegetables & meat we buy from the stores have recalls on them, what is going on?

Comment

Whats going on? in my opinion there is definitely an agenda. I'm not going to say much more other than I feel every one should just take a good hard look at the state of affairs all around.

Comment

gosh Soap! sounds great! what time is dinner? I wish I could just hire a maid and let her do the grocery shopping and cooking around here. Probably be cheaper for me, since my daughter and I eat out all the time! We're probably so toxic we glow in the dark by now! lol

Comment

Working...
                    X