how to deal with working at spca

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to deal with working at spca

i am grooming at spca for four weeks now and finding it very hard to deal with sad little faces, I feel great when a dog I groom gets adopted. But I just groomed a little peke that is old probably 12 or so an so little and so cute and she and I bonded and they dont let me have dogs at my apartment where I just moved in with my gf. I even have to board my cocker spaniel with the other kennel I groom for, which is a nice show kennel and she is well cared for and happy and all, but the main issue i am on here for is i am wondering how others deal with grooming for the spca and if they are having their heartstrings pulled and wanting to bring little ones or unwanted ones home.

I used to work @ a petsomething that had Humane Society pets onsite for adoption. It was hard. It's depressing to see the same ones get ignored because they're older, or not as outgoing, or whatever. I was happy for the ones that found homes, and I tried to give them a little extra individual tlc when we weren't really busy, but I don't know how you stop feeling sad & frustrated about their plight. It's a tough thing to be around when you love animals. Sorry I have no good advice, but good luck to you.

Comment

i dont know what to tell you about working with and continuing to work with all of the sad faces -- its so hard to see them and their innocence. what i can tell you is i think what you do is by far one of the most commendable jobs there is. and certainly the most difficult. you give those dogs love for a little while and you groom them so that they stand a better chance of being adopted. and they feel good about themselves again. you are doing the best thing there is.

Comment

That is a very difficult and necessary job you are doing. Console yourself w/the thought that you are giving these babies a better chance for adoption by getting them cleaned and prettied up. If it gets to be too much for you, maybe take a break from it and then go back when you feel you can handle it. Don't beat yourself up because you have a big heart and feel empathy for these poor little guys, you are doing a good thing!
        SheilaB from SC

Comment

You have far more intestinal fortitude than I do because I just couldn't do it. I can't even go look at them at the HS-I get too emotional and end up leaving in tears.

Comment

guess that job place at spca is not for you. or another idea since people dont adopt older dogs try places like nursery homes or advertise for old people they might want settled dog that's not too wild or young for them to handle

Comment

I used to work at the SPCA also, and am also thinking about going in and grooming dogs for them soon. YOU DO MAKE A DIFFERENCE!! Dont forget that. If you are grooming them they are more likely to be adopted. If they dont get adopted (for whatever unfortunate reason), then at least you know you helped them feel more comfy and loved. And let them know that some of us humans arent so bad. I know it is hard, I wanted to take alot of the dogs home with me. I even wanted some cats, and I am not typically a "cat person". Just pet them and love on them when you can, if that is all you can do, then that is all you can do. Do your best, noone can do more than that!!

Comment

I feel for you. I could not do it, my heart would just break. I try to get to the SPCA once a month to give all the animals treats and I leave in tears!

Comment

I used to work at the spca but as kennel manager. i understand the "getting attached to the dogs". They have a way of getting to you, especially when you meet the new scared ones who start coming around and getting a personality. Where I worked, they did not have a groomer, let alone a bather, so the dogs did not get groomed. Enjoy your work and cherish the time you spend witht these dogs, you may be the only attention they really get.

Comment

I, too, work in a salon where animals are kept in the store for adoption. First, we give all of our adoptees inmeasurable attention and affection. If it doesn't come from me, it comes from one of the other groomers. Second, we "market" them to the community. If we see someone looking thru into the cage, we give them a bit of "history" about the animal and how he behaves. Third, the knowledge that these furry children have a warm bed, clean water and daily meals is enough to keep me going.

Comment

I do volunteer grooming at a shelter too. My first week I took a dog home who had been there for a year and a half. So maybe I'm not the best person to ask!

I do know what you mean though - it is heartbreaking. BUT, you are making a difference. To those animals, you may be the only person to spend time with them, offer a kind word, a pat on the head. The shelter dogs & cats are so grateful for any attention it makes it all worthwhile for me. And then when someone adopts one of the critters you've just made pretty, it makes you feel like a million bucks.

Comment

yeah it is making me feel like a million bucks when they get adopted and the ones i have groomed recognize me and great me when i walk down the hall past the cages, i am going to see if i can take some of them out and play with them in the get acquainted room in my spare time.

Comment

I just saw this thread, what a coincidence! I emailed the SPCA in my area and told them about my new shop opening. I offered free grooming to help the dogs get adopted and a little pampering. They were thrilled, they have been PAYING another groomer. I thought this sad, because they rarely have more then 4-5 dogs at one time.

My weakness is cute, fluffy, small breed puppies...

Comment

I have worked for the SPCA for years before I started mobile grooming. It is hard, focus on the adoptions, rarely we had to put down anyone that was just old. We always had a pet of the week, for the ones that were getting close to the deadline. You can also if they keep one, go through the list of pets people want. Also, go through the rescues, yourself. Sometimes these people are busy and calls get missed. I have used friends, my mom and dad, and have talked alot of people into fostering them. I called my mom one night at 8pm, we had just gotten a two kittens in that were two days old, they were going to euth them. no one could find someone to foster them. I called my mom, and said hey mom, how would u like to bottle feed two, two day old kittens for 8 weeks.. lol..she still has them, 6 yrs later..

Comment

I volunteer at the local Humane Society...and while it can be very difficult to work with homeless animals, some of whom don't seem likely to find a home, just remember that you are making a difference in making these animals more adoptable. You are putting the needs of the pets in front of your own feelings and that is commendable.

Comment

Working...
                              X