Why does everyone call themselves "Groomers"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does everyone call themselves "Groomers"

Why do we still call ourselves "groomers" when in my world I am a pet stylist? Can someone shed some light on groomer vs stylist?

I personally attribute "pet stylist" with a Pet-something. If I didn't have that connotation I may call myself that. However it does, so it's "groomer for me." Maybe I'll be a pet barber. Barbers back in the day knew their way around a pair of shears.
    That Tenacious Terrier!
    www.thattenaciousterrier.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ThatTenaciousTerrier

Comment

i think it's more habit than anything. but as the saying goes
      "That which we call a rose. By any other name would smell as sweet."
      Wm. Shakespeare
      Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
      "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Comment

I prefer "pet stylist" myself and this has been a heated topic a few times on here. While I prefer being called a "stylist", most everybody in the public has always referred to us as groomers and there are times it's just easier to accept the title "groomer".
        I have a totally different thought of what a "groomer" is compared to that of a "pet stylist"
        ~*~*~Shawn, C.M.G.~*~*~
        Apparently common sense isn't all that common
        *~*~emipoo on egroomer*~*~*

Comment

No, no light to shed

Well, some people are picky about which one they like to be called, but when I started grooming there was no alternative moniker being tossed around, just dog groomer. And there were good ones and not-so-good ones. Same as today, it seems to me, no matter what someone wants to call themselves. (Although perhaps calling ourselves by a more catchy title may bring more money - looked what happened to some mutts that are now called GoldenDoodles, for instance. <snicker>)

Comment

Sorry, but I would feel a little silly introducing myself to someone as a "pet stylist". I'm just fine with pet groomer. That's what most people know us as anyway.
            Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

I am going to quote one of the characters in one of my favorite movies (A Knights Tale)
              " Sometimes I'm both."
              The ocean is a desert with it's life underground and the perfect disguise above><((((؛>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((؛>¸.
              ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((؛>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((؛>

Comment

I call myself a "groomer" because I groom dogs for dog owners.

I do not "style" the "pet children" of "pet parents".

Comment

Originally posted by Tat2DGroomer View Post
                  " Sometimes I'm both."
                  Well said
                  ~*~*~Shawn, C.M.G.~*~*~
                  Apparently common sense isn't all that common
                  *~*~emipoo on egroomer*~*~*

Comment

i refer to myself as a dog groomer or canine beautician,depending on the company i'm keeping LOL!
                    & i couldnt agree more with doubledogdare!

Comment

As said this has

been around the block on here before. I am a Dog Groomer. Sometimes I get to style but in spite of great customers, it's often clip and bathe. Short all over, short on the back, teddy bear head. A few Bichons and terriers and one Poodle that are styled like breed standard or fancy Poodle trim but most are just groomed. If I was a stylist could I still bathe, clip nails, do sanitarys, trim out pads, wipe out ears?

It really doesn't matter one bit to me what you call me though truthfully.
                      Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

Its what u want it 2 b

Sometimes people make a big deal out of nutin'
                        Some parts of the country want an image that reflects what they do & others don't.
                        If you live in Beverly Hills or Park Ave you might want to use Stylist, but in the south most of us answer to groomer. If your old enough 2 remember when the term stylist 1st came out for the 2 legged type it meant different things 2 different people, women went 2 "Beauty Shops" & their person was know as a "Cosmetologists", men went 2 barber shops & they were cut by barbers. Nobody mad a big deal out of it.

I happy to be called employed. We got into this business 2 make our friends look beautiful.
                        Does this mean I must change the name of my business to mobile pet stylist & hope people know what that means, I have people call me up & want 2 know what I do now, they are still not aware of the concept that it can be done mobile.

Remember the name that u give you self does not make u good or bad "ITS YOUR WORK OR FINISHED PRODUCT."
                        A few names that we are called:
                        1) Groomer
                        2) Pet Stylist
                        3) C.A.T (aka: Caine Appereance Techinian)

Hope dis make u upset but its food for fooder

Comment

How about 'doggie detailer'

Comment

Originally posted by Arrooh View Post
                            It really doesn't matter one bit to me what you call me though truthfully.
                            Like my Grandpa used to say . . . "call me anything you want, just don't call me late for dinner . . ."

I personally prefer pet stylist but like it's already been said, sometimes I'm both.

Comment

Originally posted by Doubledogdare View Post
                              I call myself a "groomer" because I groom dogs for dog owners.

I do not "style" the "pet children" of "pet parents".
                              ROLF! That is a good one, DoubleDog!

I personally have heard many people say that they make the notice of a difference in "title" being associated with "stylists" being the ones who are proactive on extending and continuing their educations,,,, how do others think about that correlation?
                              I think it is an upward trend title.
                              ...if it helps one feel more professional and better acknowledged for their efforts, more power to them!
                              Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
                              www.ChrisSertzel.com

Comment

Working...
                              X